CBS requests information from DC area vapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
She let me know that I was not the type of person she was looking for (someone representing an organization.) She wanted to talk with "ordinary" people who use e-cigarettes. She also wanted to talk with a doctor from the local area.

Elaine, I find it quite amusing that she wanted to speak to "ordinary people" rather than a representative of an organization created by ordinary people and represented by eloquent, knowledgeable extraordinary ordinary people, dedicated to ordinary people's interest. At the same time, she's talking to the FDA and the ALA that are highly paid professionals dedicated to protecting the interest of their clients, the pharma industry.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I still say if CBS contacted the ECF that Rolygate should do the interview, or an upper ranking member, I have no clue why ECF would push this off to CASSA,,,,, They contacted ECF not CASSA, not vapors, but ECF,, and thats nothing against CASSA but CASSA WASNT the one contacted ECF WAS CONTACTED BY CBS, if they wanted to interview CASSA or vapors then they would have simply contacted them. I also say NOT to let the reporter control this situation and let them tell you everything there looking for, ECF should control this interview NOT the reporter, this way some very good pointS and truths can be heard, instead of just what the reporter want's and reports.

This was an initial Great opportunity for ECF, I have no clue why they shrugged it off

ECF > RE-Think this please, Call CBS back and set up the interview with them, and take the Bull by the horns with this situation and turn it into a great opportunity.

There are good reasons why we wanted CASAA to handle this.

Firstly, ECF is an internet resource, the actual personnel on the ground are the community organizations such as CASAA. We do have between 20 to 25 staff but they are spread across the USA and between Fl and Australia. We don't have a staff member in the DC area.

Also keep in mind our staff are ordinary people and not used to dealing with the media, it is not as simple as you may think. Almost always, the press have an agenda. You might not like to hear that, as a consumer of their output, but they are rarely neutral as it doesn't sell papers or get ratings on TV news. They usually have an angle and they arrange things to suit. An ordinary person will be completely taken in by this and may end up assisting them in their design. Normal people think the 'news' is reported as bare fact, and that if they are 'in the right', then everything will be OK. All that ended decades ago and it's a lot worse now with rating wars.

You need experienced people who understand the nuances of the situation. CASAA has people who are not only familiar with the issues, but also familiar with the different agendas out there, and the players. This is probably even more important than knowledge of ecigs etc, to be honest. You may think that it is just a question of putting the facts over correctly and it's job done - but nothing could be further from the truth - especially in the case of a TV interview, which is the hardest thing of all to manage successfully. A TV crew can make a saint look like a mass murderer if they want to, and you have to be aware of that or you will just be a babe in the woods.

I've been on TV about half a dozen times in the past and the experience was on the whole enjoyable and successful - but I would not do it now, things have changed and it is predominantly agenda-based reporting now. It's too easy for them to manipulate what you say to turn it into something else, and also to make you look less than competent. I've seen that done to colleagues both to their benefit and their detriment; knowing exactly what was said at the time gives you an unusual view of the news, because to be honest, it sometimes feels as if you must have been at a different place. Radio or print are different, and far easier to manage well.

In this particular instance we can already see they have an agenda, mistakenly revealed by the reporter: they have input from the anti orgs but will not allow a balanced discussion by also giving airtime to consumer organizations. Expect a hatchet job. I'm sorry to say this but the news is what they want it to be. And you can't really blame them, if you ever come across some totally neutral reporting, it will leave you with a slightly empty feeling, subconsciously wondering what to think. The media have solved that problem for you, they subliminally tell you what to think, therefore you feel a lot happier, and so you switch that channel on tomorrow and tomorrow.

You'll just have to take it on trust from me, I'm afraid: ECF knows what it's doing :)

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Update: Bill Godshall and I are attending a conference. I had to turn off my cell phone. When I turned it back on, I found a voice mail from the reporter, saying that she has decided that it would be a good thing to interview me. The bad news is that she wanted me to meet her at 10 a.m. tomorrow. Unfortunately a) the meetings go through 1 p.m. tomorrow, and b) I have agreed to drive Prof. Polosa back to DC to catch his plane back to Italy tomorrow. It would be very bad form to leave him in the lurch. I called her back but got voice mail. I preferred not to do a turn-down via a message and left a message for her to call me back. Haven't heard from her so I will try again first thing tomorrow.

It's nice to be popular, but..... *sigh*

dee5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Northwest Arkansas
"Too bad the show "60 Minutes" isn't around anymore. 60 Minutes would be a perfect platform for educating America on the truth about ecigs."

60 Minutes IS still new and on the air. And I agree, I think if any news show is going to do us justice, it would be 60 Minutes.
And Elaine, can't you clone yourself? Geez, come on! (hehehe)

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Elaine- all you have to do is convince the reporter to meet you after 1...then all is solved. Glad that the reporter wants to interview you after all. If she wants a vaper- you're it!!! You're part of CASAA but were a vaper first... vaping got you to join CASAA...it's a no-brainer. You go girl!!

Fingers crossed things will work out after all!!! :)

Now I can go to sleep and rest in peace!!

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Elaine, I find it quite amusing that she wanted to speak to "ordinary people" rather than a representative of an organization created by ordinary people and represented by eloquent, knowledgeable extraordinary ordinary people, dedicated to ordinary people's interest. At the same time, she's talking to the FDA and the ALA that are highly paid professionals dedicated to protecting the interest of their clients, the pharma industry.
I do not know how to to contact John Stossel,but he would be great interviewing Elaine and those she chose to be panelists--along with representatives from the FDA,ACS,etc. I think it would be a fair interview--well,maybe, he might show bias in our favor!

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Great News?
Yea ... IF the deck wasn't already stacked in the FDA's favor
The table is tilted folks ... the game is "rigged" (yet again)

In this particular instance we can already see they have an agenda, mistakenly revealed by the reporter: they have input from the anti orgs but will not allow a balanced discussion by also giving airtime to consumer organizations. Expect a hatchet job. I'm sorry to say this but the news is what they want it to be. And you can't really blame them, if you ever come across some totally neutral reporting, it will leave you with a slightly empty feeling, subconsciously wondering what to think. The media have solved that problem for you, they subliminally tell you what to think, therefore you feel a lot happier, and so you switch that channel on tomorrow and tomorrow.

Update: Bill Godshall and I are attending a conference. I had to turn off my cell phone. When I turned it back on, I found a voice mail from the reporter, saying that she has decided that it would be a good thing to interview me. The bad news is that she wanted me to meet her at 10 a.m. tomorrow. Unfortunately a) the meetings go through 1 p.m. tomorrow, and b) I have agreed to drive Prof. Polosa back to DC to catch his plane back to Italy tomorrow. It would be very bad form to leave him in the lurch. I called her back but got voice mail. I preferred not to do a turn-down via a message and left a message for her to call me back. Haven't heard from her so I will try again first thing tomorrow.
Wonder what motivated her to do a 100% "flip flop"
Did she read this thread?
Of course ... an interview is one thing and what she reports is something else.
Proof will be in the pudding !!!
:p

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I do not know how to to contact John Stossel,but he would be great interviewing Elaine and those she chose to be panelists--along with representatives from the FDA,ACS,etc. I think it would be a fair interview--well,maybe, he might show bias in our favor!

Luisa- I'm not sure if you are aware that John Stossel actually has written about e-cigs. Google 'the FDA kills smokers' to find the article. It would be cool to see him do some interviews and a full 'expose' on the situation.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Luisa- I'm not sure if you are aware that John Stossel actually has written about e-cigs.
Google 'the FDA kills smokers' to find the article. It would be cool to see him do some
interviews and a full 'expose' on the situation.
Article: Click Here
For those interested in an audio (MP3): Click Here

Last edited:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
The fact that she agreed to interview Elaine means she's either keeping up with this thread or she is actually interested in reporting the facts. I agree 100% that her blatently turning down anybody with a chance of fighting back speaks volumes, so the fact that she flipped on that also says something. Another thing that just crossed my mind is she would of interviewed one of us first, then hit up the FDA to rip apart our points. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

dagnagan

Jan 23, 2009
Southeast U.S.
Too often news stories on controversial issues go off the rails in the service of "balance." This CBS reporter will likely take all the research provided by Elaine, all the testimony of real people with actual experience, and "balance" it with the antis' "We are concerned..., We fear...., We don't know." The viewer is led to give equal weight to both sides, but in reality FEELINGS DON'T BALANCE FACTS!

They ought to teach that in journalism schools, but apparently they don't.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Elaine ...
Did you and the reporter hook-up ?
:confused:
Yes and No. I called her the next morning, after checking with Prof. Polosa to make sure that he didn't have any obligations to serve on panel or something during this morning's session, and made her an offer she couldn't refuse. I said that if she would be available during the afternoon, I could meet with her and bring along a special guest--Professor Riccardo Polosa, the Italian researcher who just completed a clinical trial of smoking cessation using an electronic cigarette. She asked about his background, and I recommended that she look him up on ClinicalTrials.gov. So she said she would talk to her producer and call back. Shortly afterwards, she called again and told us that she had arranged for the producer to meet us in the studio between 1 and 3 p.m. for filming.

We were interviewed separately (in the same room, but they used a different backdrop for each interview to make it appear that the setting had changed). Then they got some footage of him walking down a hallway, and then filmed me outside walking down the street, and then using my eGo C. Apparently the other vaper the reporter had already interviewed was using some type of box mod. I think we have the CBS news staff convinced that enforcement of indoor smoking bans would not be a problem due to folks mistaking our e-cigarettes for the real thing.

The producer told me that they would be editing the footage and putting the story together, hopefully by the end of the week. The story will be distributed to all the CBS affiliates across the country. So please keep your eyes peeled for the CBS story on e-cigarettes coming up some time soon, on a station near you.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
Thanks for the update ...Elaine!
Turned out much different than I anticipated.
Looking forward to seeing it on TV and hopefully there will be a video or YouTube
:)

I'm sure the link will be quite a topic of discussion here regardless of whether the segment comes off as a hatchet job or as fair reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread