China online sale ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Anyone have any idea about the headlines reading the China is encouraging businesses to stop selling e-cigarettes online I can't find anything on whether that pertains to other countries or just within the country... I believe there's been a mandate but there hasn't been any talk of enforcement and I don't really know how things work over there

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
China wants to make money, and has demonstrated that it is of the utmost importance to them. No matter what steps they take to make it appear they're protecting their own citizenry, they will encourage and facilitate sales to other countries. Until that point at which it threatens other means of making money from those countries- i.e, we threaten them with more tariffs, sanctions, etc., because of it.

In the US, I know we have time as it relates to sales to here.

Hint: Anyone notice where almost all the opioids here are coming from, and how this happens? They're turning a blind eye to a massive cash cow. vaping exports aren't even a blip on their radar yet.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I had a manager once who was having a really hard time trying to get her husband a birthday gift. She finally wound up getting him a gift certificate for an introductory flight in a small airplane.
That can be dangerous. To your wallet. Roughly 30 years ago my wife's cousin was dating a guy who had a Piper Cherokee. They came to visit us in from western PA one weekend and I asked the guy to give me a ride. Little did I know that he was a flight instructor. He put me in the left seat and two hours later, I was hooked. I bought myself a log book at right then and there and he recorded my first two hours in it. A year later I had a 50% share in a plane, and shortly thereafter, I got my private pilot's license.

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Here is the link that Bloomberg is quoting.

http://www.tobacco.gov.cn/html/27/2701/ ... 173_n.html

Translated:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 173_n.html

On August 28, 2018, the State Administration of Markets and the State Tobacco Monopoly Bureau issued the Notice on Prohibiting the Sale of Electronic Cigarettes to Minors (State Administration of the State Administration of Taxation, State Tobacco Monopoly Bureau Notice No. 26, 2018, below Referred to as the "Notice". Since the publication of the "Notice", the awareness of the community to protect minors from e-cigarettes has generally increased, and the phenomenon of directly promoting and selling e-cigarettes to minors has improved. But at the same time, it is also found that minors still know, buy and smoke electronic cigarettes through the Internet. Even e-cigarette companies are blindly pursuing economic interests, and publicizing, promoting and selling e-cigarettes through the Internet poses a huge threat to the physical and mental health of minors. To further protect minors from e-cigarettes, the relevant matters are hereby notified as follows:

As a supplement to traditional tobacco products such as cigarettes, e-cigarettes have their own safety and health risks. They are more selective in raw material selection, additive use, process design, quality control, etc. Some products have smoke leaks and inferior batteries. Quality safety hazards such as the addition of unsafe ingredients. In accordance with the relevant provisions of the Law of the People's Republic of China on the Protection of Minors, in order to strengthen the protection of the physical and mental health of minors, various market entities may not sell electronic cigarettes to minors. Any organization or individual should dissuade and stop the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors.

At the same time, in order to further strengthen the protection of minors' physical and mental health and prevent minors from purchasing and smoking electronic cigarettes through the Internet, we urge electronic cigarette production and sales enterprises or individuals to close the electronic cigarette Internet in time from the date of issuance of this circular. Selling websites or clients; urging e-commerce platforms to close e-cigarette stores in time and timely removing e-cigarette products; urging e-cigarette production and sales companies or individuals to withdraw e-cigarette advertisements posted via the Internet.

The tobacco monopoly administrative departments and market supervision and administration departments at all levels shall earnestly strengthen the promotion and implementation of this notice to protect minors from e-cigarettes. The tobacco monopoly administrative department shall increase the market supervision of e-cigarette products, strengthen the monitoring, dissuasion and suppression of the promotion and sale of e-cigarettes through the Internet, and investigate or notify relevant departments of all kinds of illegal activities discovered.

announce.

Related links: Interpretation of the Policy on Further Protecting Minors from E-cigarettes

State Tobacco Monopoly Administration

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
A lot of China channel consumer direct stuff isn’t actually IN China though. It’s in small nearby southeast Asian countries. Iirc fasttech has one of those, so the only change would be a web address move. Shipping wouldn’t even change. Maybe. We likely won’t know what will happen until companies actually react.

FT is in and ships from Shenzen, China. Vaporl has a warehouse in Hong Kong. I believe 3avape also has warehouses outside of China, but like Vaporl is a Chinese company with much of their business from there.

The article in the NYT and the release translated by Mike (@mikepetro Google Translate really did that great a job on a long press release? I'm impressed) is this is related to sales and marketing to underage users in China, not manufacture or sales elsewhere or to adults. China's policies rarely include shutting down entire profit making industries. All their talk relates to marketing and sales to minors, and as that is a country by country determination, it reads as an internal Chinese matter, not one they're imposing on anyone else.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
NYT is still unusually good for a paper though.

It sure is but that blurb was from Bloomberg press and Bloomberg is a known ANTZ. Unless and until I see confirmation from other sources and notices from FT, 3F, 2F, etc., informing us that they are suspending sales to the US, I'm not going to panic.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Yeah, there are non Halloween options. If one wants to get he a skull covered black something-or-other this is the only time of year to do it.

Does she like shawls?
45DC8250-D41E-4F16-9E3C-9FE1BCAB7F56.jpeg

0D6BE327-E4F9-442E-9743-DE59FB423273.jpeg

I made a couple of these. It’s a free Ravelry pattern called Lost Souls. I’m sure you could get one on Etsy. There were a lot of folks in my crochet group making them.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm not sure I know how to post a link but I'll give it a go I saw it on the New York Times I think
China Effectively Bans Online Sales of E-Cigarettes

I think I'm supposed to do something to the link but I don't know how...
Hmmm... what I had heard was the places that were being targeted were online retailers. Specifically ones that had no age checking. Wholesaling wasn’t affected. This article implies it is wider than that but doesn’t SAY it is. So China channel direct would shut down for consumers. Fasttech would be one possible pertinent example, unless they instituted an age check system which I personally wouldn’t use because of the Chinese government so for me it amounts to the same thing.

A lot of China channel consumer direct stuff isn’t actually IN China though. It’s in small nearby southeast Asian countries. Iirc fasttech has one of those, so the only change would be a web address move. Shipping wouldn’t even change. Maybe. We likely won’t know what will happen until companies actually react.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
interesting. Heading I saw was NYT. Reprint? Always read the fine print.

They even added this:

• Disclosure: Michael R Bloomberg, the founder and majority owner of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP, has campaigned and given money in support of a ban on flavoured e-cigarettes and tobacco.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I've always wanted to try that. I've heard it's quite peaceful.

Definitely give it a shot. It's peaceful and dreamy while you're up there. Most of the time. Once in a while the wind hits the wings at a certain angle or something and the skin on the wings starts flapping and making a lot of noise, especially during banking and landing. I loved it.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I've come to that conclusion as well at least for now. My understanding is that China is not e-cigarette friendly from the beginning they have I believe the largest percentage of smokers in the world and if I'm correct in this they have more to lose from people switching to e-cigarettes than anyone else however they have more to gain from people producing products to sell to other countries. Who knows I'm definitely not an expert on China but that's the impression I get if anyone has any other information please let me know because I don't want to speak falsely of a country and sound like a .....
My understanding is China’s legal enforcement system is.. unusual. They have 3 types of cities and then there is the rest of the country, and they are not treated equally law wise. Tier 1 cities have a lot of police and very strict laws that vary somewhat from city to city. For instance laws about motorcycles vary quite widely. One city actually has a Harley club, but the only place in the entire country those things may be ridden is that one city.

tier 2 cities have a different set of laws and they aren’t enforced as strictly. Less on the whole is allowed though.

tier 3 cities are like tier 2 but moreso.

then there is the interior: again totally different. There is almost no legal enforcement in the interior. Last I heard there were no restrictions on e-cigarettes there at all. If you could teleport one of those harleys to the interior it might be possible to ride it. The problem though is A it’s not possible, and B no one in the interior has seen a motorcycle and you would cause a massive sensation wherever you went, which would cause interest from what very little law enforcement there is.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I had a manager once who was having a really hard time trying to get her husband a birthday gift. She finally wound up getting him a gift certificate for an introductory flight in a small airplane.

Back home I used to take trips in a glider. Glider pilots had to log a lot of hours each year to keep their license, including time with passengers. Tow pilots had to log hours lifting a glider. Guess there weren't enough paying passengers so one Saturday a month they would give free flights. Lot of fun.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Maybe she was trying to conquer her fear of heights @Eskie ? I did that with mountain climbing but there is no way on this God's green earth you are going to get me near a small plane or a GLIDER or a hot air balloon.

God these are the stuff of my NIGHTMARES. Srsly. With mountain climbing you have something to hold onto.
Interesting. My wife is deathly afraid of heights, but never had a problem flying in my plane.

I guess she trusts me? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread