ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Ponca City OK, USA
pinterest.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I'm just curious about the whole
4 It is recommended, although not required, to make a post in a thread when negotiating a transaction via PM. Should the transaction fail to be successful, this makes record of your activity should ECF need to look into a matter of defraud. A simple message stating you have sent a PM will suffice.
5 It is never acceptable to offer an item for sale then sell to a higher bidder. If you are found to skip a buyer in favor of a higher offer, this will be considered an auction and is a violation of rule #4 above, under "New Threads". All offers should be considered on a first come, first served, basis.
6 First come, first served basis doesn't mean seller must sell to the first member to contact them. It is the seller's prerogative to sell to whom they feel most secure selling to.

To elaborate:
I PM'd a seller as well as posted in the seller's thread of my interest in purchasing an item they listed.
I came back approx 11 hrs later (seller had not responded to PM or posted in thread) and advised I had the funds for the item ready to pay (PM'd again, as well).
Approximately 10 minutes later, the seller PM'd me and gave me their PP information.
I was in the process of wrapping up my own thread and approx 15 minutes later, I sent the funds as instructed.
I immediately came back to the forum to reply to the seller's PM and found the seller had retracted their "it's yours" statement claiming there were others in front of me, they had made a mistake.
The seller did refund the money I sent, but is this proper etiquette? Seems to me the apology should have gone to the ones who were skipped in error, rather than the buyer who already paid. I'd just like some clarification going forward, if it's not too much trouble.

Last edited:

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
4 It is recommended, although not required, to make a post in a thread when negotiating a transaction via PM. Should the transaction fail to be successful, this makes record of your activity should ECF need to look into a matter of defraud. A simple message stating you have sent a PM will suffice.
The purpose of this rule is to assist me should I have to investigate someone's complaint. If I can see no record of interest from you, then it makes it really hard to investigate it. It's not meant as stating your position in line to buy, if that's how you understood the rule.

5 It is never acceptable to offer an item for sale then sell to a higher bidder. If you are found to skip a buyer in favor of a higher offer, this will be considered an auction and is a violation of rule #4 above, under "New Threads". All offers should be considered on a first come, first served, basis.
This focuses more on "auctioning" items through the Classifieds. As stated in the rules, members selling must post a asking price, no "make me an offer" type ads. I know the "first come, first served, basis" may be a bit misleading and this is why I explained it further in rule 6.

6 First come, first served basis doesn't mean seller must sell to the first member to contact them. It is the seller's prerogative to sell to whom they feel most secure selling to.
There are many reasons a member can choose not to sell to you. They think you're too new of a member, they don't like your feedback, they don't like you as a member, or they like someone else over you that wants to purchase the item. Our stance is, we will not force someone to sell to someone they do not want to. It's no different in real life, if you don't want to sell an advertised item to a particular person, you don't have to. I mean, if I were selling my truck (which will never happen, it'll fall to pieces first) and my ex-wife brought cash to purchase it, I would not sell it to her, just because I don't want to. It's really no different here, we can't force someone to sell to you.

Was it fair that he had you pay, then turned around and sold to someone else because they contacted him first? Probably not, the seller should have been more diligent before asking for your funds. Was what he did against the rules? No, mainly because he returned your money and explained someone requested before you. There's really no way for me to prove otherwise either. Does it suck? Yes it does but there's no way to manage who a person can and won't sell to.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
j0ker, a question about the classifieds scores:

I have 1 more feedback than my "score" shows above my avatar, why is this? It's been this way for quite some time, I'm not sure which one doesn't count in the total but it's one of the earlier ones. Not a big deal, I've just been curious about it for a while and never got around to asking ;-)

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

I have 1 more feedback than my "score" shows above my avatar, why is this? It's been this way for quite some time, I'm not sure which one doesn't count in the total but it's one of the earlier ones. Not a big deal, I've just been curious about it for a while and never got around to asking ;-)

I have a couple options for you:

1. I can delete them all and let you start over? :lol:
2. I can delete one at a time till I find the problem (might be the last feedback deleted)? :lol:
3. Or I can dig around and see what I find?

Kidding of course! The only thing I can see right now that "might" be the issue is one of the members left you feedback twice, for different transactions though. I'm not sure but this could be the culprit, although it shouldn't be. Let me get our coders to take a look and see what they can tell about this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Ok, I see now. I was thinking along the same lines as you, each feedback attributed to your score but we were both wrong. The score is derived from each unique member that has left you feedback. In other words, new feedback will not increment your score unless that member has never left you feedback before.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
In other words, new feedback will not increment your score unless that member has never left you feedback before.

So am I to understand that if I buy something from the same person in separate transactions those transactions following the first one will not count to my score?

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So am I to understand that if I buy something from the same person in separate transactions those transactions following the first one will not count to my score?

My original statement - "The score is derived from each unique member that has left you feedback. In other words, new feedback will not increment your score unless that member has never left you feedback before."

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for looking into it :)

Glad you didn't have to delete my feedbacks to figure it out, I haven't got much left to sell :lol:

It's not too late, I can still delete them. I haven't had the opportunity to do that yet and it would mean a lot to me :).

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
My original statement - "The score is derived from each unique member that has left you feedback. In other words, new feedback will not increment your score unless that member has never left you feedback before."

I read that. I was asking for clarification. So the answer is "yes". :)

Lorena32605

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Ponca City OK, USA
pinterest.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Hey j0ker--
I had something weird happen earlier today...
I had a classified ad running in FS/FT and the thread was either closed by an admin or it closed itself. :confused:
I have no reason to believe an admin closed it, but it is in the closed forum now and I'm unable to re-open it.
closedclassiead.jpg
It doesn't show the thread locked in the closed forum, but it's there. *shrug*
I started a new thread since I couldn't continue w/that one.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey j0ker--
I had something weird happen earlier today...
I had a classified ad running in FS/FT and the thread was either closed by an admin or it closed itself. :confused:
I have no reason to believe an admin closed it, but it is in the closed forum now and I'm unable to re-open it.
View attachment 108288
It doesn't show the thread locked in the closed forum, but it's there. *shrug*
I started a new thread since I couldn't continue w/that one.

It was probably inadvertently selected during cleanup of locked threads. My apologies, it may have been me or could have been someone else. Anytime this happens you may contact me or JohnnyMaestro and we can move it back or you may do as you did and repost the ad.

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
can we take a vote/ poll on the price scalping epedemic? it's not going to go away by waiting for everyone to stop participating in the behavior. why is scalping not considered illegal? several forums have adopted policies that make it the sellers responsibility to list the manufacturer's retail price. thanks

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
The problem is that people buy at inflated prices and then need to sell at inflated prices. If one overpays for a popular and hard to find pv, they will resell at the same price + ship and PP fees. Also, some hard to get or discontinued PVs command better pricing. IMHO is just part of a cottage industry and what makes the vaping community unique. If people don't like prices, by all means, don't purchase. If you want a PV at cost, join the thread and wait months to get it at retail.

JMHO though - both sides of this argument have merit.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'd like to know is why we're allowing "feelers" in the classies?

There have been quite a few as of late and why are they not listing as it a fs/ft? If listed ft and the trade is not agreed by the op they have the right to refuse and if the op makes a trade during this "feeler" is the forum viewing this as a classified transaction ?

Jmtc, but imho this is fishing for who will pay a premium for an item.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
If they want to pay that kind of money, who's to say that it needs to stop? People here can easily look up the prices if they want to. The people overpaying are probably those who cannot be bothered waiting for next batch. If this makes them happy, what's the problem?

BenC7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Davie, FL
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
If they want to pay that kind of money, who's to say that it needs to stop? People here can easily look up the prices if they want to. The people overpaying are probably those who cannot be bothered waiting for next batch. If this makes them happy, what's the problem?

I agree, let people ask for what they want. No one is forced to buy anything. Asking people to post an MSRP is not a solution IMO. The majority of people know what the items costs that they want. People adding MSRP comments to a thread is just going to create conflict... i.e. the $525 zen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread