Some people need to learn more about vaping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
Who cares? When it comes to people's perception of what I do, I don't care if they listen to Dr Suess.
I wish the FDA would dig a little deeper for solid research, but I don't expect anyone else to.
Dr. Sues would be ok with vaping, he had a very dark side that would surprise a lot of people.;)

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Went away with my whole family for the weekend for my grandmothers birthday. I pulled my vape out and my cousin asked what it was, so I told her. Then my aunt , and grandmother proceeded to say “ oh vaping is no better for you than smoking cigarettes do you think it’s safer or better for you cause it’s not“ “ it doesn’t help you quit smoking “ . Just makes me mad how misinformed people are because of the bulls*** they see on cnn and Facebook or tv. It’s getting kind or ridiculous. Sad to see people would rather have friends or loved one smoke cigarettes because vaping is just as “ bad “ as stinkies.

Next time someone starts talking crap about vaping, take a folding chair and beat them with it. That will show them you are not to be messed with...wait. Sorry, that's what you are supposed to do the first day in prison. My bad.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Who cares? When it comes to people's perception of what I do, I don't care if they listen to Dr Suess.
I wish the FDA would dig a little deeper for solid research, but I don't expect anyone else to.

Dr. Sues would be ok with vaping, he had a very dark side that would surprise a lot of people.;)

Madame Meghan et al notwithstanding, I shall proceed into the wilds of Halloween wearing my Kat in a hat costumie. And I shall apologize to no one and shall opine the benies of vape to anyone and everyone who will listen. If I get the "OH NO, IT'S STILL SMOKING!!!!!" rhetoric, I'll go on my merry way and dance the nite away as planned. ;)

And wodka.... lots. :D

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Two weeks ago, I was on holiday in Italy. At a restaurant with a bunch of acquaintances, at one time a smoking party forms and walk outside, I join them.
Once outside, everybody lit up a cigarette, I pull my vape - Therion 75c with a Triton mini - and I got told by one of the smokers, "That thing is worse than cigarettes for you".
I am always open at different opinions, but I was at discomfort due to how abrupt and strong was.
So I reacted on the verge of impoliteness, "It is not true", I said in a very dry manner, and kept vaping in silence.

Some other time I try to explain how public opinion has been twarted by media, just for people to react badly for having associated them to a general trend; everybody feel absolutely unique.
What to say. Unicuique suum...

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Every conversation about it requires an individual approach if your aim is to have a meaningful discussion. But more and more Im becoming plain dismissive and just moving on.
Life is pretty short.
Some/most people are not worth the time and effort to discuss vaping with, there is no point or worthwhile reason to bother.
If someone asks me about vaping from a genuinely open and inquisitive point of view I will enter in to it and share the positive aspects of quitting smoking and how vaping helped and if theyre really curious after that I might offer them a set up and some juice to try for a few weeks so they can see if its something that might work for them.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
The last 2 decades have confused me deeply.

On the one hand, "information" as a public good, after having been a sparse resource and a partisan privilege throughout human history, is now available to (almost) everyone on the planet. If you want to be informed about a topic, you can freely and correctly inform yourself about it - it's the 1 big thing that the internet has changed for all of us.

But at the same, it has also become clear that "willful ignorance" is so omni-present that it is probably part of the human condition itself.

Once you've been part of a people who're intimately familiar with a particular topic, and you've witnessed deliberate misinformation campaigns by media and politics, and the greater public consequently holding on to false beliefs about that topic in a remarkably stubborn manner, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that most people (including myself) are not just unknowing, but wildly ignorant or deluded about most issues. And while we're somewhat semi-conscious of this circumstance, we don't really do anything about it. Plus, with the ever-growing amount of things-to-know out there, that problem is only going to get worse.

That makes me wonder what kind of future lies ahead of us. Maybe this is even a part of the "Great Filter" which futurologists are suspecting could lead to our demise as a species.

In any case, "may we live in interesting times".

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The last 2 decades have confused me deeply.

On the one hand, "information" as a public good, after having been a sparse resource and a partisan privilege throughout human history, is now available to (almost) everyone on the planet. If you want to be informed about a topic, you can freely and correctly inform yourself about it - it's the 1 big thing that the internet has changed for all of us.

But at the same, it has also become clear that "willful ignorance" is so omni-present that it is probably part of the human condition itself.

Once you've been part of a people who're intimately familiar with a particular topic, and you've witnessed deliberate misinformation campaigns by media and politics, and the greater public consequently holding on to false beliefs about that topic in a remarkably stubborn manner, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that most people (including myself) are not just unknowing, but wildly ignorant or deluded about most issues. And while we're somewhat semi-conscious of this circumstance, we don't really do anything about it. Plus, with the ever-growing amount of things-to-know out there, that problem is only going to get worse.

That makes me wonder what kind of future lies ahead of us. Maybe this is even a part of the "Great Filter" which futurologists are suspecting could lead to our demise as a species.

In any case, "may we live in interesting times".
upload_2018-10-28_5-45-47.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I thought it was microwaves stripping each and every micron of vitamins from the food? LOL. My dad said they experimented using microwaves for heat and that the technology only worked when everyone was naked. Something to do with the clothes getting in the way of agitating the cells in your body, causing heat.

The man was a PhD scientist, but he also had a habit of coming out with little "explanations" like that, total bull and all. I never researched it because it sounded sketchy and more fun to play along anyway.

I am watching, and learning, about the various ways to approach the "Vape is worse than mace in your face crowd, though." Always good to have many stratagems.

Anna

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
He he he... I used to smoke but now i've found this product that is so much more harmful than smoking. Vape.
All real men (and women if they so wish) should switch and embrace the daredevil. Popcorn lung, exploding batteries, poison ingredients, drip tips made of kitten ears...
When anyone comes out with the 'worse than cigarettes' line i have to ask myself "does this person think i'm an idiot" ?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I thought it was microwaves stripping each and every micron of vitamins from the food? LOL. My dad said they experimented using microwaves for heat and that the technology only worked when everyone was naked. Something to do with the clothes getting in the way of agitating the cells in your body, causing heat.

The man was a PhD scientist, but he also had a habit of coming out with little "explanations" like that, total bull and all. I never researched it because it sounded sketchy and more fun to play along anyway.

I am watching, and learning, about the various ways to approach the "Vape is worse than mace in your face crowd, though." Always good to have many stratagems.

Anna
So was mine. He’s where I got my questionable sense of humor. His profanity though was always remarkably inventive

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
During a recent work physical the doctor noticed my vape hanging from my neck and growled about it being worse than cigs.

Would there be a point even attempting to educate someone that full of theirself? I just shout my head.

I couldn't have passed up the chance to ask him, "Would you rather I went back to smoking?". My doctor has been fine with my vaping since 2009. As long as I don't use combustible tobacco he's happy. I'd look around for a vape friendly doctor who agrees that it's a benign activity for a former smoker..

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I couldn't have passed up the chance to ask him, "Would you rather I went back to smoking?". My doctor has been fine with my vaping since 2009. As long as I don't use combustible tobacco he's happy. I'd look around for a vape friendly doctor who agrees that it's a benign activity for a former smoker..
Does make a good idiot detector though. Handy with doctors. Saves time.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Meh, don't really care what the old fart thinks. I only see him once a year for my DOT mandated physical. Which is his specialty. I'll stay with him because he DOES understand the DOT requirements. I've had trouble before with doctors who will do the physical but then fail me for reasons that DOT don't give a rats .... about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread