DIY Master Techniques - Flavor Add-on's (EM, VW, BW, MTS, ACV, ect)

Status
Not open for further replies.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
I have been extracting my own flavors from pipe and cigar tobaccos, and Vape Wizard has been a good addition to all of my tobacco mixes. I think it works best with NET for taking a some of the "bitter" out of the extracts. I use 1 drop per 5ml and haven't needed to go higher, though I feel like I should just to see what happens. At any rate, good stuff for tobacco mixers.
A second must for me is EM at 1 drop per 2ml which helps the dryness of a couple tobacco flavors while adding some sweetness. Sucralose as mentioned should be added sparingly with a couple of days in between adding to check the flavor. I vaped some sweet liquid one evening before mixing a batch so I added enough sucralose to sweeten to my liking at the time, only to find that the same liquid 3 days later was so sweet it made my teeth burn. I overshot by a huge margin and diluting was not even viable at that point. Trash.
Besides that, my only other "must" is menthol which helps with TH and I'm just an overall menthol lover.

I have definitely taken a TON of great info from these forums and this is a great thread to add! Thanks for the help in taking the scary out of DIY!

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Anyone ever add salt (NaCl) to their juice? I haven't experimented with additives, but since salt is used in flavoring of almost everything else I find it conspicuously absent from this list.

One of the things I've learned from having an aquarium is that salt does not evaporate. My guess is that, since it really can't be vaporized, that it would just cake at the bottom of your tank and, even worse, continue to get more and more concentrated as your juice runs out. I'm voting ix-nay on the alt-say.

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Not really trying to flame, but since sucralose is poison (and tastes terrible anyway) wouldn't vaporizing it be bad?

Sucralose itself isn't poisonous, it's the heavy metals and arsenic that are used to refine it that are. I'd rather see Agave Nectar or even Stevia used instead, if such a thing is possible.

Chornbro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
VA/DC/MD Area
When it comes to Ethyl Maltol Crystals, do I just dissolve 1 ml of crystals to 9 ml of PG?

1 "ml" of crystals is about a gram... 1 gram dissolved in 9ml of PG or another liquid would yield a 10% EM solution. Dissolving a 1/4 teaspoon in 10ml would give you a solution less than 10% EM assuming that 1/4 teaspoon is about a gram.. in which case you're making ~9.1% EM solution.

Reactions: Mad Scientist

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
When it comes to Ethyl Maltol Crystals, do I just dissolve 1 ml of crystals to 9 ml of PG?

1 "ml" of crystals is about a gram... 1 gram dissolved in 9ml of PG or another liquid would yield a 10% EM solution. Dissolving a 1/4 teaspoon in 10ml would give you a solution less than 10% EM assuming that 1/4 teaspoon is about a gram.. in which case you're making ~9.1% EM solution.
most mix @ 1/4tsp of EM to 10ml of PG or PGA but, per Linda(TFA), 10% is equivalent to 8ml of PG or PGA + 1/4tsp of Ethyl Maltol Crystals.

Dave Kzoo

Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Hello everyone. I am in no way a master, but this is my compilation of what I've read thus far. Please feel free to correct me on %'s and anything that should be added. Furthermore, I have tried to give the OP's credit for their information; that being said I compiled this list from reviewers and members from this board, as well as the venders. I in no way came up with any of this on my own.

TA- Tobacco Absolute (ALC) (Contains EM)– You can buy this premade from TFA
1% in most tobaccos; makes it “pop”. It’s that “missing element”.

Purified Medical Inhalation Saline .5% – 1 drop per 10ml (Bakery and Tobaccos) Adds body and enhances juice. May add salty note.

EM = Ethyl Maltol – Crystals to liquid - 1/4 tsp. to 10 ml warm PG or PGA (Some say VG will work)
Tiny Bit (A fraction of 1% in your mix) - Gives a "body" to the vapor and may slightly reduce sharp notes.
A Bit (Close to 1% +/- in your mix) - As above but will take the edge off sharp notes and may very slightly sweeten.
A Bunch (1%-5% of your total mix) - As above plus sweeten
A Load (10%+ of your total mix) - Cotton Candy flavor (EM info written by Hoosier)

ACV= Apple Cider Vinegar – 1-2 drops per 5ml (Tobaccos)

Lemon Juice - 1-2 drop per 5 ml (Fruits)

Sour TFA – Malic Acid 20% solution. 1-2 drops per 10Ml Makes Fruits “pop”

Tart and Sour – (Citric and Malic Acid) 1-2 drops per 10Ml (Higher % creates Jolly Rancher-like effect) Makes fruits “pop”

Menthol – Crystals to liquid – 50/50 in PG or VG
Start a 2% (Some say 5%) – depends on how much you like menthol.
1 drop to 10ml brightens fruits with menthol actually tasted

Vape Wizard (MTS) More,Thicker,Smoother– .5-2% - Smooth’s things out, cuts down harshness, creates body. Can dull flavors, use sparingly. (Possibly Oakwood flavoring)-patkin
Hoosier says; “MTS Vape Wizard, aka VW. MTS is supposed to stand for More Thicker Smoother. It can help some mixes produce more vapor. (Some flavorings actually reduce vapor production) It can smooth or help blend flavors together. I use it in the 1 drop per 10ml to 1 drop per 3ml range, but usually start closer to the middle at 1 drop per 5ml to see if it will do a darn thing to the mix. Sometimes it seems to work wonders, but I've never had it make a mix worse”.

Bitter Wizard – .5-2% - 1 drop to 10ml - Removes sweetness, adds dryness. May hurt blend (start with small batch).
Hoosier says; “Bitter Wizard. This makes things bitter. Mostly useful for tobacco blends, but sometimes a bit of bitter will make things much more flavorful. Again 1 drop per 10ml to 1 drop per 2ml is a useful range. I usually start at the tiny 1 drop per 10ml and work up if it is needed”.

Magic Mask – .5-2% - Reduces acid perception without modifying PH. Adds mouthfeel.
Hoosier says; “Magic Mask. This is weird stuff and I find it is more likely to hurt the taste of a mix than to help it. It can take really sharp notes down and make them palatable. I usually start over if I have used this in a mix and it helps and always start over if I have used this in a mix and it makes it worse. It may work better for you than me. This is the last thing I ever try on a mix”.

Smooth - .5-2% - Rounds out any harsh edges, provide a thick mouthfeel, softens the high notes of your blend while boosting your background notes.

Sweetener’s - Sucralose (Most Common) – Better Stevia (Alternative – some say chemical taste) 1-2 Drops per 10 ml or 1% adds strength in flavor and sweetens greatly. (Remember; less is more, start small) – Mostly used in fruits, candy, and bakery flavors.

Other Sweetener Options – TFA Marshmallow- adds moistness and sweetens. TFA Molasses adds sweetness + a trace spice. TFA Brown Sugar Extra – adds sweetness. Some custards and Vanillas have also been used (Also known to brighten other flavors).

Ethyl Vanillin 10% Solution – Crystals to liquid – ¼ tsp to 10ml PG? Unsure
Great sweetener + Vanilla taste.

Caryophyllene Oxide TFA 1% PG – .5-1% - Adds a woody notes to tobaccos and mixes well with some fruits. - eikon

AP = Acetyl Pyrazine 10% soulution – .5-2% Adds a bready/nutty note (Can turn into Frito taste if overused) Use sparingly.

Aldehyde – L-14 Peach – TFA - Diluted to 1% - Use at .5-1% Be extremely careful with undiluted solution. Adds “a very dry, not sweet, peachy note” - eikon

TH= Throat hit - “Capella's Horchata, want2vape's Caramel #2” Also, some cinnamon’s. -

PGA= Pure Grain Alcohol (Everclear/151 Rum/Vodka - high proof) 1-2 drops per 5 ml = Throat Hit

Side Notes

Higher vg mixes 50%+; flavors are less intense – May require more flavor

70pg-30vg seems to be the commercial "norm".

Too much flavor will create flat taste…adding more flavor will most likely not “make it better”.

Steeping
Steeping is king of all “secrets”. Store the juice in a cool dark place. Shake it a couple times a day while steeping. If it has an alcohol additive; store it with the cap off for the first 24 hours. If it doesn’t taste good, check it a week later, if it still taste bad, check it a month later, if it’s still bad throw it in a cave and check it six months later…after that, it may be no good. Dispose of properly; DO NOT DUMP IT IN THE DRAIN! Nicotine is poison.

Last edited:

tdtyler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
Omaha, NE

Steeping
Steeping is king of all “secrets”. Store the juice in a cool dark place. Shake it a couple times a day while steeping. If it has an alcohol additive; store it with the cap off for the first 24 hours. If it doesn’t taste good, check it a week later, if it still taste bad, check it a month later, if it’s still bad throw it in a cave and check it six months later…after that, it may be no good. Dispose of properly; DO NOT DUMP IT IN THE DRAIN! Nicotine is poison.

Wow! Thanks, Dave. Your message is fantastic. You should bump it once in a while to make sure it doesn't get lost.

Reactions: DaveP

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Hello everyone. I am in no way a master, but this is my compilation of what I've read thus far. Please feel free to correct me on %'s and anything that should be added. Furthermore, I have tried to give the OP's credit for their information; that being said I compiled this list from reviewers and members from this board, as well as the venders. I in no way came up with any of this on my own.

Purified Medical Inhalation Saline .5% – 1 drop per 10ml (Bakery and Tobaccos) Adds body and enhances juice. May add salty note.

EM = Ethyl Maltol – Crystals to liquid - 1/4 tsp. to 10 ml warm PG or PGA (Some say VG will work)
Tiny Bit (A fraction of 1% in your mix) - Gives a "body" to the vapor and may slightly reduce sharp notes.
A Bit (Close to 1% +/- in your mix) - As above but will take the edge off sharp notes and may very slightly sweeten.
A Bunch (1%-5% of your total mix) - As above plus sweeten
A Load (10%+ of your total mix) - Cotton Candy flavor (EM info written by Hoosier)

ACV= Apple Cider Vinegar – 1-2 drops per 5ml (Tobaccos)

Lemon Juice - 1-2 drop per 5 ml (Fruits)

Sour TFA – Malic Acid 20% solution. 1-2 drops per 10Ml Makes Fruits “pop”

Tart and Sour – (Citric and Malic Acid) 1-2 drops per 10Ml (Higher % creates Jolly Rancher-like effect) Makes fruits “pop”

Menthol – Crystals to liquid – 50/50 in PG or VG
Start a 2% (Some say 5%) – depends on how much you like menthol.
1 drop to 10ml brightens fruits with menthol actually tasted

Vape Wizard (MTS) More,Thicker,Smoother– .5-2% - Smooth’s things out, cuts down harshness, creates body. Can dull flavors, use sparingly. (Possibly Oakwood flavoring)-patkin
Hoosier says; “MTS Vape Wizard, aka VW. MTS is supposed to stand for More Thicker Smoother. It can help some mixes produce more vapor. (Some flavorings actually reduce vapor production) It can smooth or help blend flavors together. I use it in the 1 drop per 10ml to 1 drop per 3ml range, but usually start closer to the middle at 1 drop per 5ml to see if it will do a darn thing to the mix. Sometimes it seems to work wonders, but I've never had it make a mix worse”.

Bitter Wizard – .5-2% - 1 drop to 10ml - Removes sweetness, adds dryness. May hurt blend (start with small batch).
Hoosier says; “Bitter Wizard. This makes things bitter. Mostly useful for tobacco blends, but sometimes a bit of bitter will make things much more flavorful. Again 1 drop per 10ml to 1 drop per 2ml is a useful range. I usually start at the tiny 1 drop per 10ml and work up if it is needed”.

Magic Mask – .5-2% - Reduces acid perception without modifying PH. Adds mouthfeel.
Hoosier says; “Magic Mask. This is weird stuff and I find it is more likely to hurt the taste of a mix than to help it. It can take really sharp notes down and make them palatable. I usually start over if I have used this in a mix and it helps and always start over if I have used this in a mix and it makes it worse. It may work better for you than me. This is the last thing I ever try on a mix”.

Smooth - .5-2% - Rounds out any harsh edges, provide a thick mouthfeel, softens the high notes of your blend while boosting your background notes.

Sweetener’s - Sucralose (Most Common) – Better Stevia (Alternative – some say chemical taste) 1-2 Drops per 10 ml or 1% adds strength in flavor and sweetens greatly. (Remember; less is more, start small) – Mostly used in fruits, candy, and bakery flavors.

Other Sweetener Options – TFA Marshmallow- adds moistness and sweetens. TFA Molasses adds sweetness + a trace spice. TFA Brown Sugar Extra – adds sweetness. Some custards and Vanillas have also been used (Also known to brighten other flavors).

Ethyl Vanillin 10% Solution – Crystals to liquid – ¼ tsp to 10ml PG? Unsure
Great sweetener + Vanilla taste.

Caryophyllene Oxide TFA 1% PG – .5-1% - Adds a woody notes to tobaccos and mixes well with some fruits. - eikon

AP = Acetyl Pyrazine 10% soulution – .5-2% Adds a bready/nutty note (Can turn into Frito taste if overused) Use sparingly.

Aldehyde – L-14 Peach – TFA - Diluted to 1% - Use at .5-1% Be extremely careful with undiluted solution. Adds “a very dry, not sweet, peachy note” - eikon

TH= Throat hit - “Capella's Horchata, want2vape's Caramel #2” Also, some cinnamon’s. -

PGA= Pure Grain Alcohol (Everclear/151 Rum/Vodka - high proof) 1-2 drops per 5 ml = Throat Hit

Side Notes

Higher vg mixes 50%+; flavors are less intense – May require more flavor

70pg-30vg seems to be the commercial "norm".

Too much flavor will create flat taste…adding more flavor will most likely not “make it better”.

Steeping

fantastic compilation!
i will add that strong citrus flavorings can add TH as well. Mtn Dew, LemonLime, Ecto Cooler, etc.

also TMP - trimethyl pyrizine - can be added. it adds a dry nutty vibe. small %. i use 1 drop per 5-10ml.

Question: where can Smooth be purchased...is this it?
Smooth by Signature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread