Cigar rebuild - PICS (Bling v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
RjG, First I would like to thank you for your outstanding work. Your are great! I have many questions but I'll start with a few:

- The LED end cap, it looks like there are two LEDs in there, one red and one white. the white one seems to come on (flashes) with a low battery. Is that true?
--DSE cigars have 2 LEDs. This one (Ruyan) and RN cigars have 1 LED
- What is the thread size of the atomizer? It looks like 12mm but I have no idea what the thread type/size is?
--Not sure, I just measured the pitch and cut it on the lathe.
- The wire that goes to the end cap, on mine it must have broke (I think I dropped it) I cant see the wire like on my other atomizers. Do I need to take it apart (per your pix/instructions) to repair it?
--Dropping it probably pooched the switch, not the wire... but you have nothing to lose now so take it apart and see ;-)
Thanks,

replies in red

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
Nichrome 80 is better (more heat from less power) but 60 works fine.

My roll is disappeared, I've been looking for it for a month, or I'd send you some.
Somebody probably grabbed it off my desk and hung pictures with it at work, lol

A 1/8lb roll of .004" with several thousand feet is only $30 here
McMaster-Carr

Damn McMaster won't ship to Canada anymore.... bah

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada

kender

Moved On
Mar 9, 2009
USA
The part that stops me from doing this is the connection of the nichrome wire. Regular solder will not work because the heat of the nichrome will melt the solder. A crimp fitting will develop corrosion at the contacts.
RjG used silver solder that requires a high temp to melt. Does a propane torch get hot enough to melt silver solder or does it require acetylene?

JustPuffin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Very Nice Mod!

I have been alternating between several e cigs and a e cigar.
I get lots of vapor from the e cigar, but it is more flavor and vapor then throat hit. The ecig vary so much that I have one I use first thing in the morning. It has much more of air mix to vapor. After a bit I have to go to a less air more vapor e cig. The rest of the day I alternate between the e cigar and the e cigs with the best throat hit.

I really like the idea of a mod and all along when people were modifying e cigs I thought to myself why not get a cigar.

But this is fascinating.

Great Job.

I really hope you can come up with a plan for the chamber delivery system.
I think consistency is the biggest problem I am having with all the models I have tried.

I was a hard core smoker for 46 years. However, I am learning to appreciate flavor and smooth vapor rather then the throat hit.

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
There's two kinds of silver solder - I used low temp soldering iron "lead free" silver solder. The stuff they use from the factory melts with a soldering iron, so I felt comfortable using that. Personally, I think there's not a lot of silver in it, but that's what the label says ;-)

I just didn't want to use lead based solder in there for obvious poisonous reasons.
The acid core solder I have, that I needed to use for TINNING the nichrome, IS lead based. I don't know if you can get lead-free acid core.

(Tinning - for those not so electronically inclined - is a very very thin coating, just enough to put a different color on it. It's not thick, just enough to have an oxide free compatible metal for your preferred solder to have something to bind to)

I do use silver solder braze (which is the other variety Kender is talking about) on other projects, for stainless steel, and fixing busted bandsaw blades. You really need a brazing torch to make that stuff melt. The flux is some white paste that needs extreme heat too. Dull red is the temp the flux melts and the silver starts flowing. .004 nichrome might survive... maybe.... the copper wire probably wouldn't though.

P.S. Even the acid core solder I used to TIN with will vaporize that .004 nichrome if you let the soldering iron sit on it for more than 1/10 second.

Last edited:

nbrice

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
On this mod I'm looking for some details on how to disassemble the inners of the cigar. RjG is extremely talented and creative on the tools to accomplish this project.

Unfortunately, I don't have the skills or equipment to do what RjG did. I'm looking to see if others have been able to do what RjG did with common tools: Take the screw ends out, extract the atomizer assembly out of the cigar tub and reinstall the atomizer assembly back into the cigar tube.

Once that’s done I have some detail questions like the steel mesh and where to get it.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
The only really hard part is getting the ends off . They are a tight fit, with a bit of glue or glaze too. You can probably rock them off with a mouthpiece if you're careful - it will screw in both ends with a bit of effort. The thread is the same, it's just a tiny bit smaller on the LED end.

I've done BLINGS, RN, and DSE cigars, the process is exactly the same. I haven't had to use it every time, but a heat gun on the tube helps a lot to loosen things up when they get stuck (metal expands a lot with a little bit of heat). You should be able to push the guts out with a screwdriver or something, rather than the tool I made. Once it breaks free, the insides slide out reasonable easy. You don't need really need any tools to put them back together, other than a screwdriver to push the insides back in.

I took lots of pictures of RN's and DSE cigars as well, disassembled. I should post them somewhere :)

kender

Moved On
Mar 9, 2009
USA
Excellent work on those RjG!
I took the temps under the bridge in the atomizer with a janty dura manual battery and a joye510 atomizer.
205 degrees at the start then dropped and held steady at 175 degrees for the rest of the draw.

They run a lot cooler than I thought they would.

The atomizer was pretty dry so they might run even cooler when wet.

Last edited:

nbrice

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
The only really hard part is getting the ends off . They are a tight fit, with a bit of glue or glaze too. You can probably rock them off with a mouthpiece if you're careful - it will screw in both ends with a bit of effort. The thread is the same, it's just a tiny bit smaller on the LED end.

I've done BLINGS, RN, and DSE cigars, the process is exactly the same. I haven't had to use it every time, but a heat gun on the tube helps a lot to loosen things up when they get stuck (metal expands a lot with a little bit of heat). You should be able to push the guts out with a screwdriver or something, rather than the tool I made. Once it breaks free, the insides slide out reasonable easy. You don't need really need any tools to put them back together, other than a screwdriver to push the insides back in.

I took lots of pictures of RN's and DSE cigars as well, disassembled. I should post them somewhere :)

When you get some time this would be a good place to post those pix

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I wonder if it would be better to crimp join the nichrome coil to the feeder leads.

Some tests that Exogenesis did showed a surprising amount of tin in the deposit material that presumably had leeched from the solder under heat, electrical and juice-solvent action.

Btw: I vote to sticky this thread; perhaps in the Atomizer sub-forum.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Excellent work on those RjG!
I took the temps under the bridge in the atomizer with a janty dura manual battery and a joye510 atomizer.
205 degrees at the start then dropped and held steady at 175 degrees for the rest of the draw.

They run a lot cooler than I thought they would.

The atomizer was pretty dry so they might run even cooler when wet.

That's interesting Kender, but was this coil temperature or the temp of the air near to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread