Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I think smoking less by any number of cigarettes is a good thing. But dual use doesn't work for everyone. I know it wouldn't have worked for me I would not have been able to quit by cutting down while vaping.

I went with vaping alone. Told myself no more smoking and chain vaped high nic juice the first few weeks. Still wanted a smoke until about week 3 but since then don't want them.

sof101

Dec 12, 2017
What kind of device and what nicotine strength are you using?

I haven't smoked in four years, but if I drop my nicotine from 6mg/ml to 3mg/ml, it can really make me feel like I haven't vaped all day.
I started with 12mg as a lot of gyus here suggested but I had some headaches and felt not better so I decreased to 6mg and stuck to. I feel good with it even if I feel no hit at this level. The most important thing is that my body is no more requesting nic apart during the craving moments I mentionned.

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
I started with 12mg as a lot of gyus here suggested but I had some headaches and felt not better so I decreased to 6mg and stuck to. I feel good with it even if I feel no hit at this level. The most important thing is that my body is no more requesting nic apart during the craving moments I mentionned.
Fair enough. It sounds like you're still adjusting to the transition. There's also additives like acetaldehydes and bronchiodilators in cigarettes, designed to make them more addictive, as well as making the nicotine absorb into your system much easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

sof101

Dec 12, 2017
I carried cigarettes with me for about a month after making the switch - I never wanted to feel panicked that I couldn't have one if I wanted to. I had vivid dreams about smoking for quite a while, but no other real bad cravings.

You are doing GREAT - do what works for you, at your pace.[/QUOTE]

If I carry cigarettes with me be sure I'll smoke them whether I vape or not :). during all vaping period I kept cigarettes far from me. The ones I smoked I got them from a friend. no way to sleep knowing some cigs are at hand.

sof101

Dec 12, 2017
Since i can't really say if it's right or wrong, I'll say this: took me 1 week to completely give up analogs. In that week i tried to resist as much as i could but always had my morning cig but the rest of the day i tried to keep myself calm and focused to not give in to the cravings. Dosen't mean it'll work for you but that's how i managed (pretty much just get flavors i loved and vaped through each cravings).

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
thanks for the advice but since I quit to 0 cig I have no cravings during the day, everything is fine and I just keep vaping all day long. the craving happens after 3 or 4 days generally in the evening, once I smoke one it'll be ok for another 3/4 days. since I'm on 0 cig since nearly 12 days it happened twice.

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I vaped like a research monkey and got through it.

This really tickled me :lol:

@sof101 Hello and welcome back to ECF. You are doing really well. Giving up cigs after 30 years can be difficult. Don't be so hard on yourself. Stick around here. You will get plenty of support.
Catherine

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Something that worked for me: Go buy the crappiest, cheapest cigs that you can find. Leave them in the glove compartment of your car. When you get to the point where you can't fight the cravings any more go ahead and light that bad boy up. Make yourself pay attention to the bad flavor, the bad smell, and everything that it does to your body. Dry mouth. Maybe some chest pain. Soak that in and try to be as aware of it as possible. Try to take your time with it and really be in the moment. Over time (especially as your pack gets older and older) the negatives will hopefully start to break the 'idea' of what smoking a cigarette is like. I have found that I don't really crave a cig. I crave the idea of pleasurable smoking. The thing is that after vaping so long, a cigarette doesn't actually give me pleasure.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
There is no right or wrong, there is only what works for you.

As for me, I was a 32 year 2 PAD smoker.

I was determined to quit and knew myself well enough to know I needed a clean break - so I resisted all cravings, which wasn't always easy considering my husband was smoking around me. At the two week mark, I did cave to a craving and lit up but at that point I had been vaping exclusively long enough that the taste of the cigarette was disgusting (compared to my dessert flavored ejuice), and it made me cough fairly bad. I put it out without finishing never to pick one up again.

After that i still had periodic cravings over the next couple months, but after the hacking, coughing, nasty tasting experience at the two week mark those cravings were easy to resist.

You do what you feel you need to... no matter what that is.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I keep multiple toppers filled with DIY juice next to them. One juice, Cinnamon Danish, is always a little higher in Nic, that is my morning vape with my coffee. I just get my morning fix a little quicker.

Stress will give me a craving for Nic. I go somewhere quiet for a quicker, more intense vape.

In the same sense, sitting on the sofa with my APV, I will tend to vape more, but I just put the APV out of my line of sight. I never carry it around in my hand.

I let my body tell me what I need to do.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
thanks for the advice but since I quit to 0 cig I have no cravings during the day, everything is fine and I just keep vaping all day long. the craving happens after 3 or 4 days generally in the evening, once I smoke one it'll be ok for another 3/4 days. since I'm on 0 cig since nearly 12 days it happened twice.
IllI tell you what we love to say here: every cig you don't smoke is a win, that's how you should see it even though you're already on 0 cig.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
IllI tell you what we love to say here: every cig you don't smoke is a win, that's how you should see it even though you're already on 0 cig.

Truth. If you're vaping to quit then every cig you skip is a battle that you won. String enough of those together and you win the war.

sof101

Dec 12, 2017
The fact is I don't want to be dual user. As “beamslider” said above ; I know it won’t work for me too. This morning I took time to calculat the number of cigarettes I didn’t smoke since (at least) last two weeks, it's a big number and I'm very happy with that. I'm doing all what should be done to quit and continue making things maybe differently. I can up nic to 12 mg but I’ve severe gastritis and fear my stomach will not be happy with that. I put a lot of money on different e-cig stuffs (not lot on juices as I prefer tobacco flavors – I’ll pick a look at the METs suggested by “nicotinisbomb”). My fear is to go back and fail in switching to e-cig completely. I know how cigarette works and I know how much its effects’s machiavelic. Vaping is a new experience it’s why other’s experiences are important.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
The fact is I don't want to be dual user. As “beamslider” said above ; I know it won’t work for me too. This morning I took time to calculat the number of cigarettes I didn’t smoke since (at least) last two weeks, it's a big number and I'm very happy with that. I'm doing all what should be done to quit and continue making things maybe differently. I can up nic to 12 mg but I’ve severe gastritis and fear my stomach will not be happy with that. I put a lot of money on different e-cig stuffs (not lot on juices as I prefer tobacco flavors – I’ll pick a look at the METs suggested by “nicotinisbomb”). My fear is to go back and fail in switching to e-cig completely. I know how cigarette works and I know how much its effects’s machiavelic. Vaping is a new experience it’s why other’s experiences are important.

I recommend Mister E Liquid to anybody that wants tobacco flavors. They have a really nice lineup of flavors, their prices are good, and they have good options for nic level and VG/PG ratio.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
The fact is I don't want to be dual user. As “beamslider” said above ; I know it won’t work for me too.
I felt it wouldn't work for me either. So, I resisted the occasional cigarette. I know that I'm an extreme creature of habit. I do whatever I'm in the habit of doing.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread