Dangerous PG

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Drink more water. Counteract the drying effect of the pg in your juice.
I work in the heat. I fully well know vaping causes faster dehydration than smoking did. The solution ? Drink more water.
If you're new to vaping and a former smoker, drinking more water not only stops the dry mouth but helps your body flush out the residual nasties from smoking faster.
As far as everything read on the internet, the first one to ever say don't believe everything you read on the internet is often attributed to Abraham Lincoln .
My wife got all over my case once for vaping saying "the surgeon general said vaping might be harmful". It's all what folks want to hear to prove to themselves what they want to believe. She also said "I don't want you smoking that stuff around me". To that I answered "I haven't smoked in months". She hasn't said a word to me about my vaping since.

Never before in the history of mankind has the truth been so easy to find yet so many are so not willing to seek it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
DaveP, I was thinking about oxidative damage to DNA.

But we don't hear much about ozone, which is a compose single Oxygen atom. It's used for fumigation and is known to damage lung tissue on contact. And best thing is that cars fitted with catalytic converters produce it, but it at least increased the price of platinum.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Also: always know your sources. You will find conflicting things on the internet, and playing around with different search engines is useful too. I will never, ever use google.

The only thing I can say with any confidence that is true about the internet is, "If it's on FB it is probably propaganda, a lie, or just SOMETHING you wish you had never read."

I miss the 90s, I DO. Everyone says "that generation didn't do anything." Um. I believe that was the time the Internet happened.

Yep. Nothing major going on there (and yeah, the military and probably some geeks were using it in the 80s, but the shoulder pads and leg warmers cancel it out.)

You all have NO idea what we gen xrs are gonna do next. I would be okay with "Rise up and conquer the current government" but also, I would also be open to like a more peaceable solution as well. See what I mean?

Gen Xrs. Silent (okay, well I'm quiet about mah true goals) but deadly. Like a fart.

Anna

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Some friends of mine are telling me how dangerous PG is. Saying that it causes nore damage to lungs than smoking. And somehow even causes kidney damage. First off i dont believe this, even though the source of this info is a doctor who told my friends this. Im still trying to figure the connection with the kidney thing, and since PG is in a lot of different products we use and consume, ive decided that vaping PG cannot be pinpointed as the cause.

Kidney damage? I wonder where they got that one? Nevermind, just looked it up. It's because ethylene glycol causes kidney damage. They figure antifreeze is antifreeze.

I suspect DancingHeretik has nailed it here. Ethylene glycol is/used to be used as antifreeze. It causes kidney damage. As people (and pets) get into it on occasion, it's increasingly being replaced by PG because PG is harmless*. People who mistake ignorance for knowledge then say "Antifreeze causes kidney damage. PG is antifreeze. PG causes kidney damage.".

* To humans and dogs, as far as we know. It's toxic to cats. As neither I, nor any of the vapers I know, are members of the Felidea family, this has not hitherto presented a problem.

I also hear how vaping causes pneumonia. This is also horse manure. Ive been vaping over a year now and never had pneumonia yet. Been a member of this forum almost that long too and cant recall any other member reporting that they had pneumonia from vaping. In fact, as this is my second winter season as a vaper, i have only had 2 colds. One recently, and one last year. As a smoker i would get a cold that turned into full blown bronchitis requiring antibiotics and bronchodilators at least 3 if not 4 times a year. Started vaping and that crap stopped. Anybody else have anything to add?

I can only offer anecdotal evidence here, so take it for what it's worth. The last three years I smoked, I got pneumonia each spring. In the six years since I switched to vaping, I have had pneumonia a grand total of zero times.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Elsewhere, I lamented the disappearance of logic as a requirement for graduation from high school. Your syllogism below is what passes for logic today. Well done.:toast:

I suspect DancingHeretik has nailed it here. Ethylene glycol is/used to be used as antifreeze. It causes kidney damage. As people (and pets) get into it on occasion, it's increasingly being replaced by PG because PG is harmless*. People who mistake ignorance for knowledge then say "Antifreeze causes kidney damage. PG is antifreeze. PG causes kidney damage.".

* To humans and dogs, as far as we know. It's toxic to cats. As neither I, nor any of the vapers I know, are members of the Felidea family, this has not hitherto presented a problem.

I can only offer anecdotal evidence here, so take it for what it's worth. The last three years I smoked, I got pneumonia each spring. In the six years since I switched to vaping, I have had pneumonia a grand total of zero times.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
I have to have kidney function tests ea 3-4 months because of a partial nephrectomy 3 years ago. It returned to normal and output tests the same within 6 months of the surgery. I think I'm coming up on 10 years of vaping here soon, so I call BS.

Also, few to no episodes of bronchitis, copd exacerbations since vaping as compared to before vaping.

I call it as I see it - I'm not smoking, not nearly as sick as I used to be and I have no plans to stop!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Elsewhere, I lamented the disappearance of logic as a requirement for graduation from high school. Your syllogism below is what passes for logic today. Well done.:toast:
It still gets taught, but only to the rich kids in the prep schools. The difference between a public or ecumenical high school and a true private prep school is night and day.

Funny thing is it didn’t used to be that way. The big prep schools just have the same standards and teacher ratios and classes and systems that public schools did in the 60’s. They didn’t go up, the public schools went down.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.

But we don't hear much about ozone, which is a compose single Oxygen atom. It's used for fumigation and is known to damage lung tissue on contact. And best thing is that cars fitted with catalytic converters produce it, but it at least increased the price of platinum.

update... ozone is O3, which contains 3 oxygen atoms. It is very unstable and is very eager to loose that extra atom which in turn is then very eager to latch onto something else. Basically a smoldering match will explode in a pure ozone atmosphere...

Reactions: DaveP

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Some friends of mine are telling me how dangerous PG is. Saying that it causes nore damage to lungs than smoking. And somehow even causes kidney damage. First off i dont believe this, even though the source of this info is a doctor who told my friends this.

I have some issues with the premise. First off, if a doctor actually told people those things, he is completely ......ed and NO ONE should be seeing him for any reason. Second, my guess is your friends head that nonsense through the grapevine and someone some where back up the line claimed a Dr. said it to make themselves sounds more knowledgeable (Sadly they failed) and your friends were just parroting what they heard from some imbecile. Either way, you should correct your friends misinformation and if they really are seeing that Dr., they should cancel all future appointments and find a Dr. that didn't get his medical license from a Cracker Jack box.

I apologize if this sounds like a rant, I am just allergic to stupidity and this is the only cure I have found.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

Ozone is that "fresh air smell" you sense after a thunderstorm. Yes, it's a triple atom version of the oxygen we breathe, but it's a fact of life. We like the fresh smell, but it's a damaging form of oxygen.

I think of vaping as the low calorie version of smoking. There's less risk, but still not as healthy as not vaping. Given that, I'm still a big fan of vaping just because I enjoy the actions of vaping that keep me from wanting to smoke. I haven't smoked in almost 9 years. I don't know what I'd do if I quit vaping. I do know that there would be a hole in my personality. After 40 years of smoking I need the actions of vaping to prevent me from going back to the pack a day habit.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
This made me smile...

''Teenage pregnancy increases have been correlated to and increase in teenage religious worship so this means that teenagers that believe in god are more likely to get pregnant''. :lol:

Yes the human mind is prone to making mistakes of this nature.

We can't all be clever but we should know something about why and how we're stupid :danger:

Reactions: CMD-Ky

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Bottom line here is uninformed and misinformed friends are way more dangerous than PG or vaping as a whole.

I agree, but in my opinion, a Dr. saying things like that should be considered medical malpractice. They are licensed because people need to be able to trust their Dr., but when a Dr. gives blatantly false information that prevents someone from switching from a dangerous product to a much safer product, they are DOING HARM and potentially causing someone to die a painful and horrible death. They should not be giving advice based on fake news they read on FB or on topics they have zero clue about. These Dr.s really should be reported to their State's Medical Board and lose their license or get sued out of existence.

Reactions: mattiem

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
DaveP, I hear you. Lesser of two evils.

I'd be better off not eating sweets and drinking coffee, and I could live without vaping but both are exclamation points in life. If we dump everything we enjoy because it's not particularly beneficial to our lives, we'd all walk around bored and listless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread