Do people judge you for vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanVapes13

Aug 25, 2021
Some of my friends are avid smokers. Some smoke weed some smoke cigarettes but everyone I know kind of looks down on vaping. I’ve had some people tell me that vaping will give me lung cancer and they would prefer if I just went back to smoking cigarettes. I really don’t care about any of this because I’m use to it. But I want to know what your experiences with this are

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
First of all your buddies have it all upside down, because vaping decreases the risk of lung cancer compared to smoking significantly.

Now back to your question.
I generally give a f**k about what other people prefer, but luckily here in Germany vaping is much more accepted than in the US for example, so I never ever got that stupid advice to go back to smoking from anyone.
If you'd wander through a crowded downtown blowing clouds like a madman however, people won't be all too amused for sure.
But that's more because you'd be highly disrespectful towards everyone else.
Your freedom ends when the freedom of others is concerned.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    First of all your buddies have it all upside down, because vaping decreases the risk of lung cancer compared to smoking significantly.

I generally give a f**k about what other people prefer, but luckily here in Germany vaping is much more accepted than in the US for example, so I never ever got that stupid advice to go back to smoking from anyone.
    If you'd wander through a crowded downtown blowing clouds like a madman however, people won't be all too amused for sure.

I agree with everything you said right up to the last sentence. The USA and some states within it are not the bastions of freedom and liberty they were back in the 60's but I'd like to think that your freedom does not end when the freedom of others is concerned.

Just don't aggravate the people around you when you vape. You want all others on your side.

JordanVapes13

Aug 25, 2021
    Oh yeah for sure. I hate when people tell me that and I try to tell them the opposite is true but for some reason they see vaping as worse. and I totally agree, it’s okay to vape but be respectful don’t go into a bar, or downtown or whatever and blow big clouds where other people might get offended. Be respectful about it and don’t bother other people.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Uaually in my country the older people are oldschool and may tell me stuff like that but i always see it a fun way cause i understand some uneducated elders find it hard to understand things...

From people my age very rarely i hear that vaping is worst than cigarettes or any other silly thing and if i do is usually people kinda dumb to be honest so i wont even bother try explain to them anymore...
    Thankfully lately i havent heard anything bad...not that i care but maybe if people open their mind they save their life also :D

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    ..I'd like to think that your freedom does not end when the freedom of others is concerned.
    Sure. If you play strictly by the rules, you still have the right to blow ridiculous clouds wherever vaping/smoking is generally allowed. This is your freedom.
    But if you start to p**s off enough people by cutting into their freedom to live without annoying vapers, your freedom to behave like an a***ole will end. Sooner or later. Annoy enough people, and the rules will change. Most probably not in your favor.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    We have a smoke shack at work, a fenced in area with an awning and a couple benches.
    I'm out there vaping with one other person and a few smokers, and our 60 year old HR lady comes out, lights up, and croaks at me angrily with a scowl on her face, "Those things will kill you quicker than cigarettes, you know!" Snide.
    I couldn't hold back and started calmly (barely) telling her some facts and common sense about vaping e-liquid vs. smoking cigarettes.
    She wasn't listening and turned towards a woman she came outside with talking about how bad e-cigs are, so I stopped and walked a few feet away.
    When I say she croaked at me, I mean it, she probably already had cancer. Black lung for sure.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Last time I was judged the scenery looked similar to this. It wasn't very pleasant.
    How-to-Avoid-Pissing-off-a-Family-Judge-in-California-.jpg

These days I avoid all judgemental peeps.

thanswr1

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2017
    I see it as an opportunity to tell them I didn't ask for their opinion and keep said opinion to themselves.

The problems today are no one can mind their own business and their "facts" are either sourced from their rear ends or from some propoganda ad/article.

And at 66 years old, I don't feel the need to answer to anyone about my personal habits.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Some of my friends are avid smokers. Some smoke weed some smoke cigarettes but everyone I know kind of looks down on vaping. I’ve had some people tell me that vaping will give me lung cancer and they would prefer if I just went back to smoking cigarettes. I really don’t care about any of this because I’m use to it. But I want to know what your experiences with this are

To use a phrase from a now politically incorrect movie, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".

Detroit Doug

ECF Veteran
    Oct 18, 2015
    Detroit
    We have a smoke shack at work, a fenced in area with an awning and a couple benches.
    I'm out there vaping with one other person and a few smokers, and our 60 year old HR lady comes out, lights up, and croaks at me angrily with a scowl on her face, "Those things will kill you quicker than cigarettes, you know!" Snide.
    I couldn't hold back and started calmly (barely) telling her some facts and common sense about vaping e-liquid vs. smoking cigarettes.
    She wasn't listening and turned towards a woman she came outside with talking about how bad e-cigs are, so I stopped and walked a few feet away.
    When I say she croaked at me, I mean it, she probably already had cancer. Black lung for sure.

I was outside at work one day, enjoying my vape break, when the safety director for our airline walked out, on the way to his car. He walked up to me and said, 'You know those things blow up, don't you?'

Which begged a return question from me, 'Then why are you standing so close to me?'

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I was vaping at an outdoor concert and didn't know vaping in the park wasn't allowed. Woman sitting near me started on her speech and I quickly tried to educate her. She turned me in and I was told I couldn't vape in the park so I left.

Funny thing was the fog machine was cranking out the vapor and everyone was inhaling it, having a great time with the band and never for a moment saw the correlation to vaping.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I was vaping at an outdoor concert and didn't know vaping in the park wasn't allowed. Woman sitting near me started on her speech and I quickly tried to educate her. She turned me in and I was told I couldn't vape in the park so I left.

Funny thing was the fog machine was cranking out the vapor and everyone was inhaling it, having a great time with the band and never for a moment saw the correlation to vaping.

Interesting observation about the fog machine and how oblivious they are about their ignorance.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    It's all down to propaganda. A couple of years ago when the UK tabloids tried their hardest to demonise vaping i got a couple of snidey remarks. Since then vaping has been vindicated and actively encouraged by the UK government and the health service. Some people (who choose to believe whatever suits their thinking or the ignorant) will refer back to the scare stories but most accept that it's a better alternative to smoking...
    Unfortunately it would appear that in the US the demonisation of vaping is still a priority for the government. The media follows the party line because, for some reason, it suits them to do so at this time. Again, people choose which lies best fit their view. No-one actually cares about vaping - it's just another means to feel superior or justify an agenda.
    I sincerely hope that sanity will eventually prevail for all my US cousins.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread