Contamination of Vit E in vape related illness & death

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
https://beta.washingtonpost.com/hea...eadly-lung-illnesses-state-federal-labs-show/

Vitamin E acetate is basically grease, said Michelle Francl, a chemistry professor at Bryn Mawr College. Its molecular structure means that “you have to heat it up pretty hot” for it to vaporize. Its boiling point is 363 degrees Fahrenheit

Juul max temperature : electronic_cigarette

The juul does claim to have temperature control. But, when I was using one I did get dry hits every so often. So, I'll assume the temp limit i set higher than 410° F. I can only assume, but I would educated guess it's set to around 500° F.
Another question: Would the wick even be capable of handling a grease-like substance?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Another question: Would the wick even be capable of handling a grease-like substance?
Yes. By "grease," they don't mean the consistency of axle grease, though- just chemically speaking. And remember they're only talking about that one component, and it's not the only substance in the juice. Sounds like they added the E-acetate as a thickener to make it less watery, specifically so vape products could handle it.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
There's a new NEJM article out, "some report using only nicotine products."

Any odds on how many of the "some" who turn out to be like the young "not me" guy whose brother, a state trooper, didn't believe him and found what he was actually vaping?

Yup.
Nobody's gonna admit to using illegal substances.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I too have sort of horror of the black market.

Warning - Conspiracy theory.:sneaky:

I'm not saying that these 'incidents' are illegitimate (or aren't), but the blanket "Stop vaping" and comments about the 'black market' may be a *response to many, here and elsewhere - including myself - who have said that IF vaping is banned, they'd go to the black market.

Fortunately, for eliquids, I DIY and have enough product for a few lifetimes. I have many mods and coils 'in the drawer' but I've got some favorites, where I'd like to have more available.... we'll see...

*response- we know "they" read this forum...

Last edited:

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
I just thought of an important question. He reports that the Vitamin E acetate must be heated to very high temperatures in order to vaporize. Does anyone know whether special vaping gear would be needed to do this? And would small self-contained systems like Juul pods even be capable of it? I'm sure there must be experts around here who would know.

What I've seen of the "Vape Pens" for :censored:
look like eGo batteries, and old cartomizers.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
The boiling point of it falls in between the bp of pg and that of vg, both of which we use for normal vaping.

Why the heck someone would use that to thicken something rather than vg beats the heck out of me. Then again, I am clueless about anything related to vaping other than to stay off cigarettes.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Yes. By "grease," they don't mean the consistency of axle grease, though- just chemically speaking. And remember they're only talking about that one component, and it's not the only substance in the juice. Sounds like they added the E-acetate as a thickener to make it less watery, specifically so vape products could handle it.
But the "grease" is not a specific chemical substance, it's used in the sense of consistency. Meaning thick enough that you could pick up a blob, like Vaseline.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
But the "grease" is not a specific chemical substance, it's used in the sense of consistency. Meaning thick enough that you could pick up a blob, like Vaseline.
No, it's not used in that sense- according to your quote, he says that "vitamine E-acetate is basically grease." NOT the entire ejuice. He's talking about that ONE component, that was used to thicken the juice. Obviously, if the juice were the consistency of a very thick grease, it would not have wicked, and they would not have inhaled the substance, and there would be no stories about being hospitalized for it, and this thread would not exist.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
No, it's not used in that sense- according to your quote, he says that "vitamine E-acetate is basically grease." NOT the entire ejuice. He's talking about that ONE component, that was used to thicken the juice. Obviously, if the juice were the consistency of a very thick grease, it would not have wicked, and they would not have inhaled the substance, and there would be no stories about being hospitalized for it, and this thread would not exist.
But I thought the T stuff was pretty thick, like tar or something. I don't think the Vitamin E acetate was used with regular e-juice - what for?

• Optimistic

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
But I thought the T stuff was pretty thick, like tar or something. I don't think the Vitamin E acetate was used with regular e-juice - what for?

No. T-stuff goes through a process. In a vapable liquid form, the final product is not much different in viscosity than e-juice.

There are many forms of t stuff that can be vaped. The oils, are just one of them. All forms require attention to detail for processing and quality of product. Vaping t stuff is not new, and has been around for decades. So why the outbreak, and why there are not reported incidents in countries that allow this use? The US is dealing with a contaminated product that has been able to be distributed across many states.

Edit: To elaborate – what is being sold in cartomizer type tanks is not much different in viscosity than e-juice. Product can be process and obtained in a thick, tar like form.

Last edited:

phill_nz

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2018
i wonder if the streeties are adding it to diluted vitamin M to make a thicker substance
so it looks more like standard good vitamin M

the story is being plugged hard in NZ and its in aussie as well
so it looks like a coordinated effort by someone to discredit the vape industry

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Revealing paragraphs from the New York State Department of Health, which has 34 cases:

Laboratory test results showed very high levels of vitamin E acetate in nearly all c*-containing samples analyzed by the Wadsworth Center as part of this investigation. At least one vitamin E acetate containing vape product has been linked to each patient who submitted a product for testing. Vitamin E acetate is not an approved additive for New York State Medical M* Program-authorized vape products and was not seen in the nicotine-based products that were tested.

New York State Department of Health Announces Update on Investigation into Vaping-Associated Pulmonary Illnesses

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Last edited:

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
i wonder if the streeties are adding it to diluted vitamin M to make a thicker substance
so it looks more like standard good vitamin M

the story is being plugged hard in NZ and its in aussie as well
so it looks like a coordinated effort by someone to discredit the vape industry
It's the same "someone" as all along, namely Tobacco Control.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
There's a new NEJM article out, "some report using only nicotine products."

Any odds on how many of the "some" who turn out to be like the young "not me" guy whose brother, a state trooper, didn't believe him and found what he was actually vaping?
I would say the odds are darn close to 100%.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm in a better mood and my mixes turned out fine. As it so happens. I also had this organizational FIT where I decided ALL my flavors had to be upright, in boxes, and that I was not going to waste even a DROP of juice via leakage, etc.

I made it work, even all in the fridge even. I was an organizational madwoman and then I came to ECF and read stuff and was glad I *did* that as I will not be buying more flavors for some time. No need.

Well, the one I need is condensed milk, but really not that badly. Etc.

I also made base. My labels are good, It's happy times.

I am definitively sick a COUGHING fit woke me. I can't remember the last time that happened. Fooey. I would stay here today but I got to go to the pharmacia to pick up some (legal) meds.

Anna

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread