Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Got talked into the smok nord. Works great for about 3 days and then the coils start tasting burnt.

I've never owned a SMOK product before (7 years!) but I'm still on my first coil since March 8th.

I used the higher ohm one though, and vape clear eliquids.

Reactions: charlie1465

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I have no expectation that a pod will replace my full size vape. It's not about that at all. I use them sparingly. But I still expect them to be well made and last a while. When I use a pod sparingly and it completely dies within 2 months that's not acceptable. If a coil lasts me 3 days, that's not acceptable.

OK, I'm just going to say it. If you can't make a Nord give a respectable vape with good flavor and decent longevity on the coils, you're doing it wrong. And I'm not saying this in a mean way at all. It's just the majority of threads and post I've read, plus my own experience with the Nord, just doesn't tally with your complaints. I'm just pointing out that there must be something you are doing that is causing this and maybe you need to take a look at some of the things that will make any pod system fail to please. Things like:
  • Don't use the same nic level as your bigger devices. Use NS or FB at a higher level so that you won't need to use it as much for satisfaction.
  • No chain vaping. The wicks and coils are not designed for that.
  • Use a higher ohm coil as @Racehorse suggested to keep the heat out of the coil to try to reduce the caking of the coil with a too sweet, heavy custard, or a NET juice.
  • With the DNAGo Orion use escribe to dial out unwanted behavior. No brainer here. You will get a decent vape on the Orion (except for a bit muted on flavor), but still a good vape and reasonably long lasting coils.
  • No 5 second pulls. It's not made for that even though it can do it, but the coils may not last long unless you have a very clear/neutral juice. Besides, if you pull on a Nord for even 3 seconds you will get a lot of vapor, probably not your idea of stealth vape anyway, but worth mentioning.
There are a lot of things that can be added to the list, but I think the meaning is clear. You are the biggest barrier to a reasonably performing pod system and you really need to sit back and take a look at what you can do to remedy the issues you are having that most aren't with an open mind to problem solving and give it another go. While the Nord isn't perfect, it just isn't as bad as you make it out to be. The only serious complaint I have with the Nord is the way the fire button sits proud of the mod body. I think this was clearly a bad design decision although it doesn't affect the quality of the vape. The number of complaints on the fire button is significant and valid.

So take off the historian hat and put on a engineering hat and work out the problem and you might find a solution exists if you give the problems a bit of considered thought.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
  • Don't use the same nic level as your bigger devices. Use NS or FB at a higher level so that you won't need to use it as much for satisfaction.
those are the most important things about pods... and maybe the ones that confuses people....

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
OK, I'm just going to say it. If you can't make a Nord give a respectable vape with good flavor and decent longevity on the coils, you're doing it wrong. And I'm not saying this in a mean way at all. It's just the majority of threads and post I've read, plus my own experience with the Nord, just doesn't tally with your complaints. I'm just pointing out that there must be something you are doing that is causing this and maybe you need to take a look at some of the things that will make any pod system fail to please. Things like:
  • Use a higher ohm coil as @Racehorse suggested to keep the heat out of the coil to try to reduce the caking of the coil with a too sweet, heavy custard, or a NET juice.
  • With the DNAGo Orion use escribe to dial out unwanted behavior. No brainer here. You will get a decent vape on the Orion (except for a bit muted on flavor), but still a good vape and reasonably long lasting coils.
  • No 5 second pulls. It's not made for that even though it can do it, but the coils may not last long unless you have a very clear/neutral juice. Besides, if you pull on a Nord for even 3 seconds you will get a lot of vapor, probably not your idea of stealth vape anyway, but worth mentioning.
There are a lot of things that can be added to the list, but I think the meaning is clear. You are the biggest barrier to a reasonably performing pod system and you really need to sit back and take a look at what you can do to remedy the issues you are having that most aren't with an open mind to problem solving and give it another go. While the Nord isn't perfect, it just isn't as bad as you make it out to be. The only serious complaint I have with the Nord is the way the fire button sits proud of the mod body. I think this was clearly a bad design decision although it doesn't affect the quality of the vape. The number of complaints on the fire button is significant and valid.

So take off the historian hat and put on a engineering hat and work out the problem and you might find a solution exists if you give the problems a bit of considered thought.

Oh, geez. Thank you SO much for the vaping lesson oh great master.

Reactions: tdman77

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Oh, geez. Thank you SO much for the vaping lesson oh great master.

Attitude my friend. I really didn't mean to disrespect, just to get you to re-evaluate and look at the challenge as a problem solving puzzle. A puzzle that can be solved. But if you wish to disregard and ignore any help with this... that's OK. It's your problem and I'll just let you be if that's what makes you happy. No worries.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
VooPoo Rota (defective off the bat),

@brewdawg I'm interested in your ROTA experience. Mine's not stellar but its been working since day 1 on the same pod and still going strong after 6 weeks or so...it's not my style of vaping and the draw is never big enough but i just put up with it because heey it's a pod.

Any thoughts?

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
@brewdawg I'm interested in your ROTA experience. Mine's not stellar but its been working since day 1 on the same pod and still going strong after 6 weeks or so...it's not my style of vaping and the draw is never big enough but i just put up with it because heey it's a pod.

Any thoughts?
Wish I could be more help. Mine was so bad out of the box, that you can't even really take a hit off of it. Tried to press it together in a vice (didn't work at all), and thought about putting something in the gap to seal it, but thought it'd be better to throw it away. I'm not gonna buy pods from a company that has qc like that. Especially when they ignored me completely when I let them know. I won it, so it was free, and I wasn't complaining. But they followed up with me, asking me to post things at specific times, so that's when I told them. A shame, because I was excited to try a VooPoo device.
upload_2019-3-22_20-35-2.png
upload_2019-3-22_20-36-31.png
upload_2019-3-22_20-35-43.png

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My prefered rig for everyday vaping is an original Pico with RDA or Berserker mini, or a Pico Squeeze squonker with a Cthulu 1928 with squonk pin. These are the smallest setups that last me all day without recharging, very pocketable. But it's clumsy to carry a second one for backup and they aren't super stealthy.

Pod systems are an easy backup. The Minifit is unsurpassed for stealth. My pods get only a few puffs per week so little cost to operate. The taste is not as good because I mix a 36mg freebase just for the pods but I get my nic fix with fewer puffs.

Here is a Cthulu 1928 rda with squonk pin on a Pico Squeeze in a Pico silicone sleeve next to a Minifit. The Minifit can ride in a breast pocket and be completely concealed in my hand. I can vape the Minifit almost anywhere without trouble. Pods can't replace my traditional gear. I don't expect that.

2019-03-22 20.52.49.jpg

Last edited:

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
My prefered rig for everyday vaping is an original Pico with RDA or Berserker mini, or a Pico Squeeze squonker with a Cthulu 1928 with squonk pin. These are the smallest setups that last me all day without recharging, very pocketable. But it's clumsy to carry a second one for backup and they aren't super stealthy.

Pod systems are an easy backup. The Minifit is unsurpassed for stealth. My pods get only a few puffs per week so little cost to operate. The taste is not as good because I mix a 36mg freebase just for the pods but I get my nic fix with fewer puffs.

Here is a Cthulu 1928 rda with squonk pin on a Pico Squeeze in a Pico silicone sleeve next to a Minifit. The Minifit can ride in a breast pocket and be completely concealed in my hand. I can vape the Minifit almost anywhere without trouble. Pods can't replace my traditional gear. I don't expect that.

View attachment 804755
I agree ... I use a minifit as an easily pocketable backup. When I first got it I made sure it was up to the task by using one as a primary device for a couple days (no point having a backup that isn't up to it). So I leave the house with one of my squonkers on my hip and a minifit in my pocket.

How are you liking the 1928? I've finally ordered one and it just shipped from FT today, looking forward to trying it out.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I agree ... I use a minifit as an easily pocketable backup. When I first got it I made sure it was up to the task by using one as a primary device for a couple days (no point having a backup that isn't up to it). So I leave the house with one of my squonkers on my hip and a minifit in my pocket.

How are you liking the 1928? I've finally ordered one and it just shipped from FT today, looking forward to trying it out.
I've been using the Pico/Sv rda clone setup exclusively until recently. I've used the 1928 as an rda for several weeks but just got it on the Squeeze in the last few days. It's my first squonk setup because I wanted a Pico-sized squonk mod, with protection, AND an atty that wouldn't leak in my pocket. The combination is working as I hoped. I think the 1928 may not be ideal as a conventional rda but may be outstanding for squonking because of it's reistance to leaking. I think I'll be able to equal the vapor quality I get from the SV clone once I learn what coil to build. I've always used regulated mods and mostly in TC mode. I'm not experienced building for unregulated.

I like this reviewer, most of the time. He did a review of the 1928 and demonstrated it's leak resistance. He complains about some bead blasting issues but that has not effected me.

I like the 1928 enough to have several more on the way for the stockpile.

Reactions: jandrew

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

I haven't put that much thought into vaping since early 2012.

It's definitely not for me. I'll grab a small mod, that vapes how I want it to vape.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I haven't put that much thought into vaping since early 2012.

It's definitely not for me. I'll grab a small mod, that vapes how I want it to vape.

Me either. The answer to problems I have encountered have always been pretty clear and easy to fix if I wanted to fix them.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
I do most of my vaping with mods and RTAs and RDAs but I do have a need for a discreet vape so when the pods started coming out, I thought OH BOY!.

I started with the Vapeccino. Worked great when it worked but the pods went south after a few days and within a week of not a lot of use they tasted burnt. Pitched it after a couple months.

Got a Sourin Air. It worked great. Seemed to hit really well, good flavor and the pods lasted a while. But the Sourin Air is a cheap POS and they die after about 2 months. I went through 2 of them and my son had the same experience. Not buying any more of them.

Got talked into the Smok Nord. Works great for about 3 days and then the coils start tasting burnt. I should have known. Smok. Good unit with crappy coils. Can Smok make a good coil some day? Huh?

So I'm about done with the pods. I may give one more a try. Maybe. Can anybody recommend a pod that lasts, has good coils ( I prefer coils to replacing pods but am open to replacing refillable pods if they last a while.)

I don't want to keep throwing money away on crappy junk.
I like the Geekvape Flint. Some people are putting 22mm RTAs on them and using them for salts. You have to build over .8 for it to fire I believe. I have been using the tank that came with it and have no complaints. I do want to put my Hastur mini on it but it is built too low ATM.

Reactions: charlie1465

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Wish I could be more help. Mine was so bad out of the box, that you can't even really take a hit off of it. Tried to press it together in a vice (didn't work at all), and thought about putting something in the gap to seal it, but thought it'd be better to throw it away. I'm not gonna buy pods from a company that has qc like that. Especially when they ignored me completely when I let them know. I won it, so it was free, and I wasn't complaining. But they followed up with me, asking me to post things at specific times, so that's when I told them. A shame, because I was excited to try a VooPoo device.
View attachment 804741 View attachment 804745 View attachment 804743

@Brewdawg1181 I'm sorry you've had that experience...especially seeing as it was a prize and should have been a real pleasure :(

All I can say is don't give up on Voopoo totally. I have the drag 2, the Uforce tank, and the Rota. They all work flawlessly and are really well built. Time will tell on the longevity front :)
The genie chip is pretty good too.

I'm not experienced with pods at all and being a dl vapour they were a big change from my norms. I got the ROTA 1st (I think I may have got mine at the same time as you did) it was a freebie anyway, and then won the Vladdin. The draw on them both is tootle puffy and I use them as a constant daily along with my main dl mods/tanks so I guess they're getting less abuse than some. But the longevity of the pods has been both surprising and amazing both have had over 30ml of 36mg/ml diy nic salt through them and they are still going strong. Considering all I hear are things like ''my pod last 3 days'' or ''my pod takes 3 fills'' these are amazing...the only difference is my diy salts which don't have any coil gunking/sweetener ingredients.

I'm becoming a fan of them. Oh by the way Voopoo has just sent me their knew Finic Fish and I will be reviewing that soon when I've had a chance to test it out.

Happy vaping and thanks again for your thoughts :D

Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I'm all about my squonks. They solve everything I'd ever hated about tube mods & tanks. Easy to refill. No (or few) gurgling/spitting hits, because the bottle suckback drains the RDA. (which also means no/few coughing fits & juice mouth from spitback) They hold a good amount of juice. They produce the flavor burst that dripping always did, without dripping.

The only thing I dislike about squonk mods, is that they are typically fat box mods, & the damn RDA + driptip still stick out of my hands an inch taller than I'd like. If they manage to slim down squonk mods and make them shorter, I'll be smitten. Saw that VandyVape came out with an internal battery squonk mod that IS much smaller than their pulse mods... So I'm thinking about grabbing that.

I cant seem to get behind the pod vapes, because I hate the idea of being dependent on coilheads. I'd much rather screw a coil in & change cottons. Can get 2yrs worth of coils & cotton for 10 bucks. Can't say the same for coilheads.:2c:

Reactions: DPLongo22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread