Cellucotton (Rayon) VS. Japanese Cotton (Koh-Gen-Doh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
Rayon is pure cellulose made by man and the final extrusion is washed clean. Cotton is cellulose made by the plant and may contain whatever made it up the plant from the roots.
Rayon is cellulose (wood pulp, a natural product, not man made) that is melted down with chemicals and extruded into a fiber. Not sure why this would be any safer than organic cotton.

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
Probably because your using it like cotton. Your getting dry hits because your wick is too loose and not getting good contact on the coil.. The horrible taste is your juice dry burning on the coil not the rayon.

You should be using close to 2 times the thickness and density of cotton. It will be tight tighter than you can imagine, until it all the sudden it works... If you happen to go too tight you will taste the nutty/woody taste of rayon.. It also will not burn so don't worry about that. It will still vape well.

Rayon can/will burn, and put out toxic smoke while doing it.
That "nutty/woody taste" is wood.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
It will not burn when damp. I've been using it since 2013 and it has never burned in use.. The only thing that burns is juice when you let it go dry the coil will overheat and burn the juice. Rayon will keep itself wet enough not to burn

The smoke is the same as burning cigarette paper. We are not using clothing fabric rayon which has many treatments of chemicals because rayon doesn't take dye well.

Carbon monoxide is the byproduct of burning anything organic. What toxic smoke are you talking about? What source did you get this information?

Did two rounds of flame on when wick fired it till it dried and the juice lit up. Did this twice for 5 seconds the wick didn't burn but the burned juice tainted it. The smoke is the juice burning off the coil.

The final pic is after two burns. Sorry the focus is crap just switched from i5 to moto and the camera is not great.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Rayon is cellulose (wood pulp, a natural product, not man made) that is melted down with chemicals and extruded into a fiber. Not sure why this would be any safer than organic cotton.

The final product is purified cellulose. More pure than cotton . it's pure cellulose down to the molecular level. It is every bit as safe as cotton and actually safer. No pesticies or risidual components will be bound with the cellulose molecules.

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
It will not burn when damp. I've been using it since 2013 and it has never burned in use.. The only thing that burns is juice when you let it go dry the coil will overheat and burn the juice. Rayon will keep itself wet enough not to burn

The smoke is the same as burning cigarette paper. We are not using clothing fabric rayon which has many treatments of chemicals because rayon doesn't take dye well.

Carbon monoxide is the byproduct of burning anything organic. What toxic smoke are you talking about? What source did you get this information?

What does burn when it's damp? Unless it's damp with something flammable?
Cigarette paper smoke is toxic.
Carbon monoxide is toxic.
Rayon will only "keep itself wet enough not to burn" when it has something that is moist moistening it. It won't keep itself wet.
Rayon CAN burn.
It is made with chemical processes.

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
The final product is purified cellulose. More pure than cotton . it's pure cellulose down to the molecular level. It is every bit as safe as cotton and actually safer. No pesticies or risidual components will be bound with the cellulose molecules.

It is not pure down to the molecular level.
Ps. I also use rayon for wicking. But I understand its properties and downsides also. And realize it is made by bleaching cellulose, and melting it with chemicals. Put a torch to it, see how it burns.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
When its completely dry it will burn, obviously. I did a burn test in the very beginning, but its a fact that when there is enough density even dry rayon can be fire resistant..

If you have it in a device and the wick has been wet with juice, you will dry burn the coil before the wick gets burnt. It hard to burn it in normal use compared to cotton. So yes it will hold juice under those conditions.

The fact that it isn't burning and the amount in the coil is about as much as a cigarette paper your fear about toxic smoke is a little rediculous to be honest. What do you think come off burning cotton. Fresh air...... Put a torch to kogendo.

What is the cellulose bound with then, what source of information do you have?

It is routinely certified free from ANY potential harmful chemicals by oekotex the world wide leader in textile testing.

Last edited:

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
For me, it really depends on the build. If it's a build that requires the wick to make a sharp turn 90º or more (Like a split tail to take care of a long leg), I use cotton. If not, I use rayon. For some reason Rayon doesn't play well with bends for me :(

A bit of this also, I find rebuilding coil heads into a BVC-style really, really hard to pull off without KGD.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
After using both in my RTA, my feelings are mixed,

When it comes to flavor and vapor density, I am leaning towards the KGD. It gives me great flavor even off the first and second drag, as opposed to having to break in. I take it easy anyway at first to break it in anyway, but that's more so for making sure it's wicking well; not for flavor.

Cotton seems to absorb more liquid, whilst the Rayon seems to be more of a cappilary transporter. Because the cotton absorbs so much juice, there is more juice within the area of the coil, giving me what seems to be more flavor/more dense flavor.

However, Cotton also expands when it absorbs juice. When I'm using a MAX VG juice, I start having some problems with my KGD because it expands and it's a little tougher for air to escape. I keep the juice channels open, but I still have some problems with it wicking/releasing air, but I'm thinking that's more user error as opposed to anything else. I'm going to keep working on the KGD with MAX VG to try to get a good balance of cotton amount as to have it wick properly and keep up with chain-vaping.

Because of that, I seem to be having better luck with Rayon using MAX VG. I use more of it to fill the coil, and then juice it up to make it easy to work with. I cut the tails to the end of the deck, and press it down the sidewall of to the juice chamber so it sticks to the wall and just touches the bottom. It doesn't seem as absorbent as KGD (still wicks well, just differently) but liquid travels through it pretty quickly. Since it doesn't expand when wet, air has a lot easier of a time escaping through it and the juice.

Because I have to use more to fill the coil, the first few pulls I take tend to have a slightly off flavor; It's not like the Rayon is burning, but maybe it's just a little too tightly pressed against the coil. However, after a couple pulls off of it, this goes away (pretty quickly) and I am left with the flavor I enjoy, It is not as pronounced or potent as it is with KGD, but again I think that comes down to how it absorbs the liquid, and it is still satisfying,

Overall I like the KGD a whole lot more, but I also find it a little trickier to work with, Since the liquid doesn't cause Rayon to expand, I don't even have to thin out the tails after I trim them to size; I just press it down the sidewall after it's a little juiced up, and a thin layer sits touching the bottom perfectly,

I hope to become more proficient at wicking with KGD using MAX VG liquids, because the flavor I get is unmatched by anything else I've tried.

Reactions: hisionics

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
For me, it really depends on the build. If it's a build that requires the wick to make a sharp turn 90º or more (Like a split tail to take care of a long leg), I use cotton. If not, I use rayon. For some reason Rayon doesn't play well with bends for me :(

You have to thin the tails with a relief cut at the bend. I cut 70-80% off at the bend and in a dripper with a paper thin tail on the deck it wicks like a champ. Will run the well conpltely dry , not a drop left. Even the tails are back to dry. Its against all conventional wick methods you know and its hard for people to think how it can work, but rayon is completely different.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
I actually had that "wow holy ...." moment with KGD. Turns out I should split the pads in half and loosely roll a piece up, instead of just pulling a small rectangular piece through.

Lol. Pretty much the cause of any problems I had fixed by rolling it instead of just pulling a fat piece rectangle through.

Will try to work with Rayon more though. It just doesn't feel as comfortable to work with. I can use more of it, but volume of material seems to be my downfall, so that might not be a good thing

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
You have to thin the tails with a relief cut at the bend. I cut 70-80% off at the bend and in a dripper with a paper thin tail on the deck it wicks like a champ. Will run the well conpltely dry , not a drop left. Even the tails are back to dry. Its against all conventional wick methods you know and its hard for people to think how it can work, but rayon is completely different.

This x 1000. It's really counter-intuitive, but fat wick in the coil with the thinnest tails you can get away with works wonders. In my aqua clone builds, given enough boredom, you could count the strands in the juice channels. Huge fluffy shoulders and a coil jam-packed full of wick. No gurgling, no flooding and I've tried to get a dry hit but the vape gets too hot for me. With Japanese cotton, I could get no gurgling, no flooding but it would dry hit if chain vaping at high-ish power settings. Still a comfortable vape, but higher than I normally run. We'll call it, um, exhibition mode. :)

I think Jeremy and I thin our tails differently but get very similar results. I trim to the length I need and make an angled cut from the end-corner of the wick up to where I want the shoulder to stop. Then I dip a screwdriver in juice and sweep the shoulders up so I can trim the tails further. Obviously, this is slightly different on each atty based on terminal locations and deck layout.

Next time I re-wick a dripper, I'm absolutely going to try the relief cut thing. That sounds like it would alleviate a few problems I have when wicking my Fauxbo v2.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I actually had that "wow holy ...." moment with KGD. Turns out I should split the pads in half and loosely roll a piece up, instead of just pulling a small rectangular piece through.

Lol. Pretty much the cause of any problems I had fixed by rolling it instead of just pulling a fat piece rectangle through.

Will try to work with Rayon more though. It just doesn't feel as comfortable to work with. I can use more of it, but volume of material seems to be my downfall, so that might not be a good thing

Cory, here's a KGD method to increase the wow bro :)

http://youtu.be/lfOEoLumeR0

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
Cory, here's a KGD method to increase the wow bro :)

http://youtu.be/lfOEoLumeR0

no offense, but the only tip I got was removethat outside compressed layer, which I already do. Still better to roll it in to a round shape as opposed to leaving the rectangle, whether you use that layer or not.

also, if you take that compressed layer, and spread it out so the fibers seperate, you have another piece of (albeit thinner) wick. awesome for when you want to use a real tiny coil and not too much cotton

Reactions: hisionics
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread