Do It Yourself Naturally Extracted Tobaccos Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Looking at some Daughters' and Ryan blends,

I’ve tried a few and found them to be worthy of the patronage. I pulled this list out of my NET notes section; a list of *macerated and [yet to be macerated]. The description below the listed tobacco is a copy and paste from the vendor.

I really haven’t found a D&R that wasn’t worth the effort to extract. However, the first tobacco listed below is my absolute favorite. My “ready to mix” extract bottle is never empty on that one.

*Picayune

Burley
Oriental
Perique
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

A full bodied blend of exceptional dark air-cured and the finest flue-cured Gold Leaf tobaccos. Combined with a rare and flavorful Perique and Samsoun Oriental tobacco.

[Rowland Regular]

Burley
Oriental
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Rowland is a blend of smooth and mellow tobaccos particularly suited to American tastes. It utilizes sweet Virginias, nutty, earthy Burleys and flavorful Orientals in various combinations for mildness and a variety of flavors. Rowland Regular uses Burley, Virginia and Oriental tobaccos for an easy-smoking but flavorful American-style mixture.

*Ryback Regular

Burley
Dark Fired Kentucky
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

This Ryback blend is fine cut tobaccos using dark-fired leaf for bold flavor and rich body; very reminiscent of some Dutch-style tobaccos. Ryback Regular is a hearty and robust shag cut, utilizing the bold flavor and body of dark-fired leaf.

[Two Timer Gold]

Burley
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Two Timer’s nutty flavor comes from its core component- a specially processed, double-toasted Burley with a smooth, naturally sweet flavor, but plenty of body. Two Timer Gold uses toasted Burley and adds golden Virginias to add a bit of brightness and sweetness.

[Windsail Regular]

Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

The Windsail line of tobaccos use the finest grades of one of the most versatile and widely used types of leaf- sweet and velvety flue-cured Virginias. Windsail Regular is a naturally sweet selection of golden Virginia; tasty and smooth.

*Cockstrong

Burley
Oriental
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

A full bodied, traditional American blend with a robust taste. This flavorful blend contains exotic air-cured Burley, flue-cured Gold Leaf and Oriental tobaccos from around the world

*Ramback Balkan

Oriental
Turkish
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Ramback tobaccos are highlighted by the use of hearty and fragrant Turkish leaf, expertly blended for balance and richness. Try the exotic flavor of these hard-to-find tobaccos and see why Ramback is so popular. Ramback Balkan is a mixture of Balkan Oriental and Balkan Virginia leaves, with Yenidje and Basma tobaccos added for a tangy, spicy note.

*Rimboche S.J.

Perique
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Rimboche S.J. (Saint James)is a Flue-Cured Virginia Gold Leaf based tobacco with the addition of rare, true St. James Perique; smooth, yet flavorful.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Found your all day NET yet?

After 4 years and 68 macerations later, it might be possible for me. Solani ~ Aged Burley Flake is the ticket. No matter what, I always come back to this NET.

Dunhill ~ Royal Yacht is a close second. I’ve got enough cellared to make one more 150ml extract batch. Then... I’m going take the plunge on the Peterson brand; hope I’m not disappointed.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Discussed using one of our crock pots with Mamaw. When she found out that I was intending to use one for tobacco extraction, she was not happy.
"What's wrong with the way you are already doing that ?" she asked.

Her kitchen. And as well as she cooks, I am content to just let it go, and stay with cold maceration.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Mamaw.... was not happy.

Oh dear! I think you have something there with just letting things be with her kitchen tools!

I picked up a small $10 rice cooker at the Salvation Army Thrift Store a couple of years back; works like a champ, for that warm, heat bump start maceration. It dials in at 115 to 125 degrees F when it is in the “Warm” position.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Found your all day NET yet?

After 4 years and 68 macerations later, it might be possible for me. Solani ~ Aged Burley Flake is the ticket. No matter what, I always come back to this NET.

Dunhill ~ Royal Yacht is a close second. I’ve got enough cellared to make one more 150ml extract batch. Then... I’m going take the plunge on the Peterson brand; hope I’m not disappointed.

If I vape the same flavor, I will begin to lose my ability to taste it. This is why I always have at least two mods going.

Decatur Black Cherry, H&H Louisiana Red, H&H Virginia Spice, Scotty's Honey and Chocolate, Peter Stokkebye's 84 Turkish are my repeat orders.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I currently use an inexpensive (Rival) crock pot that is plugged into a digital temperature controller. I set the temperature on the controller and it cycles the crock pot on and off to maintain the set temperature +- about 3 degrees. The crock pot is big enough to contain four pint size canning jars and the lid still fit properly which significantly reduces the amount of water lost during the extraction (I never need to add extra water during the extraction). Cleanup is easy since nothing but water comes in contact with the crock pot. Once clean and dry I store the temperature controller inside the crock pot.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
I always have at least two mods going.

I’m quite prone to that tendency as well. However, when I’m out and about at my employ, typically I’m limited to carrying one 5ml tank full of something all day long; thus, I had to locate an ADV.

nothing but water comes in contact with the crock pot

Concerning my little rice cooker... I found that using dry white rice or very small dry beans in the cooker, instead of water, works very nice. I was always a little concerned about water contamination during the heated maceration process, so, I just found something else which would distribute the heat similar to water.

The rice concept also works well for warming small batch (15/30 ml) mix sessions; pre-froth or shake mixing. Pop some dry rice in a large mug, sling it in the microwave for 30 to 45 second to warm it up, and then wedge your beaker or bottle into the warm dry rice once it’s out of the microwave. In about a minute, the contents are nice and fluid... ready for easy shaking or your froth mixer.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
86DAA491-4E23-4A96-9685-FFEDEDF4FC35.jpeg
anyone ever tried Suliff's....

I know everyone’s tastebuds are different... I get that. But, no matter the Sutliff variations I’ve extracted, they all come out... Meh. Maybe, it’s the fact that I’m a non-aromatic kinda guy. I’m happy that folks enjoy what they enjoy... that’s cool. I just steer clear of Sutliff tobaccos.

I have extracted the Deception Pass (manufactured via Sutliff). Again, it wasn’t for me. However, my wife LOVES it... and that makes me happy! I produce a NET hybrid for her that she can’t be without. I take the attached recipe and add equal amounts of Deception Pass (at a 15% mix ratio)... I’m required to have that on hand at all times!

Additional Sutliff tobaccos extracted:

Sunset Rum
African Queen
Rum & Maple
VooDoo Queen
Molto Dolce
Vanilla Royale

Last edited:
Reactions: Doffy

Robbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    I’m a fan of pipe smoking and I have a few pounds that’s been aging for years.
    I use HHV tobacco juices it’s the only juice that satisfies cravings for organic tobacco taste.Sweet and earthy.
    It has an organic root earthy taste that has to be tried to understand.
    I can get 95% pga in my state and have mason jars.
    Is heat the best way to extract flavors and does nicotine come out with alcohol?
    The vape shop said nicotine is water soluble so pga should dissolve it also.
    Does heat destroy nicotine?
    I’m going to perhaps try extracting some pipe tobacco flavors.
    What is a starting point?
    Slow cold soak or fast heat extraction?

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    First, there is plenty off information in this forum. Maybe try starting here....

Thoughts on Beginning to Extract Tobacco Flavors

I think most using PGA/VG are mixing 50% to 75% PGA. @Str8vision knows quite a bit about this method.
    Maybe heat around 140*F for 12 hours, but carefully monitor the heat. I don't think you want to approach 170*F.
    Read some of the threads here to find out more about extraction and filtration.
    Good Luck.

Reactions: Robbert

Rickb119

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 20, 2013
    Greeley, CO, USA
    I haven't been active here for quite some time and not sure where to post this, but here goes anyhow.

I've been making and vaping NET's for a few years now, and love them. However, I've decided to abandon the effort, due to a couple of reasons.

Rather than simply dumping them down the drain, I'd rather give them to someone who would enjoy them. I have around 6L made, at 10% extract. All are 6mg/ml (Vapers Tek) and either 70/30 or 60/40. (It would be simple to add more nicotine if you vape at a higher strength.) I also have enough extract to make another 6L. I used the Alcohol heat extraction process, strained and coffee filtered, and freeze filtered with a 2 micron filter.

Flavors are, Old Joe, Virginia Flake, Dunhill Elizabethan, Mississippi River, Mississippi Mud, LA Red, Ryunjin, Virginia Spice, and one or two others.

If anyone in the Denver to Northern Colorado area would like these, send me a PM. I also get to the Springs from time to time and will be there sometime next month.

Reactions: Blitzdonlife

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    Has anyone tried using Dunhill light flake in an extraction?
    I have a pound of some Virginia strips that is very close in flavor to Dunhill light flake.
    It’s on the light side so I don’t know if it would be a good choice for first extraction.
    I have materials ready and have about 15 blends to choose from.
    If I just wanted to be able to taste the tobacco in my first extraction what type of pipe tobacco is mostly used?
    I didn’t want to start experimenting with different blends until I get a few successful extractions done.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Well now... my wife likes RY4 and she likes cinnamon... hmmm?!? I might have to create another “can’t do with out it” hybrid mix for her.
    Just wanted to mention (FA) Cinnamon Ceylon is nice... not too strong and just "spice" flavor instead of "red-hots"

Reactions: nostradadus
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread