Does vaping help you stop smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
I started vaping this most recent occasion (2 prior failed attempts as my heart wasn't in it) to try and help my other half quit as she was told that to be able to try a life changing condition for her eczema. Didn't think I would actually quit though.

I dual used for 3 months and got down to 4 rollies a day when at work but none at home. Then without any real conscious decision as of boxing day I have been smoke free - with only once in the last 3 days at work have I really been tempted to smoke and that was once. I have resisted though!!

For me it was all about finding the right setup (or really setups). I mtl on an Aspire Zelos with a nautilus 2S first thing in the morning or when I need to stealth vape. For the rest of the time it has been a Voopoo Drag mini with a Falcon tank as I find a DTL setup seems to give me more satisfaction.

TLDR: Yes it works

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
Have you ever tried the Innokin Zenith, @wackyg? If so, how do you think it compares to the 2S?

Note: Apologies for going off topic.

Yep tried the Zenith - easiest tank in the world to use and the coil life was good. However for some reason I always found the flavour to be dull after a few puffs compared to the N2 I had started out on.

For me the Zenith is the perfect starter tank - so simple to refill and nice mess free coil change. However I prefer the Nautilus 2S for taste and now it has a proper top fill method I doubt I will use the Zenith much. On the plus side it was the tank that got my other half into vaping - she now has 2 of them!

Reactions: stols001

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Yep tried the Zenith - easiest tank in the world to use and the coil life was good. However for some reason I always found the flavour to be dull after a few puffs compared to the N2 I had started out on.

For me the Zenith is the perfect starter tank - so simple to refill and nice mess free coil change. However I prefer the Nautilus 2S for taste and now it has a proper top fill method I doubt I will use the Zenith much. On the plus side it was the tank that got my other half into vaping - she now has 2 of them!

The Zenith is the only tank I've used, but the Nautilus 2S interests me. In another thread, someone said it doesn't measure up to the Zenith, but from what you're saying it might be worth checking out after all.

On the other hand, I have a bunch of Zeniths, and it would be tragic to discover I prefer the Nautilus, so maybe I'm better off not opening that door.

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
The Zenith is the only tank I've used, but the Nautilus 2S interests me. In another thread, someone said it doesn't measure up to the Zenith, but from what you're saying it might be worth checking out after all.

On the other hand, I have a bunch of Zeniths, and it would be tragic to discover I prefer the Nautilus, so maybe I'm better off not opening that door.

Everyone is different in their tastes - I know loads of people prefer the Zenith for a variety of reasons. It's like smoking - I used to smoke Drum rolling tobacco but all of my mates hated it!!

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Everyone is different in their tastes - I know loads of people prefer the Zenith for a variety of reasons. It's like smoking - I used to smoke Drum rolling tobacco but all of my mates hated it!!

Ah, good old Drum! Used to cost me £2.50 for 12.5 grms, now apparently best part of a tenner! Very distinctive smokey taste, definitely a love it or hate it thing. Don't miss smoking it though, committed vaper for years now.

As for the Zenith, I love mine, but I got an N2 as well - I like them both for different reasons, prefer the Zenith generally but some juices taste better in the N2. No harm in having one of each really :)

natelivliv

Moved On
Jan 5, 2019
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Spam

Walter Ladd

Multiple ID Suspension
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Vaping absolutely helped me to stop smoking. Was a decades-long heavy smoker. Never tried to quit. Decided I wanted to stop when I learned about vaping. From Day 1 of vaping I stopped smoking cigs and over the years (6+) I have decreased my nic intake substantially.I do not think I would have made an attempt to quits cigs without vaping.

toughdiamond

May 12, 2009
over the years (6+) I have decreased my nic intake substantially.I do not think I would have made an attempt to quits cigs without vaping.
That's the part that I've still not had much success with. Currently I'm vaping strong nicotine infrequently instead of the previous weak nicotine frequently, so I'm getting about the same nicotine dose per day without inhaling so much VG and PG, but I'm still sorely missing the habit of drawing away all day ad lib, and I'm finding it hard to fight the craving for more nicotine.

Reactions: Chajo

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's OK to vape more of you're still craving, even if it's a higher nic juice. The one thing that matters is getting enough satisfaction to get the cravings if not completely gone at least more like background noise. You can worry about reducing the nic intake down the road, but now is not the time to worry about total vaped or even how much PG and VG you're vaping. You're trying to break a lifetime habit. Give yourself a break and just vape as much as you need to ( short of making yourself nauseous or something).

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
That's the part that I've still not had much success with. Currently I'm vaping strong nicotine infrequently instead of the previous weak nicotine frequently, so I'm getting about the same nicotine dose per day without inhaling so much VG and PG, but I'm still sorely missing the habit of drawing away all day ad lib, and I'm finding it hard to fight the craving for more nicotine.

Just be patient and keep trying. I smoked a lot - Marlboros and was a bigtime chain smoker. I was going through 2 to 4 packs of Marlboro reds that I had to move to the 100s. I decided I wanted to quit when I learned about vaping. I had never attempted to quit before. I'm the type of person that generally succeeds at stuff and just knew I'd be miserable if I could not smoke so I had not even attempted it.

I know the masses generally preach about using higher nicotine less frequently. That strategy did not and does not work for me. I've said it before that I'd get nic sick before I would smoke or even vape less. At that point in time, I had what I would call a very strong "hand-to-mouth" habit so I understand the desire to always "smoke" something. Vaping can satisfy that. So maybe this info will help you out a bit.

I started on store-bought stuff - Vuse - which was very high nic (close to 50) and I really did not like it but I was determined. I went through 4 to 5 of those cartridge filter things per day and it was costing me more than regular cigs. And a few times I actually felt a bit nauseated.

After a short time, I moved to ego-like devices with small tanks that you refill and I was still at very high nic but it was different equipment. I was using 48mg e juice. I was actually still not that satisfied because I had to really suck to get anything. It was a very tight draw. But I stuck with it and then I moved to the Johnson Creek Vea and used their equipment for over a year. Still high nic but I had stepped down to 36 and then 24mg of nic. I did in steps. I'd buy high % and a lower percentage and mix and step down super slowly. I did not go from 36 to 24 for example. I went 36, 34, 30 etc.....

Through all of that high nic, lower nic and all - I vaped with a very high frequency. I was always vaping. Got up to go the restroom --vaped. Opened my eyes - vaped. I smoked from when I was 10 years old so it was a way of life for me.

I lurked here for awhile and signed up and asked for some advice.

Finally, after reading about all these folks who successfully quit and were satisfied, truly satisfied, I knew there has to be a better way. I was very proud of myself that I had not smoked but I still was not 100% satisfied.

And then I bought my first "real" mod -- a Kanger box with a nano subtank. What a difference! I felt satisfied. I used mostly a .5 coil and kept the airflow way open and used about 17-20 watts of power. Believe it or not, I am now not that far off from that now all these years later. I finally found something that truly worked for me. I knew from reading on the forum that I needed to use a lower nicotine content so I was using 12 mg of nicotine when I started on the mod and the folks on this forum strongly suggested I go to 6 and I did but again slowly.

I think my journey would have been so much easier in the beginning if I would have just used a real mod but I did not know that much about it and was apprehensive.

I've upgraded my equipment a few times -- nothing super duper fancy but I use a tank and a box mod and build my coils instead of using the drop in ones and am a bit more adventurous in the types of coils I use.

I'm down to between 2 and 3mg of nicotine BUT I vape a lot so, of course, I am still getting a good amount of nicotine overall. It is just my nature and who I am. The way that I look at it is that I gave up cigs --- a HUGE accomplishment. I gave up something that had hundreds of ingredients and now use something that has way under 10 so who cares if I am still getting a decent amount of nic in my body. I don't.

Also, as the years have gone on I usually do not open my eyes and vape and usually I do not grab my vape if I get up during the night. I can have dinner with friends and not feel the immediate need to run outside and vape. I can visit a friend overnight and not have to vape. Although I vape frequently still it is not as much as it once was and I no longer feel the same crazy pull to have it every second. (Proof as I have said before that there is so much other sh** in analogs to keep you addicted)

So..................if you feel better vaping more often at a lower level of nic I do not really see the downside if it helps you avoid an analog cigarette.

I think that probably the biggest reason that some folks have a hard time transitioning to vaping is that they are not satisfied so you have to find the right equipment and right level (and right flavor) to satisfy you.

I despise when people say, "If I can do it - you can". I will say that I was very hardcore and if folks that knew me who were in my circle had to bet who was the one person that would never stop smoking they would have all picked me.

So keep trying and good luck in your journey.

Last edited:

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
I smoked for 27 years. I quit on November 3, 2018 via vaping without even really trying. If it wasn't for vaping specifically the Juul I would not have quit. I tried vaping in 2014 but at that time the juices and devices were not doing it for me. Flash forward and the devices today are good. I honestly, hated myself every time I smoked cigarettes.

I never ever thought I would quit. Even now being smoke free for two months I keep thinking when will I return to my old habit. I am not afraid to admit it. But when I would watch those youtube videos of people crying because they thought they couldn't quit I felt their pain. Until I found vaping.

dthor68

Dec 30, 2018
Greer, SC
I am trying to quit dipping. The last time I used smokeless tobacco was Dec. 19. At the moment I am needing a dip pretty bad! Puffing like crazy on the Juul. This game is killing me, even though my Tigers are winning 28-16! I smoked from 15-27, then dipped from 27-50. I have a feeling that I am just trading bad habits again. I would bet that is exactly what the vaping community is hoping for. So, how easy will it be to put the vape down?

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I went high on the Nic content, but only vaped 4-5 draws at a time. I put the vaporizer out of eye sight and let my body tell me when I needed another dose.

Once I realized that it worked, no cigs...same morning that I started.

After that, I dropped 15-20% every 2ish months. When I dropped down I saved a bottle of the upper strength and that became my morning vape (waking up).

It took a year or so to get down to 5%. I am happy and will stay there. I get an occasional craving and that is just my body telling me to outside for a break. If I can't it goes away rather quickly.

Slow easy drop. Life is good.

toughdiamond

May 12, 2009
It's OK to vape more of you're still craving, even if it's a higher nic juice. The one thing that matters is getting enough satisfaction to get the cravings if not completely gone at least more like background noise. You can worry about reducing the nic intake down the road, but now is not the time to worry about total vaped or even how much PG and VG you're vaping. You're trying to break a lifetime habit. Give yourself a break and just vape as much as you need to ( short of making yourself nauseous or something).
Thanks. It's useful to realise that it's not that urgent for me to reduce my nicotine intake quickly. I haven't smoked tobacco for a long time, and don't miss it now I'm vaping. So now the only remaining goal is to get my nicotine (and PG & VG) intake down to as near to zero as I can. You're likely right that I'm being a little too ambitious. I'm just mindful of making the eventual challenge even more difficult if I let my body get used to a high dose. Nicotine is said to be more addictive than ....... The trouble with the high strength stuff is that although in terms of nicotine I can probably cope without increasing it, I can only do that by vaping infrequently, and I'm sorely missing the fidget value, hence the temptation to vape more often and thus increase the physical addiction to nicotine. When I used to smoke, as soon as I put one out I could hardly wait to light another. I didn't become a chain smoker but it was always a choice between becoming one and feeling constantly uncomfortable from the restraint.

Just be patient and keep trying. I smoked a lot - Marlboros and was a bigtime chain smoker. I was going through 2 to 4 packs of Marlboro reds that I had to move to the 100s. I decided I wanted to quit when I learned about vaping. I had never attempted to quit before. I'm the type of person that generally succeeds at stuff and just knew I'd be miserable if I could not smoke so I had not even attempted it.

I know the masses generally preach about using higher nicotine less frequently. That strategy did not and does not work for me. I've said it before that I'd get nic sick before I would smoke or even vape less. At that point in time, I had what I would call a very strong "hand-to-mouth" habit so I understand the desire to always "smoke" something. Vaping can satisfy that. So maybe this info will help you out a bit.

I started on store-bought stuff - Vuse - which was very high nic (close to 50) and I really did not like it but I was determined. I went through 4 to 5 of those cartridge filter things per day and it was costing me more than regular cigs. And a few times I actually felt a bit nauseated.

After a short time, I moved to ego-like devices with small tanks that you refill and I was still at very high nic but it was different equipment. I was using 48mg e juice. I was actually still not that satisfied because I had to really suck to get anything. It was a very tight draw. But I stuck with it and then I moved to the Johnson Creek Vea and used their equipment for over a year. Still high nic but I had stepped down to 36 and then 24mg of nic. I did in steps. I'd buy high % and a lower percentage and mix and step down super slowly. I did not go from 36 to 24 for example. I went 36, 34, 30 etc.....

Through all of that high nic, lower nic and all - I vaped with a very high frequency. I was always vaping. Got up to go the restroom --vaped. Opened my eyes - vaped. I smoked from when I was 10 years old so it was a way of life for me.

Finally, after reading about all these folks who successfully quit and were satisfied, truly satisfied, I knew there has to be a better way. I was very proud of myself that I had not smoked but I still was not 100% satisfied.

And then I bought my first "real" mod -- a Kanger box with a nano subtank. What a difference! I felt satisfied. I used mostly a .5 coil and kept the airflow way open and used about 17-20 watts of power. Believe it or not, I am now not that far off from that now all these years later. I finally found something that truly worked for me. I knew from reading on the forum that I needed to use a lower nicotine content so I was using 12 mg of nicotine when I started on the mod and the folks on this forum strongly suggested I go to 6 and I did but again slowly.

I think my journey would have been so much easier in the beginning if I would have just used a real mod but I did not know that much about it and was apprehensive.

I've upgraded my equipment a few times -- nothing super duper fancy but I use a tank and a box mod and build my coils instead of using the drop in ones and am a bit more adventurous in the types of coils I use.

I'm down to between 2 and 3mg of nicotine BUT I vape a lot so, of course, I am still getting a good amount of nicotine overall. It is just my nature and who I am. The way that I look at it is that I gave up cigs --- a HUGE accomplishment. I gave up something that had hundreds of ingredients and now use something that has way under 10 so who cares if I am still getting a decent amount of nic in my body. I don't.

Also, as the years have gone on I usually do not open my eyes and vape and usually I do not grab my vape if I get up during the night. I can have dinner with friends and not feel the immediate need to run outside and vape. I can visit a friend overnight and not have to vape. Although I vape frequently still it is not as much as it once was and I no longer feel the same crazy pull to have it every second. (Proof as I have said before that there is so much other sh** in analogs to keep you addicted)

So..................if you feel better vaping more often at a lower level of nic I do not really see the downside if it helps you avoid an analog cigarette.

I think that probably the biggest reason that some folks have a hard time transitioning to vaping is that they are not satisfied so you have to find the right equipment and right level (and right flavor) to satisfy you.

I despise when people say, "If I can do it - you can". I will say that I was very hardcore and if folks that knew me who were in my circle had to bet who was the one person that would never stop smoking they would have all picked me.

Thanks, there's a few useful ideas in there, especially the method of reducing the nicotine concentration in very small increments. As I've said, I think I'm pretty safe from returning to tobacco, and as you say that's quite an achievement in itself, though at the current strength (32mg/ml) it feels as good as cigarettes, only without the nausea, lung irritation, etc., so if anything I prefer vaping to cigs. In my own case I vaped 0.37g of the liquid yeterday, which would be about 10mg of nicotine total for the day, though it wasn't without the need for will power to keep from vaping more. I don't know how that consumption rate compares with that of the average smoker, indeed I don't know how efficient my vaping pen is - it's a fairly simple one - so I don't know if that's a lot. No doubt it's pretty small compared with the most nicotine-soaked vapers around, but that might not be the most useful comparison.

Reactions: chellie

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I am trying to quit dipping. The last time I used smokeless tobacco was Dec. 19. At the moment I am needing a dip pretty bad! Puffing like crazy on the Juul. This game is killing me, even though my Tigers are winning 28-16! I smoked from 15-27, then dipped from 27-50. I have a feeling that I am just trading bad habits again. I would bet that is exactly what the vaping community is hoping for. So, how easy will it be to put the vape down?
Although I still vape it is much easier for me to put my vape down. With cigs I was very agitated if I did not have one. You will see from my other posts that I can go for long periods without a vape. My goal is not to quit vaping --- I like it and feel I found a better, safer alternative but I really feel that I could quit without suffering too much. I've gone an entire day without vaping. I go to the store and leave my vape home. I never did that with cigs.

toughdiamond

May 12, 2009
When I dropped down I saved a bottle of the upper strength and that became my morning vape (waking up).
I guess that shows how different things work for different people. In my case I crave nicotine more as the day goes on, so it's easier for me to delay my first draw as late as possible, keep it as light as I can when I do start, and then allow myself to pig out more in the evening. If I succumb to temptation too early, there's no way I can drop back later on.

ThrashNeon

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
I wrote:
Does vaping help you stop smoking?
<snip>

Here I am 10 years later. I've just ordered new supplies... we'll see how it goes this time.
40 years of smoking a pack and a half Camel Lights/Blues per day.

I got my new kit on 5 Jan.
I have NOT received my nic juice yet, so I mixed up some nic-free (VG) English Toffee.

Over the past 3 days, I've smoked 3 cigarettes.
I'll light a smoke with my coffee in the am, take a couple drags and put it out. It lasts a couple of hours, and then I just vape for the rest of the day.

So far, so good.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018

I still have a kanger sub tank nano on rotation - in fact I'm using it today! Was my first mod setup too, have a lot of affection for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread