Slow Cooker Extraction of Tobacco and Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
It seems OP was just about right on the money!

Heat maceration taste test

C1 series 50/50 pg/vg , 8 pipe blends , 2 ryo's and one blend of captain black with a generic black cavendish at a 50/50 ratio of concentrate.

I ran 7 flavors for taste tests among some friends and decided to call it in.

3 bottles of each flavor mixed at 20%, the first bottle was concentrate pulled immediately after the heat maceration (no extra time) , one bottle was made of concentrate that had been allowed to sit at room temperature for one week after the initial heating, final bottle 2 weeks.

the captain black / black cavendish had 4/5 of volunteers choose the 2 week hands down. One volunteer couldn't decide between the 2 and 1 week.

Imported whiskey - (imported + domestic tobaccos and scottish whiskey) 4 chose the 2 week maceration and one person prefferd the concentrate that had been pulled immediately after heating.

baja blend - (burley and virginia with green river black cavendish) - completely inverted! , some extra folks walked into the b&m and took part, 5 participants chose the baja that had not been left any longer than the initial 24 hour heating. 2 chose the 2 week, no one prefferd the 1 week.

captain black - one preferred no time, one preferred one week and 3 chose the 2 week.

Prescott valley vanilla- (burley and virginia with black cavendish) , 5/5 chose the 2 week.

Ryo1 - 2 chose 1 week, 3 chose 2 week.

ryo2 - another outlier, 3 chose the 1 week, one chose 2 week, one chose no extra time (heat only)

I had freshly ground coffee in a jar for the volunteers to sniff in between tasting, testing was done with participants blind to the age of what they tasted, using mech mods running duel coils at .3 ohm with japanese cotton.

I saw enough preference with the pipe tobaccos for 2 weeks to conclude that this should serve as a decent baseline (IMO) for heat maceration. I left a number of sample bottles with the shopkeep and mixed the remaining 0 day and 7 day samples back into the main batch of concentrate (which I am now micron filtering, before testing I had simply ran it through an aeropress)

A note on that, I have 2.5 micron and 10 micron, I should have used the 10 first and then the 2.5, the filtering is down to a drop every 5 seconds on some of these. The hand pump I purchased in basically useless, If anyone knows how to setup a buchner funnel and flask with a vacuum pump machine pm me.

I'll probably get to the PGA extracts next week (taste test wise, the concentrates are in my freezer), I also started 2 more batches last week, series D1, one set of 6 will be

left in the slow cooker for 6 hours allowed to cool to room temperature and then put back

for another 6 hours, the second set 12 hours straight, these will then be allowed to steap

at room temperature. 1 oz tobacco mixed with 100ml pg (per boomerdudes

recommendation...actually he said 80 but I round up) We have

sedona - golden virginias, rich burleys and smooth black cavendish with creamy vanilla

bisbee - vanilla burley, virginia and green river tobaccos

black velvet - fire cured cavendish, with vanilla, chocolate and whiskey

prickley pear - aged american burley, flue cured virginias topped with cognac

the prescott valley vanilla and

the baja blend

~Signing off~

Nanu Nanu

Post Script : I'm waiting on a large shipment of bottles but if anyones interested in trying one of these just let me know.

Influence

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2014
France
24 hour heating

Even if I like full flavors tobaccos and full flavor e-liquids in general, when I've start making my first maceration 12 hours heating was far too much for the final result
At the end of the 12 hours, all the 4 or 5 extracts got the same very dark blackish color and quite similar taste. For me it was not a successful process.
Depending on the tobacco mixture (pipe or ryo's), I don't heat more than 6 to 8 hours and that's plenty to get a nice clear flavor with subtle tobacco flavor. I usually give now an additional cold maceration week after the heat
Cigars needs longer heating, 48 hours seems to be a good average consensus to me...

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
This is really cool. My only question is, are pipe tobaccos treated anything like cigarette tobacco. Meaning are they laced with thousands of chemicals. Thats something I really dont want to be inhaling.
I don't think any tobacco is "laced" with thousands of chemicals. Tobacco smoke contains thousands of chemicals but I'm willing to bet that the smoke of any kind of plant matter probably contains that number of different compounds, even the ones grown with the greatest of care.

Any of the flavored pipe tobaccos have to have something added to them. I've yet to come across a natural tobacco that tastes like rum, cherry or french vanilla.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Yes but cigarette tobacco with the exception of higher quality ones such as dunhill or american spirit uses the dried remnants that fall off the conveyor belts and loads of chemical preservatives.
I dropped a bit of tobacco last time I was getting ready to do an extraction. Was I wrong in scooping it up and droping it in the jar?

Both PG and VG are chemical preservatives. We're doomed!

Here is a thread on a pipe tobacco forum with people complaining about PG:

preservatives on tobacco?

At least by the end of it cooler heads prevailed.

A cavendish just has "flavorings" added (casings)
Flavorings are chemicals and they make up part of the list that ANTZ use to fearmonger about smoking.

Last edited:

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
The question wasn't about insecticides.
Touche. "No additives does not mean a safer cigarette."

We're kind of splitting hairs here as the base of what we vape is one of the preservatives used in tobacco. Heres a cheeky article listing everything in rj reynolds smokes.

http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/01/rj-reynolds-publishes-cigarette.html?m=1

I'd say in response to poobaca that you might have increased TSNA's (tobacco specific nitrosamines) compared to an artificial tobacco flavor but you've still avoided a large share of avoidable adulterants.

Last edited by a moderator:

poobaca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
new york
Touche. "No additives does not mean a safer cigarette."

We're kind of splitting hairs here as the base of what we vape is one of the preservatives used in tobacco. Heres a cheeky article listing everything in rj reynolds smokes.

http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/01/rj-reynolds-publishes-cigarette.html?m=1

I'd say in response to poobaca that you might have increased TSNA's (tobacco specific nitrosamines) compared to an artificial tobacco flavor but you've still avoided a large share of avoidable adulterants.

Cool thanks for the info. Cant wait to try this. I saw your post where it seems you did a pretty extensive list of tobaccos. In your opinion how do they flavored ones transfer to a finished product. Does the flavor carry through well or ruin it? Saw some CAO pipe tobaccos that sound pretty damned delicious.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
We're kind of splitting hairs here as the base of what we vape is one of the preservatives used in tobacco.
That's my point. Why use the biased info put out by ANTZ to demonize tobacco?

I don't see the logic in this statement. Who says that pipe tobacco doesn't have adjuncts to keep a certain flavor profile? And as it is noted in the blog you linked:
the one ingredient in the cigarettes which makes them the most hazardous consumer product on the market is ... the tobacco.

patioclark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Lafayette, CO USA
I just put down my second attempt at extractions. Cigars again and I've got a Rocky Patel Autumn 2008 (came out really well the first time), a Camacho Liberty 2013 Limited Edition (a numbered cigar!), a Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage (hoping to get close to Bill's extraction), and an Undercrown Ligero (one of my favorite analog smokes).

This go around I spent more time cutting them up to make sure they are about like a pipe tobacco consistency. Each was around 5/8 ounce and have around 125 ml of a 65/35 PG/VG over them, just enough to cover in a sealed mason jar. I put them in the slow cooker on low which hit around 175 degrees briefly and then down to warm which runs around 150. I'm going to try cycling on and off for 12 hours each over three days and then let them sit for two weeks. The Aeropress seems to work for me and I'll do a double coffee filter first and then a 2.5 micron lab for the final filtering. I'm not scientific at all on this and don't have a base to compare the process to, but it seems a logical compilation of people's experiences on this forum.

It's funny how my first batch of four really only produced the Autumn Reserve as one I go back to. Other cigars that I enjoyed smoking just really didn't produce a nice extract and I find myself trying to doctor them up with Wizard Vape, EM, and even menthol. I'm pretty sure the next step is the bin with those.

To those of you doing Pipe extractions, are there any differences in a pipe vs. a cigar extraction in your opinions? I'd like to try those next.

I'm mostly vaping my NETs on an Erlkonigin clone these days. The flavor is pronounced and I like these atty's. I do have to rewick after a full 6ml tank but it's pretty quick and worth it.

MikeNice81

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2014
NC
There is a huge difference in the way pipes and cigars are processed. It is two separate worlds. With cigar vapes let the final mixed juice sit a month and steep. Then come back and see what you think. I've also found that cigar macerations are much more sensitive to over heating. I would suggest about two or three hours at around 120 degrees and then about a 40 - 45 day soak at room temperature.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
To those of you doing Pipe extractions, are there any differences in a pipe vs. a cigar extraction in your opinions?

Yes, major differences, mainly in that pipe tobaccos extract into the solvent more quickly, more easily, and more fully. Cigars take considerably more time and baby-sitting.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Anyone know what temps their slow cookers are reaching. I have a rice cooker that has a warm setting, I wonder if that will suffice.

Whatever we report may not apply to your particular rice cooker. The only way to know is to measure with a oven thermometer or temp gun.

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
So the aromatics came through great but the more subtle blends seem "wanting" , even the aromatics however pale in comparison to commercial NET's . I'm thinking 2 weeks post heat steep was a premature time to pull the tobacco , what say you elder diy'ers? a full 4 weeks?

I have tons of supplies coming in so I'm also going to play around with longer heating times at lower temperatures (an initial 6 hours of the "heat" setting and then 72, 96 and 120 hours of "warm" consecutively) , i'll be using some pipe blends from a local smoke shop that I used back in my early college days when I was poor :)

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I heat the solvent to 150F, usually 80-100 mls. Then I add 1 oz. of tobacco and turn off the heat. Once a week I re-heat to 150F and when it reaches temperature I turn off the heat and stir. Most aromatics I do 4 weeks. Non-aromatics 5 weeks and Cigars 6 weeks. This method, I feel, gives me the most flavorful extract I'm going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread