China online sale ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Anyone have any idea about the headlines reading the China is encouraging businesses to stop selling e-cigarettes online I can't find anything on whether that pertains to other countries or just within the country... I believe there's been a mandate but there hasn't been any talk of enforcement and I don't really know how things work over there

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Anyone have any idea about the headlines reading the China is encouraging businesses to stop selling e-cigarettes online I can't find anything on whether that pertains to other countries or just within the country... I believe there's been a mandate but there hasn't been any talk of enforcement and I don't really know how things work over there
Can you post an article? Nothing in my vape news emails have mentioned it.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
China bans all online sales and ads of e-cigarettes

I think this is for online sales in China. Export is another story... Trying to be optimistic.
Chinese BT flexing its' muscles. Following their American brothers footsteps.
They also in the article which was really just a blurb not even a real article did say that there's been no talk of enforcement. China's fairly notorious for not enforcing laws that they have on the books especially when we're talking about a multibillion-dollar industry that they can sell out of the country. I'm trying to decide whether I should get some replacement tanks or if that would even be covered under e-cigarette sales

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm not sure I know how to post a link but I'll give it a go I saw it on the New York Times I think
China Effectively Bans Online Sales of E-Cigarettes

I think I'm supposed to do something to the link but I don't know how...
Hmmm... what I had heard was the places that were being targeted were online retailers. Specifically ones that had no age checking. Wholesaling wasn’t affected. This article implies it is wider than that but doesn’t SAY it is. So China channel direct would shut down for consumers. Fasttech would be one possible pertinent example, unless they instituted an age check system which I personally wouldn’t use because of the Chinese government so for me it amounts to the same thing.

A lot of China channel consumer direct stuff isn’t actually IN China though. It’s in small nearby southeast Asian countries. Iirc fasttech has one of those, so the only change would be a web address move. Shipping wouldn’t even change. Maybe. We likely won’t know what will happen until companies actually react.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
China was never vape friendly. Chinese companies make the stuff and export it, but it was always tough for them in their own backyard. So this is not surprising. Probably their BT is state owned and is starting to feel the heat. Just hoping, quite optimistic actually, this won't affect export oriented websites.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
They also in the article which was really just a blurb not even a real article did say that there's been no talk of enforcement. China's fairly notorious for not enforcing laws that they have on the books especially when we're talking about a multibillion-dollar industry that they can sell out of the country. I'm trying to decide whether I should get some replacement tanks or if that would even be covered under e-cigarette sales
It’s not even a law. It’s a plea. I don’t know whether that actually has more or less force than a law in China. I don’t know how China works.

it’s not impossible there is a law already in place that everyone is ignoring and the next step befor enforcement is the plea. Again, no idea.

Reactions: stols001

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Hmmm... what I had heard was the places that were being targeted were online retailers. Specifically ones that had no age checking. Wholesaling wasn’t affected. This article implies it is wider than that but doesn’t SAY it is. So China channel direct would shut down for consumers. Fasttech would be one possible pertinent example, unless they instituted an age check system which I personally wouldn’t use because of the Chinese government so for me it amounts to the same thing.

A lot of China channel consumer direct stuff isn’t actually IN China though. It’s in small nearby southeast Asian countries. Iirc fasttech has one of those, so the only change would be a web address move. Shipping wouldn’t even change. Maybe. We likely won’t know what will happen until companies actually react.
I was actually thinking that same thing it just dawned on me that a lot of these Chinese places are prepared for things like that and they would simply change their facility over to their already being used one in Thailand or some other country to avoid the issue

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
It’s not even a law. It’s a plea. I don’t know whether that actually has more or less force than a law in China. I don’t know how China works.

it’s not impossible there is a law already in place that everyone is ignoring and the next step befor enforcement is the plea.

Yeah I'm not entirely certain what exactly a plea is either and I've yet to see any of these alleged sites that supposedly shut down there e-cigarettes I'm literally on FastTech right now and it doesn't appear anything is changed. I certainly don't mean to cause any sort of panic that's not my intention I was just wondering if anyone had heard more than I had because I know some people who are more Savvy about this then I am.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Here is the link that Bloomberg is quoting.

http://www.tobacco.gov.cn/html/27/2701/ ... 173_n.html

Translated:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 173_n.html

On August 28, 2018, the State Administration of Markets and the State Tobacco Monopoly Bureau issued the Notice on Prohibiting the Sale of Electronic Cigarettes to Minors (State Administration of the State Administration of Taxation, State Tobacco Monopoly Bureau Notice No. 26, 2018, below Referred to as the "Notice". Since the publication of the "Notice", the awareness of the community to protect minors from e-cigarettes has generally increased, and the phenomenon of directly promoting and selling e-cigarettes to minors has improved. But at the same time, it is also found that minors still know, buy and smoke electronic cigarettes through the Internet. Even e-cigarette companies are blindly pursuing economic interests, and publicizing, promoting and selling e-cigarettes through the Internet poses a huge threat to the physical and mental health of minors. To further protect minors from e-cigarettes, the relevant matters are hereby notified as follows:

As a supplement to traditional tobacco products such as cigarettes, e-cigarettes have their own safety and health risks. They are more selective in raw material selection, additive use, process design, quality control, etc. Some products have smoke leaks and inferior batteries. Quality safety hazards such as the addition of unsafe ingredients. In accordance with the relevant provisions of the Law of the People's Republic of China on the Protection of Minors, in order to strengthen the protection of the physical and mental health of minors, various market entities may not sell electronic cigarettes to minors. Any organization or individual should dissuade and stop the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors.

At the same time, in order to further strengthen the protection of minors' physical and mental health and prevent minors from purchasing and smoking electronic cigarettes through the Internet, we urge electronic cigarette production and sales enterprises or individuals to close the electronic cigarette Internet in time from the date of issuance of this circular. Selling websites or clients; urging e-commerce platforms to close e-cigarette stores in time and timely removing e-cigarette products; urging e-cigarette production and sales companies or individuals to withdraw e-cigarette advertisements posted via the Internet.

The tobacco monopoly administrative departments and market supervision and administration departments at all levels shall earnestly strengthen the promotion and implementation of this notice to protect minors from e-cigarettes. The tobacco monopoly administrative department shall increase the market supervision of e-cigarette products, strengthen the monitoring, dissuasion and suppression of the promotion and sale of e-cigarettes through the Internet, and investigate or notify relevant departments of all kinds of illegal activities discovered.

announce.

Related links: Interpretation of the Policy on Further Protecting Minors from E-cigarettes

State Tobacco Monopoly Administration

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

FT is in and ships from Shenzen, China. Vaporl has a warehouse in Hong Kong. I believe 3avape also has warehouses outside of China, but like Vaporl is a Chinese company with much of their business from there.

The article in the NYT and the release translated by Mike (@mikepetro Google Translate really did that great a job on a long press release? I'm impressed) is this is related to sales and marketing to underage users in China, not manufacture or sales elsewhere or to adults. China's policies rarely include shutting down entire profit making industries. All their talk relates to marketing and sales to minors, and as that is a country by country determination, it reads as an internal Chinese matter, not one they're imposing on anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread