Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Some friends of mine are telling me how dangerous PG is. Saying that it causes nore damage to lungs than smoking. And somehow even causes kidney damage. First off i dont believe this, even though the source of this info is a doctor who told my friends this. Im still trying to figure the connection with the kidney thing, and since PG is in a lot of different products we use and consume, ive decided that vaping PG cannot be pinpointed as the cause. I know that antivaping propaganda comes from the sore losers (BT) and anyone in their pocket, but it never fails to amaze me how people believe things they hear without actually trying take the responsibility of learning anything on their own. I also hear how vaping causes pneumonia. This is also horse manure. Ive been vaping over a year now and never had pneumonia yet. Been a member of this forum almost that long too and cant recall any other member reporting that they had pneumonia from vaping. In fact, as this is my second winter season as a vaper, i have only had 2 colds. One recently, and one last year. As a smoker i would get a cold that turned into full blown bronchitis requiring antibiotics and bronchodilators at least 3 if not 4 times a year. Started vaping and that crap stopped. Anybody else have anything to add?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Some friends of mine are telling me how dangerous PG is. Saying that it causes nore damage to lungs than smoking. And somehow even causes kidney damage. First off i dont believe this, even though the source of this info is a doctor who told my friends this. Im still trying to figure the connection with the kidney thing, and since PG is in a lot of different products we use and consume, ive decided that vaping PG cannot be pinpointed as the cause. I know that antivaping propaganda comes from the sore losers (BT) and anyone in their pocket, but it never fails to amaze me how people believe things they hear without actually trying take the responsibility of learning anything on their own. I also hear how vaping causes pneumonia. This is also horse manure. Ive been vaping over a year now and never had pneumonia yet. Been a member of this forum almost that long too and cant recall any other member reporting that they had pneumonia from vaping. In fact, as this is my second winter season as a vaper, i have only had 2 colds. One recently, and one last year. As a smoker i would get a cold that turned into full blown bronchitis requiring antibiotics and bronchodilators at least 3 if not 4 times a year. Started vaping and that crap stopped. Anybody else have anything to add?

It's almost impossible to live and not consume PG in foods, drinks, skin products, and the many other products that it's in. If PG was dangerous it wouldn't be in soft drinks, sauces, many foods, and skin care products. We eat it, drink it, and rub it on our skin every day. It's even used in hospital "breathing treatments" to deliver medicine in an inhaled fog for patients with lung issues.

We'd probably be slightly better off if we didn't vape, but for most of us it's the safer alternative to smoking cigarettes. I'd also be healthier if I didn't consume products with sugar, fat, and all the preservatives that are in our food chain.

The Truth About Propylene Glycol, According to a Chemist | NaturallyCurly.com

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I work in a pretty specific industry, there isnt a lot of cross over industries.
There is a certain amount of insider knowledge that the general public can have no way of knowing anything about except through word of mouth or urban legend, never first hand.
Recently met up with an old friend that I hadnt seen for decades. When the conversation turned to what we did for work now and I told him what I was doing he began telling me all about it! Everytime he told me a "factoid" about the industry Im in I would say something like, "no, that doesnt happen", "yeah, nah, doesnt work like that", "that would be impossible", "no, mate, its nothing like that" etc etc .
Media has created an idea or perception of what the industry I am in is like, it isnt really an accurate perception at all. Certain elements of the medias projections are almost fabrications but the public embrace what they see on "news" and social media sites.
Vaping is a lot like that. Sometimes people who have never vaped and know nothing about any of it start telling me about vaping. They can only drop in your estimations, like my old friend did.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My dear little mommy sat me down for a "Did you know that stuff is dangerous" talk. It didn't last very long, I spewed knowledge at her and then sweetly asked her if she would like me to come stay with her while on Chantix and I detoxed off vaping and she could try to figure out when to hospitalize me and whatnot. She hastily declined.

I then stated my only alternative was returning to smoking then, and did she miss my second hand smoke and/or my incipient COPD. She also said no.

They know so much horse poop.... And they are so easy to change their tune.

That's the ODD thing even if vaping were more dangerous it's so much more PLEASANT than smoking, I really don't get this trend.

Which is why I now "Educate" strangers who want to tell me I will die faster by requesting they consider the source, and that they can just leave me to die, as a former smoker, since they hate smokers that much.

Sigh.
Anns

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I work in a pretty specific industry, there isnt a lot of cross over industries.
There is a certain amount of insider knowledge that the general public can have no way of knowing anything about except through word of mouth or urban legend, never first hand.
Recently met up with an old friend that I hadnt seen for decades. When the conversation turned to what we did for work now and I told him what I was doing he began telling me all about it! Everytime he told me a "factoid" about the industry Im in I would say something like, "no, that doesnt happen", "yeah, nah, doesnt work like that", "that would be impossible", "no, mate, its nothing like that" etc etc .
Media has created an idea or perception of what the industry I am in is like, it isnt really an accurate perception at all. Certain elements of the medias projections are almost fabrications but the public embrace what they see on "news" and social media sites.
Vaping is a lot like that. Sometimes people who have never vaped and know nothing about any of it start telling me about vaping. They can only drop in your estimations, like my old friend did.

Agree.

There's all sorts of propaganda floating around concerning vaping. So much of that is misinformed garbage propagated by uninformed people who read blurbs in the news about anti-freeze and other misdirected comments made by ANTZ. I agree that vaping is a stop smoking tool and shouldn't be started by those looking for "coolness", especially those under 21.

I'm about to enter my 10th year vaping all day every day (after 40 years of smoking). My doctor approves since it got me off a 2 PAD cigarette habit. He comments favorably about my 98%-99% oxygen saturation, weight loss (a hard thing to do after quitting smoking), and the results of my blood tests, X-rays, and CAT scans.

I exercise 3 to 4 days a week with free weights, a 6 mile stationary bike ride, and several routines on the Total Gym. At my age I'm in excellent health due to exercise and not smoking. Recently, I had ultrasound scans on my carotid arteries and the arteries in my legs. Carotid arteries in my neck are wide open (doctor described them as almost patent).

I'm going to undergo an in office procedure soon to remove partial restrictions in the large arteries in my legs (one spot in each). My doctor says it's a walk in/walk out procedure. Other than that, which he says occurred slowly over time as a smoker, I'm in really good health for my retirement age.

Vaping has probably extended my life and prevented the ultimate outcome of a lifetime of smoking. I was fortunate to discover vaping early enough to prevent smoking from taking its toll on my health.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I, too, find vaping far more pleasant than cigarettes. For me, the choice is vape or smoke. I have no concrete, factual idea whether vaping is a healthy alternative to smoking but I know I like it better and I feel better. Only fact I know for certain is the carbon monoxide and particulate matter are eliminated and my oxygen saturation is 96+ per cent. I am not going back even it is is proved beyond reasonable doubt that vaping and cigarettes are equivalently harmful. Back to the first sentence; vaping is more pleasant for me than cigarettes. I probably would stay with vaping even if it is proved that cigarettes are less harmful.

My dear little mommy sat me down for a "Did you know that stuff is dangerous" talk. It didn't last very long, I spewed knowledge at her and then sweetly asked her if she would like me to come stay with her while on Chantix and I detoxed off vaping and she could try to figure out when to hospitalize me and whatnot. She hastily declined.

I then stated my only alternative was returning to smoking then, and did she miss my second hand smoke and/or my incipient COPD. She also said no.

They know so much horse poop.... And they are so easy to change their tune.

That's the ODD thing even if vaping were more dangerous it's so much more PLEASANT than smoking, I really don't get this trend.

Which is why I now "Educate" strangers who want to tell me I will die faster by requesting they consider the source, and that they can just leave me to die, as a former smoker, since they hate smokers that much.

Sigh.
Anns

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
So, should we tell asthmatics to stop using their inhalers (since they contain PG)?

If anything, PG helps prevent pneumonia since it's a drying agent.

Kidney damage? I wonder where they got that one? Nevermind, just looked it up. It's because ethylene glycol causes kidney damage. They figure antifreeze is antifreeze.

The thing I most love about the internet is the ability to Google and learn!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So, should we tell asthmatics to stop using their inhalers (since they contain PG)?

If anything, PG helps prevent pneumonia since it's a drying agent.

Kidney damage? I wonder where they got that one? Nevermind, just looked it up. It's because ethylene glycol causes kidney damage. They figure antifreeze is antifreeze.

The thing I most love about the internet is the ability to Google and learn!

Which goes to show that you can't believe everything you read. It pays to check out anything you hear, see, or read on the internet. :)

PG is in so many things we eat, drink, and rub on our skin. Google "propylene glycol in foods and cosmetics" and you'll be surprised at how much PG goes down our throats. It's even in your toothpaste, soft drinks, salad dressing, and cake icing.

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
We all know there are people like that out there but it always worries me when it comes up like this. Humans have a tendency to believe anything if it comes from a source that the individual believes is an authority.

So doctors, the news/media, a boss, a politician....

We all also have a strong desire to be compliant...just google Milgram's experiment...which was a famous Psychology experiment from the 70's. It's a good read.

Sadly your friends are the types who would exterminate Jews if they were asked to by their politicians :(

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
PG is a largely used chemical that is usually an external thing. Some say "well it's used in breathing treatments".

Great, but why is the user doing breathing treatments? Probably not so they can run a faster mile, but because the lungs are in need of assistance. Whether it athsma or a lung disease, it probably does affect the lungs in ways we are yet to learn. Do they study the long term affects of PG on tissue that was already ruined by disease? How would you even do that?

Now regarding the kidneys, well in a general sense they are filters our blood use to clean itself and stuff we inhale ends up in the blood. Oxygen for example. But take smoking for another example, the carbon monoxide ends up in the blood as well, so it stands to reason that so would PG, right?

If it turns out PG does harm kidneys time will show. But like I've said before about vaping versus smoking: with vaping you are not inhaling carbon monoxide.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread