Cloud Chaser's only! Opinions on best/safest mech and battery for sub ohm chasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amtseung

Sep 22, 2014
California
Cloudchasing... I'm running a copper 4nine and a tobh v2 that I took a dremel to, rocking the dual 24g parallels, and they're not that bad to daily vape. Maybe I'm just used to it.
Sony VTC series batteries are the best. Efest has put their name to shame, marketing a repackaged 20A battery as a 35A battery. I'm rocking VTC4's at the moment, and right on the 30A "safety limit" (0.14ohms) as well. I have yet to do any competitions... my clouds ain't big, something to do with wicking and my coils being a month and a half old i think...

vape.jpg

dopamine1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2014
ohio
Best/safest mod and battery... Stingray X with hybrid cap and VTC4s. The Stingray X has very low voltage drop because of the copper construction and hybrid connection, and can vent out the bottom and top, so if you do vent a battery it's less likely to explode the mod. I say VTC4 instead of VTC5 simply because it's easier to find them and there aren't nearly as many fakes. You didn't ask about attys but I'd go with a mutation x. :)

Dual parallels definitly make a lot of vapor, though they run a bit hot for me. I like the plain old single wire dual micro/macro sleeper coil the best. Check out the steam engine coil calculator. You want to get the heat flux as high as you can while still being able to take a long hit. If you can only hit it for a second or two before it starts burning your mouth and wick... it's probably a bit too hot lol.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
For cloud chasing and cloud chasing ONLY I would highly recommend either a Parallel 18650 or a Parallel 26650 mechanical style box with high quality batteries(Sony, LG, Samsung). The reason I recommend Parallel specifically is because when batteries are in Parallel the load is split over both batteries, this means the amp draw is done over two cells instead of one which will provide you with less voltage drop and more voltage getting to your coil than a single battery ever could. If you want the most possible voltage getting to your coil with a mech mod, parallel batteries are where it's at and the more batteries put into parallel(3 or even 4) the better the performance gets. I've seen pictures on Instagram of a competition triple parallel 18650 mechanical box, but no clue where to buy it.

Aziphrale

Aug 18, 2014
Brooklyn NY
I use an IPV2, Mutation X set up, 50 watts, 5 second hit and my car is white. I run it at exactly one ohm, dual coil. Like guy said up a few post, airflow and draw can make a HUGE difference.

How is your flavor with that kinda of a setup? What ga wire and how many wraps? I currently go about .4 lowest ive gone is point one on mechs only. Still dont get huge clouds like in the vids.

Dont really know what im doing wrong. Would love to try something diffrent.

dirtybirdy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
I see quite a few people recommending 26650 mods and box mods. Most of your cloud comps do not allow 26650 mods, box mods, or stacked batteries. I personally would only use authentic mods for cloud comps and lower ohm builds, that's just me though.

If you are down to spend $250 on a mod why not look into the new mod by Ameravape called the Apollo. You can get it in brass or copper. They also have released a cheaper one called The Buster. I think you can get it for around $130. It is solid brass and a hard hitter.

westonG

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
San Diego, CA
For cloud chasing and cloud chasing ONLY I would highly recommend either a Parallel 18650 or a Parallel 26650 mechanical style box with high quality batteries(Sony, LG, Samsung). The reason I recommend Parallel specifically is because when batteries are in Parallel the load is split over both batteries, this means the amp draw is done over two cells instead of one which will provide you with less voltage drop and more voltage getting to your coil than a single battery ever could. If you want the most possible voltage getting to your coil with a mech mod, parallel batteries are where it's at and the more batteries put into parallel(3 or even 4) the better the performance gets. I've seen pictures on Instagram of a competition triple parallel 18650 mechanical box, but no clue where to buy it.

I totally agree with the parallel battery box mod (i have one coming in the mail) but most competitions now anyways usually have a rule of single 18650 tube mods only and then the rules for the Vapecon cloud comp are .15ohm or higher, no parallels no stack batts, no box mods and i think a couple other rules, so basically you have to learn the technique of how to inhale and exhale the vapor correctly (thing ive heard reffered to as "the push") if you want a couple good tips, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwvwu8rwO40&list=UUOBMXyYQqbTXz9lTa1yAH_g this guy is like a cloudchasing guru.. BTW my favorite cloudchasing build is 3/4wrap around a 3mm screwdriver of 22G Arsenal wire (i think its nichrome) verticals on the TOBH V2.5 or the Mutation X, lately on my brass Rig mod. thing works fantastic and comes out to about .09ohms

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Hey guys... I have been toying around with the idea of joining a couple of local cloud competitions for a while. I am a solid coil builder as I have been doing it for about a year now. But what are some of your opinions on the best/safest mech and battery to use in conjunction for competitions. Best clouds I personally have produced were off of a dual 24 ga. parallel coil build reading about 0.17 ohms. I didn't want to go any lower for fear that I didn't have a legit sony VTC5 and maybe a re wrapped efest or something. Ideas?

P.S. Before I get bombarded with anti sub ohm propaganda I know the risks. Remember that even the "safest" builds... a battery can still fail and blow up on you at any time. I am fully aware and have all of the test equipment I need. Thank you in advance.

Hey brother if you don't want to worry about possibly crossing amp limits even in the super-sub ohm range, I'd highly suggest you buy and/or make a dual PARALLEL 26650 box mod. Because in doing so, you divide the overall amp stress between two batteries, doubling your amp limit! :D

Since the beloved Sony26650VT's are no longer in production, the absolute best cloud chasing batteries are (preferably) the Pansonic CGR26650's, or (second best, if for some reason you can't get the CGR's) the Purple Efest 26650's.

The Panasonic's have a continuous amp limit of 50 just like the retired Sony's, so your looking at 100 continuous amps if you run two of them in parallel! Now that's security! You can run a "crazy" build like I did when I won a local tournament of 0.08ohms, and still be well within the continuous amp limit :).

The Purples are awesome too, and I've been using those mostly as of late because of their awesome amp limit, and epic battery life. They have a continuous rating of 32amps, and a burst limit of 64! And at 64 these batteries stay cold too, as well as last ALL DAY. In a parallel setup you could have 64 continuous, or 128 burst stress free!

But I understand if you don't want to run a dual battery setup, or even want to use 26650's. If you just want to use one 18650, then you already have the best available; a VTC5. Even the VTC4's (the only difference is they will have slightly, slightly less battery power, I own both, and I don't even notice the 5's extra life) 30 amp rating is for continuous, and theoretically you can do an 8 second burst at 60 amps (which is a long pull for 60 amps lol). I've personally built a 60amp (59amp) build before, and there wasn't any warmth being generated, so I could tell it wasn't being strained. (Still not recommended if your not positive what your doing for the record.)

If your looking for a boost in cloud performance though, sometimes a good low resistance wire can be all you need. I'm addicted to 20ga gplat haywire because it's so low resistance that a .2ohm build end up being 2 MASSIVE cloud generating coils that heat up faster than a .1ohm build with regular kanthal, it's truly an amazing wire. Pair that with some bigger airflow and you have a competition worthy setup! :D

Hope this helps brother, I've been searching for the most capable battery ever since the Sony's quit production, so I've researched this quite a bit. I've found that the Panasonic CGR26650A's are as good as it gets currently.

(Oh yeah and for the mod, any quality COPPER mod will pretty much do it, what your looking for is virtually no voltage drop to get the most out of your battery. And for 26650's the Bay city vapor BFM is a perfect choice (although it's pricey), my favorite at the moment is this copper 4nine 26650 clone that has a .06! voltage drop at .3ohms, and it hits noticeably hard even compared to other high quality copper mods. It' a hybrid style top cap for direct connection, smooth as butter magnetic switch, looks cool, simple conductive design, and it's only $50!

Here's a thread I did on it: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/mechmods/582240-favorite-26650s-4nine-tarsius-clone.html
You can buy it here: https://kcvapespot.com/product/4nine-copper-26650-2/

Keep chasin'! :vapor:

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Personally if you're aiming for competitive cloud chasing-level equipment, a regulated box mod with step up/down capability and protection is what I'd recommend, and would be the safest. Combine with proven VCT5s and you're in business.

It's not a fabulous device by any means, but the IPV3 will fire down to ~0.09Ω. With 2x Sony VCT5s, it works great for me and inspires confidence.

Best 18650 mech combo I've used is running a VCT5 in the Black Copper Stingray (single tube version) with Fat Daddy Vapes Magnet upgrade and running on the hybrid adapter. The original non-X models of the Stingray with the FDV magnet upgrade give some of the lowest voltage drop I've ever tested. You do have to be aware that the hybrid ring will need cleaning regularly, however, and the button on mine needed sanding around the outside lip so it would actuate reliably and evenly. I used a tiny amount of carbon conductive grease on the threads of the RDA where it meets the adapter, the adapter outside threads, and in the button assembly, but be aware this stuff is MESSY. The lowest this setup will safely go is .14Ω, and I run it with a Dark Horse, with 2x 0.32Ω twisted 28G coils in parallel for .16Ω effective.

Best 26650 mech combo I've had is running the Panasonic CGR26650A (which is safe down to 0.16Ω, as mentioned by treehead) on a copper 4nine with hybrid adapter. I upgraded the magnets in the switch and did some minor sanding with 5000 grit to make it smooth. I use either the Dark Horse as above, or a 26650 Plume Veil quad coil setup with 26650 Chuff tip. I've also just finished a new triple coil build on a 26650 Mephisto, where I've drilled out the delrin drip tip insert so it will fit the delrin tip from a CLT2. Results so far are pretty good, though the third coil is not getting direct air as the AFC only has two slits.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I see quite a few people recommending 26650 mods and box mods. Most of your cloud comps do not allow 26650 mods, box mods, or stacked batteries. I personally would only use authentic mods for cloud comps and lower ohm builds, that's just me though.

If you are down to spend $250 on a mod why not look into the new mod by Ameravape called the Apollo. You can get it in brass or copper. They also have released a cheaper one called The Buster. I think you can get it for around $130. It is solid brass and a hard hitter.

Have you used the Apollo? I have a black aluminum Manhattan with the gold plated contacts and love it. I've been thinking about getting an Apollo.

dirtybirdy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
Have you used the Apollo? I have a black aluminum Manhattan with the gold plated contacts and love it. I've been thinking about getting an Apollo.

I am a huge fan of Ameravape's products. I currently have a Skyline M6, M1, and several Manhattans.

I never purchased an Apollo I think it's ugly just being honest.

wonkeypickle

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
'murrikka
anyone else kinda tired of being limited by the available batteries?

my buddy just got a rig mod/roughneck rda hybrid setup. 25mm diameter, so it's got plenty of space for tasty 22gauge nichrome.

i've got it down to .1 which is pushing the sonys, yet i feel like with the airslots being how they are, it could certainly handle more watts.

with searches for bigger/taller batteries not yeilding much, my first thought was to look into stacking.....

but short of having a three foot long lightsabre in my hand when i vape, what is a cloud chaser to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread