Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfatguy

Aug 19, 2009
columbus, ohio
Thanks chad, I misunderstood your statement, sorry for that. The problem with context from the Health New Zealand report comes from the document itself...what I quoted was all the information that report provided, and I highlighted what I thought were weak connections made by the report's author. I have little doubt that electronic cigarettes are safe, but as you said this is a highly politicized issue and unfortunately the battle is uphill for people using PVs.

SLDS181, thank you for the links. I have read most of those (though not all) and found them very helpful and reassuring. The article from Journal of Pharmacology And Experimental Therapeutics was the best for comparison sake to the aerosols created from electronic cigarettes. While I think the evidence is extremely strong that PG is a safe product for the use of electronic cigarettes, I would like to see a study that specifically tests electronic cigarettes and how people actually use these devices. vaping is different than being an actor in a Braodway musical in terms of duration of exposure (a few hours per 24 hours vs. people chain vaping all day) as well as other differences in use and exposure. Long term studies are hard to come by (though research does seem to support that this is likely not a problem), people who are currently vaping probably expect to vape for the rest of their lives...this length of exposure has not been studied. People vape differently than they smoke (mostly), but most direct comparisons are comparing puffs and volumes as being equal for both products...I'm not sure this is true (I never take 5+ long second drags from an analogue, but I do regularly on my 901...). I would also like to see a study of non-smokers using e-cigs, just so the symptoms of quitting smoking can be disentangled from the effects of vaping, as I think most 'side effects' are quitting smoking related and not from vaping (i.e. headaches, cramping, ........, chest pain, etc that are commonly complained of here in these forums).

I think that the conditions and habits of how the PG is used by people using electronic cigarettes should be studied directly and not just use comparative analysis of other studies (which mostly state that their results are only valid for the situations in which they were studied – as any good scientific study should indicate). I believe that the data from these studies is likely valid, but as chad said, this is a highly politicized topic and I think the best way to combat the public (and especially the anti-smoking, anti-nicotine group’s) misconceptions is for concise, direct electronic cigarette/e-liquid studies. These questions I point out are what anti-vaping groups will use to question the safety of the product. I think plugging these holes will go a long way for keeping personal vaporizers legal. (Fighting the public perception of nicotine as the root of all evil in smoking shows how difficult it can be to change long standing unchallenged misinformation.)

I know I got way off topic in this thread, so I will just conclude that from all of these studies I've now read, chest pain does not seem to be a symptom that has been widely reported. Cough and minor irritation of the nasal and throat passages are most common, but in most cases the body adapts and symptoms disappear. As has been noted, quitting smoking is the most likely cause of chest pains (though going to the doctor is probably a good idea to be sure).

Thanks for the information and the discourse, and I’m sorry if I came off combative in my earlier post. I really am an advocate of electronic cigarettes (I’ve bought starter kits for half a dozen friends and even a few passing acquaintances :rolleyes: ).

souporvapor

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Everett, WA
It is interesting to read through this thread and find posts from people who know they have major and or multiple health challenges attempting to find 'reason' for p/v's to be the cause.
For goodness sakes people - some of you can't even sit to eat a normal meal without symptoms.

No one has ever claimed that vaping is 'good' for anyone. There are no long term studies because it's a relatively new technology. 'Reduced risk' is not accross the board for all individuals with who knows what other medical conditions - known or unknown. (should you take issue with that statement... just click on your TV and see the list of potentially deadly side-effects associated with the drugs the FDA says are 'safe')

We(you) are CHOOSING to be at the forefront of vaping. WE(you) are deciding to test something for ourselves. I hope and trust that each and every person who considers e-cigs is intelligent enough to not only research what IS known - but also monitor their own physical feelings and their body's reactions.

Anything else is just plain....
well it ain't too smart.

Gee - if I get light headed because I've just vaped 36 mg as if it was a single cigarette with puff after puff after puff for 5 minutes - hmmmmm maybe I should either lower the nic level OR realize that it's not a ciggie and spread those puffs out over a longer period of time.

If I find any other unusual reactions - I should pay attention to what I am doing, with what level of nicotine and how often. AND just because I get the flue, a cold, a stomache ache, the runs, or a flare up in my pre-existing medical condition doesn't mean it is a direct response to vaping......

Would seem to be common sense?

No one else has your body with it's unique attributes and we are not doctors - just a group of freinds intending to share information from our own perspective, experience and research of 'facts' that are available.

30 years of smoking....
Vaporized by my ScrewDriver!

Last edited:

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
So for the TL;DR version:

1.) Does vaping have a significant effect on the lungs?
2.) Is it the nicotine or something else?
3.) Should these chest pains be something to be worried about?

Quick and easy answers:

1.) Ask a doctor.
2.) Ask a doctor.
3.) Ask a doctor.

A forum isn't really the best place to ask such questions. Look at the links SLDS181 provided, Google around for as much research as you can find, then make a decision for yourself: Is this ok for me, or should I abstain from e-cigs.

If you are totally in doubt and especially if you are having chest pains or any other physical malady that gives you concern, go see a doctor. The bottom-line is, the choice is yours and since you have full control over your own actions, you have only have to be as diligent as your own brain requires in finding the info you need to make your decision.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
For those who had tightness in the chest and you suffer from high blood pressure.
I was going through this and went to see my doctor. My pressure was down to 99/49. It was too low. Since my meds were adjusted the tightness has gone away.
From the way I was feeling, I really didn't think it was anything awful but I was a bit scared.
So, no matter what you think is going on, go see your doctor!!! Chances are it's just the transition and your doctor can help you through it.

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
For those who had tightness in the chest and you suffer from high blood pressure.
I was going through this and went to see my doctor. My pressure was down to 99/49. It was too low. Since my meds were adjusted the tightness has gone away.
From the way I was feeling, I really didn't think it was anything awful but I was a bit scared.
So, no matter what you think is going on, go see your doctor!!! Chances are it's just the transition and your doctor can help you through it.

Wow, thank you. I have always had low blood pressure and since starting the vaping I get periods almost every day that feel as if my blood pressure is really dropping. Do you think vaping could possibly lower the blood pressure too? Is that what you're saying? If so, I can't now because DH and I are going away soon, but if you think this is a possibility and it continues with me, maybe I should check on it. I get REALLY shaky and have to make a run to the chips (salt) seems to help.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I don't think it's the e cig directly. I, and so does my doctor, think it's because I'm off tobacco.
If you had low blood pressure smoking might have just raised it to normal. Well, now it's probably just low all the time.
Just my opinion and I'm not a doctor--GO SEE YOURS.

Don't forget to take your ecig and some info--like the comparison. My doctor found it all fascinating. Enough he pulled another doctor out of room so I could show it to him.

And, by the way, I had a constant, but mild, headache, it disappeared too.

Last edited:

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
I don't think it's the e cig directly. I, and so does my doctor, think it's because I'm off tobacco.
If you had low blood pressure smoking might have just raised it to normal. Well, now it's probably just low all the time.
Just my opinion and I'm not a doctor--GO SEE YOURS.

Don't forget to take your ecig and some info--like the comparison. My doctor found it all fascinating. Enough he pulled another doctor out of room so I could show it to him.

And, by the way, I had a constant, but mild, headache, it disappeared too.

JJ2 and Stephan, thanks. I appreciate this being verified. When DH and I return I will definitely go see the doctor. I'm not much of one for pills, so if I am to be suffering (not much suffering compared to others), I shall try to find an alternative (natural) method of raising my blood pressure.

scottyj

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
fl
i tooo have been getting chest pains i will be seing a doc about this . i have read a lot of the posts here and people forget to mention how long,and how much they smoked. I smoked 2-4 packs a day i have been smoking for about 20 years ..Hmmmm mabey its all that garbage thats in my lungs wanting to come out remember you smoked and if anything did want to come up you stuffed it back in your lungs when you took a drag of an analog. you lungs are of fine tissue not made like plumbing pipes where they can just be flushed out right away.. i had a friend die right after high school from a heart attack ..dont take a chance see a doc i will be in the next few days always better to be on the safe side.

SquirrilahFish

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Honolulu
sorry i haven't read through all the posts, but i too have also had some chest pains, I did a 12lead ekg on myself and saw no adnormalities, I also took some aspirin and and the pain was not relevied, the pain did not radiate any where either but was constant, I wasn't having difficulty breathing ethier.

I tried using negative pressure in my lungs (this is done by holding your breath and blowing, using the same technique u would use to pressurize your ears, on with your lungs) the pain went away, this indicates from me that the chest pain comes from pleurisy (a dry spot in your lung)

this happens when the lung rubs against the inner walls of your chest, however it is a constant pain. this could be caused by vaping, however it is known to be associated with tobacco cigarette detox. I wish the thread poster stated how long they smoked for vs how long they have been vaping, I agree that it is a concerning issue though, I haven't had any CP for a while though and I haven't cut back on PG or vaping at all, I continue to feel better

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
In your bushes, watching you undress
Having recent issues myself now.

I had quit smoking in the past, cold turkey, for about a month... never had a chest pain. No one's going to tell me that my chest hurts because I QUIT inhaling cigarette smoke, that's preposterous.

Went in a few days ago for a full cardiac workup. No bad enzyme release, no damage to the heart, so this is not a cardiac issue. Going back tomorrow to look into lung issues.

Purposefully did not vape all day yesterday to see what would happen... not a single twinge of pain. 11pm I grabbed my 510 and had about 20 minutes of mild vaping... pain came back within 10 minutes.

Draw your own conclusions, I have drawn mine.

List of symptoms:

Shortness of breath
Tightness in chest
Sharp to dull pains (alternating) in left chest, over lung not over heart
Pain when I inhale deeply, stretch or move my arm across my chest

Last edited:

SquirrilahFish

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Honolulu
Having recent issues myself now.

I had quit smoking in the past, cold turkey, for about a month... never had a chest pain. No one's going to tell me that my chest hurts because I QUIT inhaling cigarette smoke, that's preposterous.

Went in a few days ago for a full cardiac workup. No bad enzyme release, no damage to the heart, so this is not a cardiac issue. Going back tomorrow to look into lung issues.

Purposefully did not vape all day yesterday to see what would happen... not a single twinge of pain. 11pm I grabbed my 510 and had about 20 minutes of mild vaping... pain came back within 10 minutes.

Draw your own conclusions, I have drawn mine.

List of symptoms:

Shortness of breath
Tightness in chest
Sharp to dull pains (alternating) in left chest, over lung not over heart
Pain when I inhale deeply, stretch or move my arm across my chest

sounds like pleurisy too me, make sure you drink lots of water when u vape, I think you are just dehydrating your lungs from vaping, maybe lower your MG too

Fazzazerin

Sep 3, 2009
I too am feeling a slight discomfort in my lungs with symptoms like temporary shorted breath, lasts about 4 to 5 minutes after vaping for about 5 minutes. Slight weezing what feels to me like Im breathing through insulation and again only lasts about 4 to 5 minutes. During those durations my lungs feel warmer as well.

I am very new to vaping so it could just be the new transition from analogs to a PV. I dont want it to come across as complaining either because I am very much enjoying the experience.

This will be my 4th day using my device and it seems the symptoms are dying out as the days pass, I assume this could also be from breaking in a new atty that i could of very well be inhaling the primer which cannot be good. The flavors also have come more alive and taste a little bit different from the first day.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Well I smoke for about forty years---a long time. I've had trouble with BP for more than half of that.
As I said, I had a tightness in the chest but I had no trouble taking deep breaths. No flashes of chest pain or pain in the arms.
I did have a slight headache.
Anyway, went to see the doctor as I stated in previous post and my problem was my blood pressure was too low.
If you are having problems go see your doctor. Especially if you are on BP meds!!!

span

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2009
Kansas City, Ks, USA
My husband is experiencing chest pains as well... Smoking 24mg (cut with gylcerin down to 12) from Nuvape, pg based, on a 510. He also had pain in his left arm and some numbness. No insurance, didn't go to doctor, just stopped vaping and the symptoms went away... Will probably go get his blood pressure checked out and see if its normal, or changed in any way.

After doing some research on the forums, I thought that maybe the way pg converts to lactic acid might be causing muscle pains in his chest and arms... Can't be from quitting tobacco, only smoked on special occasions (maybe a pack every 3 months or so). Getting ready to order some vg and see if that makes a difference... Or vaping might just not be for him. Haven't suffered any of these symptoms myself (although I did get nic headaches before we cut the juice down).

Thanks for the good info guys, really has been helpful :) I know we hate to see problems with vaping, but at the same time, they've got to be talked about in order to work out the kinks. Just because some people are allergic to apples, doesn't mean they should be outlawed... Just that they aren't an option for those people, right?

WonderfulMe

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Northern California
Could be non-USP glycerin (or animal/synthetic glycerin)

I have been vaping for a few months now and only had chest pains once. It was the day I went out and got some glycerin to cut my juice, it was not USP and I don't think it was vegetable. The day I mixed it into my juice I had chest pains, not my heart but more peripheral, like around the lungs. I bagged the stuff up and labeled it so I won't use it again and haven't had a problem since. I am now using glycerin labeled both "vegetable glycerin" and USP.
Just my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread