Cellucotton (Rayon) VS. Japanese Cotton (Koh-Gen-Doh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
no offense, but the only tip I got was removethat outside compressed layer, which I already do. Still better to roll it in to a round shape as opposed to leaving the rectangle, whether you use that layer or not.

also, if you take that compressed layer, and spread it out so the fibers seperate, you have another piece of (albeit thinner) wick. awesome for when you want to use a real tiny coil and not too much cotton

I didn't understand the pull it ... But don't have it so tight the mod moves... What if I have a 3 pound mod?? That means nothing if you have a really heavy or really light mod, or you don't build on the mod. Not everyone builds on reos. This works for YOU. It is not the wicking gospel.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
I didn't understand the pull it ... But don't have it so tight the mod moves... What if I have a 3 pound mod?? That means nothing if you have a really heavy or really light mod, or you don't build on the mod. Not everyone builds on reos. This works for YOU. It is not the wicking gospel.

I tend to go with the "able to pull it through smoothly back and forth, but feel a very very small amount of resistance; the coil shouldn't move at all when being pulled through". it's a rough estimate, but it works for me.

I used to do it with a lot more resistance until I realized how much cotton expands.

His tip for that would also work a lot less with table cloths

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

Just trying to help bro. Seems like you got it down though don't ya? perhaps you can rock a vid and call it the cellodick (tried to hyphenate between celloanddick but it wouldn't let me) wicking gospel.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
I'm currently making C-Goody's wicking gospel. Will be uploaded to my channel soon.

Basically, is tells you to **** off and do what I do... or the Guardian of the Wicking shall descend upon your village, and smite you with no remorse. Because wicking differently than I do deserves nothing but the most inhumane treatment possible.

:)

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
I'm currently making C-Goody's wicking gospel. Will be uploaded to my channel soon.

Basically, is tells you to **** off and do what I do... or the Guardian of the Wicking shall descend upon your village, and smite you with no remorse. Because wicking differently than I do deserves nothing but the most inhumane treatment possible.

:)

Not really sure why, but your post brings back a whole flood of memories about the story in Warcraft. Villages, remorseless smiting, inhumanity. Hmm, better dig out the books, can't spend the time and don't want to spend the money to play anymore.

Fellas, the point is to get a vape that you enjoy. Let's not get our knickers in a twist over an ejuice transport medium. Besides, everyone knows that acrylic yarn is the future. :p

swaycleveland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
middleburg hts. Ohio
my method to get the right density in the coil is, get me a piece of rayon longer and thicker then i think it should be but tapered at the ends. then wet the rayon in the middle section with juice. youll kind of know where to wet by eye. then pull the wick through the coil twisting slightly. the damp wick will more easily move into the coil. this helps because the rayon normally shrinks after wet, leaving you with sometimes less wick then optimal. then i trim the ends down to the right size and shape to fit my build. tapering the ends is a big help!

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
I find Rayon vs ... cotton depends on a lot of things.For example the type of tank,juice etc.I like using both rayon and cotton,i find they taste pretty much the same with fruith type juices.But for my HS Ry4 tobacco i use my KF tanks.Ry4 in my drippers just dont taste as good as in the KF.I tend to lean with the Rayon,im kind of concerned about the radiation with Fuku and the cotton.

nelsonm64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Kelowna, B.C.
I to bought a 1000 pound box of cellucotton before Japanese cotton was so popular. then I though it can't be that much better than rayon and I really need to use this 10 life time supply up ;) but, every review you watch nowa days everyones useing Japanese cotton. so, I gave in and ordered some Muji... just have to see what all the fuss is about :)

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
I to bought a 1000 pound box of cellucotton before Japanese cotton was so popular. then I though it can't be that much better than rayon and I really need to use this 10 life time supply up ;) but, every review you watch nowa days everyones useing Japanese cotton. so, I gave in and ordered some Muji... just have to see what all the fuss is about :)
Is muji just as good as KGd? I thought about ordering some and it's a lot cheaper than KGd. Isn't all Japanese cotton the same? Does anyone know.

nelsonm64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Kelowna, B.C.
Is muji just as good as KGd? I thought about ordering some and it's a lot cheaper than KGd. Isn't all Japanese cotton the same? Does anyone know.
I personally have never tried KGD but, I've heard a few people say that have tried both that it's the same. i'm really liking the muji, much better than cellucotton. wicks awesome :)

Reactions: seanol

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
I personally have never tried KGD but, I've heard a few people say that have tried both that it's the same. i'm really liking the muji, much better than cellucotton. wicks awesome :)
Yeah I found the rayon hard to work with. I got some Japanese cotton with my subtank mini and the stuff is so easy to cut and work with so I may switch over. I'm glad I tried everything. Organic cotton balls and rayon. It's good to just try everything. I'll probably still try and use rayon. Just need to figure out how to wick it right

Reactions: nelsonm64

seanol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2014
Dallas, TX
I found the exact same thing with cotton! I tried every way I could but it just never clicked. I could never vape it low either, the burned wick would cme out of nowhere.

I don't care about one versus the other; just what I can make work. I get a slightly nutty flavor and when I pull my RDA cap the rayon is white. Drip and move on.

I am sure wit the proper technique that cotton would work as well, I just hated the russian roulette feel of anticipating a dry wick. Does the newer stuff give you guys notice when the juice is almost gone?

I now have a TC mod so it may be a moot point. Rayon is chep and easy to find. I have read some subject matter on the safety and find it acceptable comparing what I was doing previous to vaping.

Hopefully this can be a discussion and not a thread bashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread