Non-Smokers who don't think you quit because you vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I only can raise one eyebrow a little bit and only wink with one eye ---right side and I am a lefty mostly. Who can wink with both eyes one at a time...?

I can? Must be that Spock influence.

On topic: This thread makes me glad I'm a recluse (except virtually, of course). Whether I argued or just bit my tongue, I would find dealing with some of the nonsense described here exhausting. I'm tired enough, thanks very much.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I can? Must be that Spock influence.

On topic: This thread makes me glad I'm a recluse (except virtually, of course). Whether I argued or just bit my tongue, I would find dealing with some of the nonsense described here exhausting. I'm tired enough, thanks very much.

I am fairly reclusive as well. Comes from working from home. The wife and I went out to eat tonight and it was the first time so far this year I have left the house. I don't do it really for any reason other than a lack of anywhere I need to go.

I will say it is quite nice not having to deal with the general public

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I am fairly reclusive as well. Comes from working from home. The wife and I went out to eat tonight and it was the first time so far this year I have left the house. I don't do it really for any reason other than a lack of anywhere I need to go.

I will say it is quite nice not having to deal with the general public
I haven't left my house (well, yard) since last October. Haven't missed the outside world one bit. But I have to go to the dentist on Wednesday and will likely stop in at the grocery store afterward, so I'll get a chance to find out whether I can still deal with people face to face.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I haven't left my house (well, yard) since last October. Haven't missed the outside world one bit. But I have to go to the dentist on Wednesday and will likely stop in at the grocery store afterward, so I'll get a chance to find out whether I can still deal with people face to face.
If I lived in Maine, I don't think I'd leave the house between October and May either. :laugh:

nobody_nose

Jan 10, 2019
USA
I honestly don't even think I qualify as a "real quitter" but I don't really give a hoot either. I still smoke the odd cigarette - pretty much never a whole one but I'll take a puff off someone else's. The truth is that I just don't enjoy cigarettes the way I used to. They all taste kinda nasty, even my old brand. (Side note: The one cigarette that is still great is hand-rolled pipe tobacco with cloves.) At the end of the day, what matters to me is that I don't ever crave them.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Don't know whether I quit or whether I stopped but which ever, it's been a long time since I ignited tobacco wrapped in paper.
I cannot join in with you in declaring anti-vapers to be "immoral or INHERENTLY immoral". I find the idea that anti-vapers "want people to suffer needlessly" to be abhorrent.
There's a conspiracy going on against vaping, and it's costing millions of lives worldwide. If that's not inherently immoral, then I don't know what is.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
What does it really mean to "quit" smoking?

To me, it means making a mental commitment to never have another cigarette, because for most ex-smokers, having just one means failure and a quick return to smoking.

I stopped smoking over five years ago, but I've never made that commitment to never have another one.
To me, it means severe suffering by struggling heavily to not return to smoking, which characterizes the quitting process and that also explains the resulting high failure rates. When I talk about suffering, think about the serious side effects, ailments, also including all the nerve damage and psychiatric disease, caused by Champix and by the fact our Belgian government decided to promote that filth (instead of promoting vaping, similar to how vaping is currently being promoted by Public Health England in the UK). To me, that's what it means.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
There's a conspiracy going on against vaping, and it's costing millions of lives worldwide. If that's not inherently immoral, then I don't know what is.

Your experience in Belgium may be different than mine in the USA. I have grown weary of categorizing anyone who disagrees with me as "immoral". I see demonizing the opposition to any particular idea as not merely wrong but rather as evil or whatever other epithet one may choose to use to be extremely counter-productive. Demonizing does not further the message with thoughtful intellect but rather demonetization muddies the message with emotion. There few ways to get my heels dug in but demonizing my thoughts as evil or immoral is certainly one of them. Do as you choose as will I.

Last edited:

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Your experience in Belgium may be different than mine in the USA. I have grown weary of categorizing anyone who disagrees with me as "immoral". I see demonizing the opposition to any particular idea as not merely wrong but rather as evil or whatever other epithet one may choose to use to be extremely counter-productive. Demonizing does not further the message with thoughtful intellect but rather demonetization muddies the message with emotion. There few ways to get my heels dug in but demonizing my thoughts as evil or immoral is certainly one of them. Do as you choose as will I.
I was talking about people who experience death everywhere on Earth, not just in Belgium. As for the USA, the FDA recently made vaping products less accessible to adult people under the guise of a "vaping epidemic among teens" that doesn't exist, AFTER Juul had already voluntarily decided to stop offering the pods in question at convenience stores and gas stations so the FDA has clearly abused Juul as a phoney excuse to still proceed with the ban that is highly overreaching as the ban also includes juices that cannot be used in any of the pod systems that have been associated with this same "epidemic". So it's not just about demonizing. Rather, it's about denying access to life-saving products. Thusly, the behavior is inherently immoral like I said. The rest is just irrelevant BS.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
If you find that labeling a speaker or writer is an effective and persuasive technique then by all means, have at it.

I was talking about people who experience death everywhere on Earth, not just in Belgium. As for the USA, the FDA recently made vaping products less accessible to adult people under the guise of a "vaping epidemic among teens" that doesn't exist, AFTER Juul had already voluntarily decided to stop offering the pods in question at convenience stores and gas stations so the FDA has clearly abused Juul as a phoney excuse to still proceed with the ban that is highly overreaching as the ban also includes juices that cannot be used in any of the pod systems that have been associated with this same "epidemic". So it's not just about demonizing. Rather, it's about denying access to life-saving products. Thusly, the behavior is inherently immoral like I said. The rest is just irrelevant BS.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
The red X @Skunk! ? Okay, but I'm not sure I understand, since it was presented as my opinion about the way I felt about myself.
Which part? You disagree that I consider myself an ex-smoker? That I like vaping? Or that one day I'll be an ex-vaper? Or that I think how I feel about it for myself is a matter of semantics?

upload_2019-1-15_12-20-23.png

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
The red X @Skunk! ? Okay, but I'm not sure I understand, since it was presented as my opinion about the way I felt about myself.
Which part? You disagree that I consider myself an ex-smoker? That I like vaping? Or that one day I'll be an ex-vaper? Or that I think how I feel about it for myself is a matter of semantics?

View attachment 792311
Oops. Purely accidental. I must have hit it while scrolling. I removed it. Sorry 'bout that.

Skrû_ball

Jul 4, 2018
@dripster the fda ban has not made it harder to get vape things one bit, it just will stop gas stations, and like walgreens or Walmart from selling eliquid and vapestuff. But in reality this helps vaping in the USA, or it helps the smaller vape shops grow and get more business. Gas stations are notorious for selling to underage vapers, so no it is not some crazy witch-hunt, when I was a teen and smoked guess where I got my cigarettes?(hint it was not a tobacconist or a place that only sold cigarettes in other words) Also vape shops usually employ vapers, so they know about what they are selling, and so can help new, or “maybe I’ll try it” smokers figure stuff out, also a bonus for vaping, nobody at the local Exxon knows anything about the eliquid they sell(or even if the manufacture is in the states)from what I can glean. I think the “epidemic” you speak(or the fda speaks of I guess) is teens vaping that have never smoked, so no it is not “lifesaving” for them. It used to be smoking cigarettes when I was a teen(90’s)so I know from experience kids are gonna experiment, and probably find a way regardless, maybe when they turn 18 and have to go into a vape shop they will get a refillable mod, or pod, instead of some cigalike that has been sitting on a shelf for 5 years leeching up hard metals from the coils, or anything but (now owned by Marlboro shudders)craptastic Juul.
But I digress, it is in no way, shape, or form(as an adult)any harder to obtain vaping gear or eliquid, if anything it is better for vaping, since underage vapers are the biggest complaint in the government. I for one never bought anything from Walgreens(too expensive and brands are crazy random and not trustworthy) I would rather my money(and everyone else’s) go to my local vape shops, or online stores which are still everywhere, instead of Walmart. I remember when I read about the proposed ban, I wasn’t automatically ......, I was thinking cool let the fda have their “win” as it will not affect me one iota. Oh and they are also trying to ban menthol cigarettes, since those are seen as directed at new smokers or easier to smoke at first. Which I believe will also help get people to try vaping. Just thought I would elaborate more on your mention of the fda ban and also offer my opinion as an american vaper, cheers

Reactions: stols001

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Non-Smokers who don't think you quit because you vape.

If everything is predicated on the literal absense of 'smoke (and related products of combusion),' perhaps there is a point to thinking one has quit.

Otherwise, most of us are still inhaling nicotine into our lungs in a fashion similar to we did with smoking. Wasn't that our primary reason for smoking? We're still engaged in a very similar activity. Why concern ourselves with how others see the situation?

Last time I was asked if I were still smoking, I replied, 'I switched to electronic cigarettes some time ago.'

I'll spend no more time of this waste of a topic.

Reactions: madstabber

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I dont know why folks are disagreeing with this, but I totally agree. BT, BP and whatever governments trying their hardest to write b/s and sway folks away from vaping so they can keep in the cash, they dont care about lives one bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Non-Smokers who don't think you quit because you vape.....I'll spend no more time of this waste of a topic.
It's not really a waste of a topic. Most vapers have come in contact with uneducated people who think or believe we are still smoking and these vapers may be at a loss for words on how to respond. Social and news media have been both manevolent and benefitual to vapers. This thread proves useful on how many vapers have responded to the topic of this thread.

The general public needs to understand that vaping is HARM REDUCTION. Vaping may not be completely safe, but it is SAFER than smoking. Bad press for vapers may discourage future vapers to try to quit smoking with an e-cigarette. We do current smokers and the vaping community a disservice by not presenting the facts.

Last edited:

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
@dripster the fda ban has not made it harder to get vape things one bit, it just will stop gas stations, and like walgreens or Walmart from selling eliquid and vapestuff. But in reality this helps vaping in the USA, or it helps the smaller vape shops grow and get more business. Gas stations are notorious for selling to underage vapers, so no it is not some crazy witch-hunt, when I was a teen and smoked guess where I got my cigarettes?(hint it was not a tobacconist or a place that only sold cigarettes in other words) Also vape shops usually employ vapers, so they know about what they are selling, and so can help new, or “maybe I’ll try it” smokers figure stuff out, also a bonus for vaping, nobody at the local Exxon knows anything about the eliquid they sell(or even if the manufacture is in the states)from what I can glean. I think the “epidemic” you speak(or the fda speaks of I guess) is teens vaping that have never smoked, so no it is not “lifesaving” for them. It used to be smoking cigarettes when I was a teen(90’s)so I know from experience kids are gonna experiment, and probably find a way regardless, maybe when they turn 18 and have to go into a vape shop they will get a refillable mod, or pod, instead of some cigalike that has been sitting on a shelf for 5 years leeching up hard metals from the coils, or anything but (now owned by Marlboro shudders)craptastic Juul.
But I digress, it is in no way, shape, or form(as an adult)any harder to obtain vaping gear or eliquid, if anything it is better for vaping, since underage vapers are the biggest complaint in the government. I for one never bought anything from Walgreens(too expensive and brands are crazy random and not trustworthy) I would rather my money(and everyone else’s) go to my local vape shops, or online stores which are still everywhere, instead of Walmart. I remember when I read about the proposed ban, I wasn’t automatically ......, I was thinking cool let the fda have their “win” as it will not affect me one iota. Oh and they are also trying to ban menthol cigarettes, since those are seen as directed at new smokers or easier to smoke at first. Which I believe will also help get people to try vaping. Just thought I would elaborate more on your mention of the fda ban and also offer my opinion as an american vaper, cheers
In the cities this FDA ban has no impact on the accessibility IMO, but in the rural areas the nearest B&M vape shops might be too far away for many people, and, although rumor has it that convenience stores and gas stations have already stockpiled these Juul pods before the ban went into effect so they can still continue to sell them, illegally, and also although you can still order them online or buy them from a friend of a friend of a friend, the point is that the kind of fruity juices and candy-like juices that have got absolutely nothing to do with this so-called "vaping epidemic among teens" (e.g., high VG 3mg/ml juices that cannot actually be used in these types of pod systems from Juul, Vuse, Blu, etc.) have become less accessible to adult vapers nevertheless IMO, at least in rural areas. More importantly in addition to that, I think this ban probably opens the door to even more restrictive regulations.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread