UK had 1st Oil Vaping-Related Death in 2010, US has 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
@Blitzdonlife - good video, but if this is an emergency, and 100 Americans being killed by other Americans using guns every day is not, then there is a problem with priorities. That doesn't even cover the rest who will spend months or a life time recovering. They didn't die, but they will suffer.

And yes I know, the 2nd amendment, but our politicians and pundits are using this as hot topic because it is an easy vote, save the kids, and keep our minds focused on anything but the real worthwhile emergency matters.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm considering not vaping and trying lozenges again. But it drives my stomach nuts. On the plus side, it might help brake he habit part of my addiction, I guess. Hand to mouth inhale/exhale part.
You're vaping unflavored, that you presumably mix yourself, and you're worried why exactly?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
For all we know some yutz sprayed the hell out of a crop, and didn't wash the green before processing.
As I understand it such contaminants have been a concern in that market since forever ago. Maybe the plants are more susceptible to problems than tobacco.
Or maybe tobacco growers have a bit more experience with their crops than MJ growers do, and perhaps the Evil Corporations™ who buy the tobacco growers' crop test it for known problematic contaminants?

• Agree
Reactions: AttyPops

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It'll be at least a few more months, before we find out what exactly was/is happening.
If I had to guess, it will be about 8 months. They'll continue to treat the nicotine vaping community like mushrooms until after the PMTA deadline.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
@Blitzdonlife - good video, but if this is an emergency, and 100 Americans being killed by other Americans using guns every day is not, then there is a problem with priorities. That doesn't even cover the rest who will spend months or a life time recovering. They didn't die, but they will suffer.

And yes I know, the 2nd amendment, but our politicians and pundits are using this as hot topic because it is an easy vote, save the kids, and keep our minds focused on anything but the real worthwhile emergency matters.
It's all relative of course. So many issues that need to be addressed are being swept under the rug. For instance, should firearm suicides be included in gun violence statistics? Is homelessness an issue of an individuals value being based on social status, thereby relegating the poor to then deserve what they get (For the record I oppose this viewpoint)? How many human slaves have been trafficked in the U.S.A. in 2019? So many issues I've not represented here. Sure priorities are screwed, I agree 110%. Vaping is the current 'hot topic' right now in the media. I think this in is an example of 'the squeeky wheel gets the grease' way that things work in popular society. Vapings wheel sure is getting mighty loud in its squeek.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
If I had to guess, it will be about 8 months. They'll continue to treat the nicotine vaping community like mushrooms until after the PMTA deadline.
Maybe. The CDC is not a regulatory agency, so I hope, at least, that political considerations do not play a major part.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
New study: Not one vaping illness linked to legal e-cigarette pods

Amid continued moral panic over vaping, another study has confirmed that there is no link between any vaping-related death or pulmonary problem and even a single legal e-cigarette pod.

A study published by over a dozen physicians from the Mayo Clinic in the New England Journal of Medicine found that the inhalation of "one or more ... toxic substances" was responsible for the lung injuries observed in the biopsies in 17 patients. Seventy-one percent of the patients self-reported vaping marijuana or cannabis oils, but the researchers did not appear to do any urine or hair testing to see if the other 29% had done the same.

The pathology of the patients studied seemingly indicates that the injuries were cause by mysterious "medications (especially amiodarone) or noxious chemical fumes." Seeing as the sparse contents of legal vaping pods are regulated by the FDA, it's unlikely that legal pods could possible have this effect.

"Foamy macrophages and foamy pneumocytes" were found by the researchers to be "universally" present in vaping injuries, and the study specifically notes that illicit drugs "have been associated with foamy macrophage accumulation." Combined with the prevalence of marijuana use in the patients, the likelihood that marijuana use in these cases are severely underreported, and that patients fessing up to vaping high concentrations of THC had more urgent injuries, it's looking increasingly likely that black market, laced vape pods are in fact the culprit behind the recent outbreak.

The Mayo Clinic study replicates the trend across the country of lung-injured patients overwhelmingly reporting the use of black market vape pods. As of yet, there hasn't been a single vape-related death or illness definitively proven to stem from the use of legal, FDA-approved vaping products.

Surely that won't stop paternalistic politicians on both sides of the aisle from fearmongering and sending more vapers to the black market, but the science is gradually elucidating a fairly commonsense finding: Illegal vaping products, not FDA-regulated products, are likely to blame.

Interesting op-ed. New info (at least to me) in bold.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
That is certainly interesting!

I hope equally interesting: I was talking to my neighbor who happens to do a very dirty job for a very dirty branch of a well known very dirty oil company without proper protection. He explained how all of his colleagues smoke, how smokes are available at a reduced rate at his work and how his shift manager made it quite clear that the job was for smokers. Apparently, the company has been using smoking as an insurance policy against workers sueing for lung diseases (inevitable when working in highly solvent contaminated air without proper protection). Ironically, if all this vaping controversy were to make it over here, he would actually be better off since he would probably feel ok to vape at work instead of just at home.

Now mind you, this is all hearsay and even if I think he's a nice person, he works double shifts in those circumstances so his mind is not all it can be.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
New study: Not one vaping illness linked to legal e-cigarette pods

Amid continued moral panic over vaping, another study has confirmed that there is no link between any vaping-related death or pulmonary problem and even a single legal e-cigarette pod.

A study published by over a dozen physicians from the Mayo Clinic in the New England Journal of Medicine found that the inhalation of "one or more ... toxic substances" was responsible for the lung injuries observed in the biopsies in 17 patients. Seventy-one percent of the patients self-reported vaping marijuana or cannabis oils, but the researchers did not appear to do any urine or hair testing to see if the other 29% had done the same.

The pathology of the patients studied seemingly indicates that the injuries were cause by mysterious "medications (especially amiodarone) or noxious chemical fumes." Seeing as the sparse contents of legal vaping pods are regulated by the FDA, it's unlikely that legal pods could possible have this effect.

"Foamy macrophages and foamy pneumocytes" were found by the researchers to be "universally" present in vaping injuries, and the study specifically notes that illicit drugs "have been associated with foamy macrophage accumulation." Combined with the prevalence of marijuana use in the patients, the likelihood that marijuana use in these cases are severely underreported, and that patients fessing up to vaping high concentrations of THC had more urgent injuries, it's looking increasingly likely that black market, laced vape pods are in fact the culprit behind the recent outbreak.

The Mayo Clinic study replicates the trend across the country of lung-injured patients overwhelmingly reporting the use of black market vape pods. As of yet, there hasn't been a single vape-related death or illness definitively proven to stem from the use of legal, FDA-approved vaping products.

Surely that won't stop paternalistic politicians on both sides of the aisle from fearmongering and sending more vapers to the black market, but the science is gradually elucidating a fairly commonsense finding: Illegal vaping products, not FDA-regulated products, are likely to blame.

Interesting op-ed. New info (at least to me) in bold.

There is one sentence that's subject to interpretation
" As of yet, there hasn't been a single vape-related death or illness definitively proven to stem from the use of legal, FDA-approved vaping products."

As there are no FDA approved vaping products, I guess it's sorta correct. If it doesn't exist it can't cause harm, right?

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Now 19 ...
The jump of 275 cases in one week is a combination of new illnesses being reported and retrospective cases, with no sign that the cases have peaked, federal officials said.

We’re concerned that risky product is still available,” said Anne Schuchat, the principal deputy director of the CDC, on a press call. “That’s one of the reasons we’ve intensified our recommendations or warnings.”

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
There is one sentence that's subject to interpretation
" As of yet, there hasn't been a single vape-related death or illness definitively proven to stem from the use of legal, FDA-approved vaping products."

As there are no FDA approved vaping products, I guess it's sorta correct. If it doesn't exist it can't cause harm, right?
Yup, however, from my understanding, all the e-juice makers were required by the FDA a couple of years ago to send the FDA everything that went into their juices. I wonder if they are including them?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yup, however, from my understanding, all the e-juice makers were required by the FDA a couple of years ago to send the FDA everything that went into their juices. I wonder if they are including them?

Those are all registered. Not one is approved, and all will need PMTAs filed for approval by whatever date is finally set after a thousand more lawsuits from everyone and their brother.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Vaping cartridges with potentially deadly chemicals linked to US e-cig deaths being imported into Britain on the Dark Web

One so-called darknet marketplace contained dozens of offers to sell cannabis vape oil cartridges to buyers in the UK.

A dealer there was offering carts containing "super strong" blueberry skunk vape oil containing 98 per cent pure THC for £34.99 each with free delivery.

The same dealer was offering a deal of £100 for a pack of four carts or £500 for 20 mixed disposable THC oil vapes, which brought the unit price down to £25.

Another vendor, was offering "Cali Shatter Valley" cannabis vape carts for £40 each with free delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread