Confused About Starter Kits - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandy ANnderson

Jan 16, 2019
OMG! I came into the site more than 70 minutes ago in to try out e-cigarettes so I can stop buying, and I am more confused than ever! Can someone please help me!

I just want one of those pen looking things

• I understand that I need a battery --- which looks like a long thing at the bottom of the pen;,
  • an atomizer which is the sometimes-transparent thing on tp of the battery which is where the liquid goes; and
  • the tip, which is the thing you suck on in order to get the vapor into one's lungs, right?
In looking at the starter kits, it appears that most of them don't sell the juice. It that the starter kits don't have?

Again, I just want a simple starter which will all arrive at once and which will have everything I meed.

Can anyone help me, please?

- Mandy

Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
OMG! I came into the site more than 70 minutes ago in to try out e-cigarettes so I can stop buying, and I am more confused than ever! Can someone please help me!

• I understand that I need a battery --- which looks like a long thing at the bottom of the pen;,
  • an atomizer which is the sometimes-transparent thing on tp of the battery which is where the liquid goes; and
  • the tip, which is the thing you suck on in order to get the vapor into one's lungs, right?
In looking at the starter kits, it appears that most of them don't sell the juice. It that the starter kits don't have?

Again, I just want a simple starter which will all arrive at once and which will have everything I meed.

- Mandy

Hi and Welcome Mandy,
How long did you smoke and how many per day?
What is your budget?
Where are you located?

Nice to have you here.
Cheers
I

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
juice will be sold separately so you can select a flavor and strength to suit you.

Anything called a kit will have all the parts you need to start. Some are pen style, and some are not. They function pretty much the same regardless. You might want to also order/buy extra coils at the same time though, because you’ll be replacing those.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You are going to have to do some research on your own, but I can provide you with the basics and get you started on your way.

There are several ways you can go concerning starter setups. What you described is an ego battery setup. Many of us began vaping with an ego or pen-style. That's ok, they work well enough to get you started.

But most of us more experienced vapers soon moved on to what are known as "mods" because they offer longer battery life, more e-liquid capacity, and variable power (variable voltage or variable wattage). These options may not sound important to you now, but once you gain some experience, they will be a "game changer". Just consider one of the more "advanced" setups like a mod before you make your initial purchase. Just trying to save you some time, money, and frustration later on.

E-liquid is generally purchased separately. All online vape stores sell it, as well as brick & mortar vape shops. A good one that I like is My Vapor Store. It's a one stop online vape store which will carry all the gear and e-liquids that you'll need.
myvaporstore | Online Vape shop - Vape Mods, Eliquid and Ecigs

Please read the following blogs. Should you have additional questions, which I'm sure you will, come back to this thread and ask your questions. There are no "stupid questions" on this forum, so don't be afraid to ask. We were all in your situation when we started out.

The below blogs were specifically written for beginner vapers. You'll find nearly all the information you'll need in them. It's a LOT of info to learn, but an educated and informed consumer will make for a better and happier consumer in the end.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I understand that I need a battery --- which looks like a long thing at the bottom of the pen;,

Not really, not necessarily, not anymore, really. Most of them look like small boxes nowadays. Some look like tubes. :) And yes, you do need a mod (battery, power source).

an atomizer which is the sometimes-transparent thing on tp of the battery which is where the liquid goes;

Very much so. You may get one separately or purchase a kit, which includes both a battery and an atomizer.

the tip, which is the thing you suck on in order to get the vapor into one's lungs, right?

Right. Those are usually included. Like 98% of the time. :)

And eliquids you'll have to acquire on your own. Those are never included.

NeonH1

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2018

- Mandy

Hello Mandy, the most basic starter kit is one that contains prefilled PODs. There are a number on the market. Some of the popular starter kits with prefilled pods are MYLE, Bo One, VYPE ePEN 3, JUUL, VYPE ePOD, VUSE Alto, STLTH, My Blu. With any of these devices, you don't need to change the eliquid in the pods, you just stick another pod onto the unit when you run out of juice in the POD you're using. Although buying prefilled pods for a prefilled POD system is more money in the long-term, in the beginning it's probably the cheapest solution, as you can try different flavours without buying 30 ml of something you may or may not like.

Of all the pre-filled POD systems I tried, the VYPE ePOD is the best I've used. The PODs last a surprisingly long time and you can suck them dry without getting dry burns or spitback. The nicotine will hit you hard and fast much like a cigarette would.

Once you've figured out what kind of flavours you like, fruits, dessert, mint, tobacco etc... than it's time try try the next level up starter kit, one which you can add you're own eliquid. A really simple starter kit is one with refilable PODs. The best I've tried is the justfog minifit. It's quite easy to use and extremely reliable. But... if you want better flavour, and still want a mouth-to-lung (cigarette like draw) than I'd recommend either the Innokin Endura T18, Innokin Endura T18ii or VYPE Etank Pro 2.

I hope you find something that works.

Cheers,
M.

• Winner
Reactions: Letitia

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think we are starting to see a common theme in this thread. You are going to get a lot of recommendations on different kinds of vape gear. People tend to suggest what worked/works for them, and that is to be expected. The fact is there is no "best" starter kit that will suit everyone. We all have our personal likes and dislikes when it comes to vape gear. This is why the choices available are so many and different.

Whether you choose a cigalike, a pod mod, and eGo setup, or a mod setup, do some research first and seek others' opinions before you make a purchase. Many of us went through several setups before we found the perfect setup.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I hate to be the odd man out, but what the OP @Mandy ANnderson is describing is a pod system with prefilled pods. That, or disposables/cartridge based dislikes.

Personally, I can't stand pod systems or any closed system. I prefer having choices... Something lacking in a closed system.

Aside from those two observations, everything said before applies...

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Hello Mandy, welcome to the community.
Since you want to keep it simple I also would suggest the Endura t18 II or a pod system. The t18 will require that you buy juice,
Vapemesilly has already suggested it Forgive me,my mistake.My English....

Last edited:

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I agree that it's important to just get started.

I'll give another vote for the Endura T18. It's simple to use and makes a good backup if you decide to get something better after awhile.

Stay away from Smok products because their quality is hit or miss.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

If you get a vape pen, that's pretty much correct. As has been said, the tip generally comes with the atomizer (also called a tank). One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the coil. Tanks usually come with at least one coil and often two or three - if different coils can be used with a tank, it often comes with one of each of the coils that work with it. The coil is a coil of wire around or surrounded with a wick. The wick soaks up juice, bringing it to the coil, which heats up and vaporizes the juice. Coils have to be replaced regularly, lasting between several days and several weeks. It's time to change the coil when the vape tastes burnt or when it just isn't as good as it used to be. You might want to pick up a pack of replacement coils when you get your setup because coils, along with ejuice, are the things you'll have to keep buying regularly.

Another tip about coils: When you start with a new coil, you need to prime it before you can use it. The point is just to make sure that the wick is saturated with ejuice before you heat the coil because it'll burn the wick if it's still dry. The easiest way to make sure your coil is primed is to fill the tank and just let it sit for 20 minutes or so before you start vaping. If you don't want to wait so long, you can drip some juice on the wick (wherever you see white cottony stuff in the coil) first and vape after 5 minutes or so.

Backup devices are another consideration. You never want to be in a situation where you've switched to vaping but you find yourself back on cigarettes because your tank broke or your battery gave out. I strongly recommend having at least two complete setups available at all times, at least once you've decided to definitely switch. If you love your first device you can get another like it, or if you'd like to see what else is available it's a good opportunity to try out something else.

Good luck!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
'll give another vote for the Endura T18.

I wouldn't recommend the Endura T18--it's a preset voltage output that you either like or you don't. If you don't, you're not going to be happy.

Endura T18 II, on the other hand, recommended earlier, allows for some adjustments (cool, medium and warm), which is very handy and easy enough to master by novice vapers.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

We'll be happy to. It would help us to help you if you maybe answered @Izan 's questions first.
Confused About Starter Kits - Help!

Do you have a vape shop nearby that you can visit and look at what's available there? Just to get a feel of different mods and atties. How much do you know about vaping? Have you done any research on your own? There are many threads in New Members forum that you may find helpful--specifically those started by other people interested in vaping.

The more we know about you and your needs, the better we'll be able to help you.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread