Cigar rebuild - PICS (Bling v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RjG - same power if thicker but longer - with greater area.

When one thinks about it, much of the juice drawn towards the coil will actually miss it in the present design.

What if the coil wick joined the outer metal wick - would be too much juice, or vaping heaven? (i think i know the answer but someone should try it!)

I will be experimenting along these lines soon and was hoping for some pointers - or perhaps just some ideas ... Anyone ? The only fixed factor is that i will use nichrome wire, but how much, what shape, core or no core, layout, ... everything else is open :) I'm not looking for an atomiser mod, but something new, a revolutionary design advance (i can dream ...)

Last edited:

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
kinabaloo - same power if thicker but longer - with greater area.
maybe... my thoughts on thicker wire is, it would need to be a lot longer to equal the correct resistance, since you have to make the resistance the same to continue drawing 1 amp. If the current would be the same, it would be colder since heat is conversion of watts consumed and the available heat would be spread out across a lot more surface area of the coil.
To get the proper temp would require more power... since you can't change the voltage, that would be hard to do without adding batteries. Or you could cut the resistance to get it hotter. But then it would draw more amps, hurt the battery life (or the batteries). I could be wrong, that's just my thoughts ;-)

When one thinks about it, much of the juice drawn towards the coil will actually miss it in the present design.

No... in the current design, liquid is wicked into the metal mesh, saturating it to equal the cart filling by surface tension/capillary action. When you inhale, a bit of liquid comes up from a hole (or 2 or 3) directly under the atomizer, kinda like a vacuum/venturi effect, bubbles of liquid come up through there, hitting the bottom of the coil directly.

What if the coil wick joined the outer metal wick - would be too much juice, or vaping heaven? (i think i know the answer but someone should try it!)

tried that, that was the wick with "tails"

It works, but not right away. I still have that cigar. It works GREAT when it's hot. Real hot, it keeps going like a train smokestack. It takes many puffs to get it hot though... like my other "too much wick" experiments.... there's a fine balance between the available liquid, and the size of the coil to vaporize it... move too far from the default and it gets too hot, or too cold, or runs out of gas, or takes to long to "prime up". I'm guessing the tailed wick is too wet

I will be experimenting along these lines soon and was hoping for some pointers - or perhaps just some ideas ... Anyone ? The only fixed factor is that i will use nichrome wire, but how much, what shape, core or no core, layout, ... everything else is open :) I'm not looking for an atomiser mod, but something new, a revolutionary design advance (i can dream ...)

I hope you succeed :) I'll participate

RjG - "When you inhale, a bit of liquid comes up from a hole (or 2 or 3) directly under the atomizer, kinda like a vacuum/venturi effect, bubbles of liquid come up through there, hitting the bottom of the coil directly." Yes, hopefully ;) That was my meaning, from the mesh under the atomiser; at prsent, it's quite a small target that needs to well aligned.

How about using mica? It seems perfect in every way to use as a former for the wire. I am imagining a circular disk. Vinegar can clean the wire but not the firewick inside the coil. So perhaps change the coil into something flat - better target too.

I think it would be best to replace the juice delivery system at the same time. Do pipes and cigars do anything much different wrt cartridges (juice storage) and wicking? And those produce more vapor simply because the coil draws more current on the basis that the battery is bigger, right? In other words, to begin with it makes sense to start with an existing atomiser coil that is about the best. Assume a powerful battery; what would you choose - the atomiser from a ... ?

The present design involves a kind-of nozzle. I am thinking to employ a real nozzle, driven by an electrical pump or something that can can have a pump-like action - pushing out a tiny amount of juice on each draw. The juice reservoir can then be effectively sealed (while in use, still refillable) and the delivery made consistent. It could be located between the battery and atomiser. An alternative to a nozzle with the juice 'behind' the atmiser is a thin firewick that leads all the way from the juice holder to inside the coil.

Last edited:

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
kinabaloo, you want a Wizard Stick: Zero Toys Online Store ;-)

... battery powered... a 1/8th inch socket for an optional six volt AC adapter, for industrial-level smoke production ...Reservoir...has two little smoke fluid reservoirs. One of them you fill with the supplied fluid. The other one's for overflow, from overenthusiastic use of the pump-trigger. You can ...recycle fluid that ends up in the overflow reservoir.... uses glycol smoke fluid

Last edited:

combovan

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
florida USA
wow do you think that thing would actually work with our juice it looks really cool and cheap !

kinabaloo, you want a Wizard Stick: Zero Toys Online
Store ;-)
... battery powered... a 1/8th inch socket for an optional six volt AC adapter, for industrial-level smoke production ...Reservoir...has two little smoke fluid reservoirs. One of them you fill with the supplied fluid. The other one's for overflow, from overenthusiastic use of the pump-trigger. You can ...recycle fluid that ends up in the overflow reservoir.... uses glycol smoke fluid

combovan

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
florida USA
it would definitely work, it's a glycerin atomizer, same as your e-cig !

If they sold them in Canada, I'd order one, just for fun, LOL

well hmm i wonder if it heats it up like a cig too that would be awesome for home consumption and at 16.95 a pop the best deal on the internet ....if it doesnt heat it up though cold vapor sounds rather poor to me :p

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
.004 nichrome, and the wick is from the inner layer of poi wick, which is a high silica fiberglass type stuff. I used it because it's long single stranded. I also have kevlar... the outer sheath of the rope I used actually. But the kevlar burns. Silica is good for several hundred more degrees, much better stuff.

* before anyone shouts SILICA !?! It's doesn't burn and outgas nasty chems like Kevlar does, it's long single stranded, no little bits of fiber will be flying out, and within seconds it's covered/entrapped within hard crunchy e-liquid residue like any other atomizer - no silica danger. And I'm pretty damn sure it's what's in the atomizers already *

rlorange

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Australia
Impressive!! I just someone who knows what they are doing disassemble something and then document the process so thoroughly!

This thread answers so many of my questions!

I have a couple:

1. so you made a heating coil by simply using ni-crome wire. did you determine the resistance by the length of it as well as its thickness?

2. Did this atomizer still work (albeit poorly) with all that crust?

3. What would remove the crust in say an M-401 atomizer without disassembling it? I thought a soaking in caustic soda in hot water followed by phosphoric acid.

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada

nbrice

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
RjG, First I would like to thank you for your outstanding work. Your are great! I have many questions but I'll start with a few:

- The LED end cap, it looks like there are two LEDs in there, one red and one white. the white one seems to come on (flashes) with a low battery. Is that true?

- What is the thread size of the atomizer? It looks like 12mm but I have no idea what the thread type/size is?

- The wire that goes to the end cap, on mine it must have broke (I think I dropped it) I cant see the wire like on my other atomizers. Do I need to take it apart (per your pix/instructions) to repair it?

Thanks,

opusMorian

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Houston, TX
The circuit allows the batteries power to go an amplifier that... and this is the part where my 15yr. old electronics training is failing me...steps down the voltage, increasing the current?

Bandit, I has the idea that voltage had something to do with heating the coil (I know... dumb.. did not think... Just do...) so I built a MAX745 circuit which bump the voltage to around 5.0v from 3.6. Unfortunately, it did not even heat the atomizer at all (which then I realized that current is the major factor in heating the coil). I think step down the the voltage to increase the current would make sense.

opusMorian

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Houston, TX
.004 nichrome, and the wick is from the inner layer of poi wick, which is a high silica fiberglass type stuff. I used it because it's long single stranded. I also have kevlar... the outer sheath of the rope I used actually. But the kevlar burns. Silica is good for several hundred more degrees, much better stuff.

* before anyone shouts SILICA !?! It's doesn't burn and outgas nasty chems like Kevlar does, it's long single stranded, no little bits of fiber will be flying out, and within seconds it's covered/entrapped within hard crunchy e-liquid residue like any other atomizer - no silica danger. And I'm pretty damn sure it's what's in the atomizers already *

I have some glass fiber wick. it was rated with a higher disintegrating temperature and should be safe also as a strand. Plus no fumes. Would this do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread