Could you quit vaping if circumstances proved it to be the best choice (read FDA/local political decisions)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
I have a hernia behind my vertical c-sec scar; normally in pregnancy the ligaments stretch to allow the abdominal muscles to slide away to the sides, but with a vertical (emergency) c-sec, they have to cut those ligaments. When my son was about 5 yrs old, I began to notice that all my asthmatic and smoker's coughing was causing a bulge just under that scar, which I could pop back in -- over the years, the tear has widened a bit more, and when I had my laparoscopic appendectomy, which goes thru the navel, the doc repaired part of the hernia that was right there, she said it was quite common in women who've had children, because the "inny" becomes temporarily an "outie" while the abdomen is distended. I wish she'd have fixed the whole thing, but then I guess she'd be trying to bill me $10k instead of the $2.5k she's trying to get out of me -- completely disregarding the "charity" status the hospital awarded which discounted my bill by 96%. Guess it's true what they say about surgeons, they DO think they're god -- and not a merciful god, either.

Andria

Im loving the DIY stuff too. I am almost out of the Mothers Milk clone I made a few weeks ago so mixed up another 60ml batch with a slightly different recipe. Now to give it a few days steeping time while I finish up what I have left.

My original surgeon who did my first three surgeries said I had poor quality connective tissue and explained it like the gristle in a steak. He said mine was very poor. Of course I had to tell my mom "gee thanks for not using quality material when she made me" and she got a laugh out of it. I looked at the bill after everything was done and just for 9 days in the hospital it was $110K and they settled for less than $30K thru my insurance. Then I got bills from every single nurse and everyone else who stepped in my room. An ICU surcharge and a bunch of other junk. By the time it was all done it was close to $200K for the initial hernia failure. Thankfully the company I work for has outstanding insurance coverage.

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
I wish she'd have fixed the whole thing, but then I guess she'd be trying to bill me $10k instead of the $2.5k she's trying to get out of me -- completely disregarding the "charity" status the hospital awarded which discounted my bill by 96%.

The hospital discounted the bill, not the surgeon. They bill separately. Often the doctors and labs aren't even in the same insurance network.

But, how much was her time and skill worth?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The hospital discounted the bill, not the surgeon. They bill separately. Often the doctors and labs aren't even in the same insurance network.

But, how much was her time and skill worth?

A lot, but at the rate of $20 a month (which is ALL I can afford to pay her) it's going to take well over 100 months to pay her -- that's over 9 years. All the other docs and svcs went along with the hospital's discounted rate -- except the surgeon, who just won't see reason and understand that not everyone makes the same kind of money she does. The reason I don't have insurance in the first place is because to afford it, I'd have to stop paying the mortgage or stop buying food. It's not like one day I said, oh, I think my appendix should go septic and need to be removed so I can stiff a bunch of doctors -- it was an EMERGENCY.

Andria

Last edited:

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
A lot, but at the rate of $20 a month (which is ALL I can afford to pay her) it's going to take well over 100 months to pay her -- that's over 9 years. All the other docs and svcs went along with the hospital's discounted rate -- except the surgeon, who just won't see reason and understand that not everyone makes the same kind of money she does.

It's her call as to what she wants to do. It'd be great if everyone was generous with their time and services, but not all are.

Take your car to a mechanic when the engine quits and see if he'll give you a 96% discount. Or even give you the car back without payment.

Either way, her time and skills are worth $2500 not $100. Would you do $2500 worth of work for some random person off the street for just $100?

100 years ago, people had a relationship with the doctor. You weren't just some random stranger off the street. Then again, that doctor probably would not have been able to save you either, and you'd have died. Of course you'd probably have died 5 years earlier in child birth.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
It's her call as to what she wants to do. It'd be great if everyone was generous with their time and services, but not all are.

Take your car to a mechanic when the engine quits and see if he'll give you a 96% discount. Or even give you the car back without payment.

Either way, her time and skills are worth $2500 not $100. Would you do $2500 worth of work for some random person off the street for just $100?

100 years ago, people had a relationship with the doctor. You weren't just some random stranger off the street. Then again, that doctor probably would not have been able to save you either, and you'd have died. Of course you'd probably have died 5 years earlier in child birth.

Well, I was quite up-front with the hospital that I had no job and no insurance, it was right there in my chart for that surgeon to see -- and I was not given a choice as to surgeon, she was assigned by the hospital. So she'll just have to accept the $20/mo I can pay her, because she knew my circumstances from the get-go.

Andria

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Your right sonicdsl, we got off the beaten path.

To get back on the path, well, can I quit vaping if circumstances proved it to be the best choice (read FDA/local political decisions)? Donno. Never thought I could quit smoking but I did thanks to vaping. Will I quit if the FDA or local politics stick their noses into it, no. Im already situated where I have enough to last a long time. Now if the economy crashes, martial law is imposed and the power grids are shut down, then I might not have a choice for I wont be able to charge my batteries, yet, but I am thinking of solar powered chargers in case ;)

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
It must be a slow night because I think he dug this up off page 3 or 4, lol. I was looking over Rolygate's (off topic) posts again. A lot of good, interesting information.

Yes, there is solar power. If we lose the grid, I'm think of hooking up the old treadmill and having the dog run on it to charge the batteries. I do not want to go back to smoking.

Just funnin' ya Sonic. :)

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
As far as I'm concerned, the only person who gets to decide if I quit vaping is ME, for my own reasons. Just like I was the only one who got a vote in when I quit smoking or drinking. When, or if, I get enough years of non-smoking behind me that I'm not worried about relapsing, and if my asthma is giving me problems, then I might consider quitting vaping. That's probably the only way I would consider it.

I hate busybodies, trying to mind everyone's biz but their own, and gov't busybodies are the WORST.

Andria

ctruth

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Southern California
Shop Around
Vape Around

*.*.*.*...
When I became of age, my mother told me 'bout the blues
She said, "Son you're growing up now
Pretty soon you'll try some snus"….
And then she said

"Just because you've become a young man now
There's still some things that you don't understand now
Before you ask me can you smoke a cigarette now
Keep your lungs and your health and your breath now"

My mama told me, you better vape around
Oh yeah, you better vape around

I wish…

Last edited:

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Learned something today. Had to go to town and half way there I noticed I forgot all my vapes. Crud!!! Three months ago if I forgot my smokes it would of been U turn time but I kept going. Spent well over 2 hours gone, came home, did a few things and then was like, yeah, where is my vapes. So If I had to quit I dont see it would be too much of a problem.

I am like a lot of other people in the regard that I hate big government that believes it has the right to tell me what I can and cant do. I look at the government telling me I can or cannot vape the same way I look at the government thinking it has the right to tell me if I can or cannot own a gun. Call me an outlaw if ya want but I aint complying!

ctruth

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Southern California
Learned something today. Had to go to town and half way there I noticed I forgot all my vapes. Crud!!! Three months ago if I forgot my smokes it would of been U turn time but I kept going. Spent well over 2 hours gone, came home, did a few things and then was like, yeah, where is my vapes. So If I had to quit I dont see it would be too much of a problem.

I am like a lot of other people in the regard that I hate big government that believes it has the right to tell me what I can and cant do. I look at the government telling me I can or cannot vape the same way I look at the government thinking it has the right to tell me if I can or cannot own a gun. Call me an outlaw if ya want but I aint complying!

Yep. I wouldn't go (too far) out of my way for a vape like I would have for a cigarette (or buy a pack ASAP).

By the same token, I wouldn't want to spend more than a full day without vaping.
But I could! And that's the beauty of it.

ctruth

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Southern California
In a couple weeks I have to go in for another surgery and the Doc was telling me 8 to 9 days minimum hospital stay. Will find out then if I can or cant vape while in the hospital. If nothing else i will stealth vape!

Sure you can (although I did get caught once in my dentist's chair).

(for the "On Topic" moderator).."But them damn Feds ain't gonna stop me!"

I believe these incessant commercials and advertisements are slowly but surely driving us all insane.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
By the way. When you all were arguing about dependency, did anyone bother to mention the fact that now we ex-smokers have CHOICES. Whereas before we really didn't?

I've been discovering that, over the last few days. I have a cold -- the mildest cold I've had in 40 yrs, since I don't have a chest full of tar anymore, but I've been trying to take it a little easier on the vaping, and surprise! It's not difficult at all. As a smoker, it didn't matter if I was sick with THE FLU, I still had to smoke just as much, but with vaping it's not difficult to just cut back a little, while my body heals itself. It also doesn't hurt your throat and chest so much, as smoking did -- I had a bad cold back in January when I first found ECF, and I remember having to go out in the cold and smoke, and coughing up about a lung and a half, but had to do it anyway, just to stay "normal." I'm sure that contributed a lot to my motivation with vaping, to get free of something that did THAT to me.

When a women says “What?”, it’s not because she didn’t hear you. She’s giving you a chance to change what you said.

I love this! :thumbs:

Andria

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
In a couple weeks I have to go in for another surgery and the Doc was telling me 8 to 9 days minimum hospital stay. Will find out then if I can or cant vape while in the hospital. If nothing else i will stealth vape!

Oh that sucks. I hope it's your last big time surgery and you breeze right through it. Stealth vape if you have to, they can't bust you for smelling like a cupcake.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'll forget my phone, but a vape? No way. Heck, I won't go out for more than an hour w/o a backup. :D

+1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread