Does vaping help you stop smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shepherdsdriving

Dec 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Hi everyone, I got a SMOK V8 Stick to helpfully drop my tabacco habit for good. I just started on 6mg juice (that’s the highest mg I can find in stores). And I’m wondering if vaping has helped any of you stop smoking. I’ve heard a lot of contradictory reports, some saying it’s a great way to quit while others say it’s not an effective method. I would love to hear your personal stories on if it helped or not. Or if you have any tips to stop smoking and stick to only vaping. Your stories, opinions, and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I tried everything to quit smoking and nothing worked. After 35 years of smoking I wasn't quiting easily. Then I started vaping. I dual used for a while cutting down the cigs more and more. Finally one day I decided it was a waste to keep smoking so I stopped. I chain vaped for a while (and still do sometimes) but I haven't had a serious craving for cigarettes. As long as I can vape I'm fine.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Switched from 23 years of smoking to vaping from one day to the next, back in June. Haven't contemplated smoking a cig ever since.

As I understood it, the key success factor was to re-route my addictive habits away from tobacco towards vaping. Vaping serves all my needs. I like warm big clouds, I love the scratchy menthol taste, a little bit of nic, and suckling on my drip tip. It's all I need.

Plus, my steadily improving health confirms my decision to stop smoking with every new day. I have no fear at all that I'll ever go back to cigs.

Last edited:

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
Does vaping help you stop smoking?

200.gif

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It certainly helped me, and I thought I was beyond help. I had pretty much given up on ever quitting, and certainly had no intention to quit when I got my first vape kit a bit over five years ago. I was just hopeful that it might help me cut back some. Imagine my surprise (and the grin on my face) when I cut back from 40+ per day to zero in less than one week.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I began vaping in August of 2017 after 40+ years of 30 cigs a day. After nine months of dual using (smoking and vaping) I had my last cig on May 11 of this year. In my experience, the first few months were the hardest. In terms of nicotine, I began with 24 mg. I gradually worked my way down to 6mg. And I mean gradually - 18mg, 15mg, 12 etc.

So, yes, vaping can help one to quit smoking, and to be honest, I never thought I would completely quit - I began just in the hope that I could cut down.

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
It definitely helped me, but I don't think I had a habit as bad as a lot of people that smoked. Maybe a half pack a day unless there was drinking involved. Once I found my sweet spot with vaping (1.8ohm voils, 11 watts, 18mg nicotine), I never picked up a cigarette again. Been over 5 years now.

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
I did the complete switch four years and a month ago. I smoked for 36 years. I also gradually worked my way down on Nicotine (like the previous poster). I’m ready to drop from 3mg to 1.5mg. I would still be smoking today if I didn’t vape!

Last edited:

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I tried everything to quit smoking, vaping is the only thing that worked!

I think it depends on the person, some people dual use for a while. I personally threw my cigarettes in the garbage the day I got my first set up and was fully committed to quitting through vaping. I was also a heavy smoker so it was quite the jump, I'm glad I did.

Welcome to the forum.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
It certainly helped me and I was a decades long smoker. :)

Once I actually started and saw it was working I diligently and daily lowered my cig use for just a few weeks, to zero. I hadn't really wanted to quit, just slow down. But, once I saw I could switch, I went for it. I still kept back up packs here and there (like car) but knew if I opened one I was doomed to use it up....so I didn't.

It was work, but well worth it. And yes, I do believe I had cig ingredient withdrawal, quite similar to the "stop smoking" cites chatter. That went away quickly, though the urge continued, slowly waning, for quite some time. For me the activity of vaping was pretty essential to making the switch from cigs to vaping.

Forum members would say things like, when have the urge to smoke, vape for 10 minutes first. Give it a try, it could be useful for you, too.

Happy Vaping Christmas!

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I was a @50 cig a day smoker, for about 37 years...tried many times to quit, made it a year and a half one time...only to wind up smoking again...that was until I tried vaping, and I only tried vaping because my wife begged me to. Three days after trying vaping, about five and a half years ago, I just stopped smoking, and have not returned. I know now that I am one of the lucky ones that it just worked for me right off the bat. Never had a real desire to smoke since switching to vaping, notice I said switching ;) because in my minds eye, I never had to quit anything, I just decided to choose another way to consume my nicotine. The thought of quitting always gave me great anxiety, and actually would increase my desire to smoke more. By thinking outside the pre ordained box, and realizing that I wasn't actually " quitting" , this anxiety never raised its ugly head, and the transition to vaping was rather seamless and non stressful.

Whatever path you follow, the best of luck to you, and you can do it if you believe it.

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
I think it depends on the person, some people dual use for a while.

This is a really good point to make here. We've finally got my Grandpa giving vaping a shot, and he's been smoking two packs a day for 40 something years. He explained to me that now what he's doing is going out on the back porch for an hour, and rather than smoking four cigarettes as had become his custom, now he's smoking two and vaping the rest of the time. It was really encouraging to hear him say that he feels he's almost ready to go down to one cigarette and his vape.

Anything less than what he was doing is considered a victory as far as I'm concerned.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
This is a really good point to make here. We've finally got my Grandpa giving vaping a shot, and he's been smoking two packs a day for 40 something years. He explained to me that now what he's doing is going out on the back porch for an hour, and rather than smoking four cigarettes as had become his custom, now he's smoking two and vaping the rest of the time. It was really encouraging to hear him say that he feels he's almost ready to go down to one cigarette and his vape.

Anything less than what he was doing is considered a victory as far as I'm concerned.
I agree. 40+ years is a very long time. It's not how you get there, it's getting there that matters.

I wish him the best of luck!

Mark M

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2018
London UK
Hi everyone, I got a SMOK V8 Stick to helpfully drop my tabacco habit for good. I just started on 6mg juice (that’s the highest mg I can find in stores). And I’m wondering if vaping has helped any of you stop smoking. I’ve heard a lot of contradictory reports, some saying it’s a great way to quit while others say it’s not an effective method. I would love to hear your personal stories on if it helped or not. Or if you have any tips to stop smoking and stick to only vaping. Your stories, opinions, and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks![/QUOTE Hi, yes I'm a week and a half off cigarettes, I used vape to cut down and finally managed to stop altogether praise God! I wasn't enjoying it anymore and was giving me anxiety and worry arround my health and I had lots of palpitations also. I have a baby on the way praise God, and this was the final push!! I now enjoy vapping much more than a cigarette. I know its early days so I'm not going to get cocky but I feel that I'm done!!!!! Hope you stop

Reactions: Letitia

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Smoked for over 45 years. On an average I smoked at least 30 smokes a day for those 45+ years. I bought my usual 2 cartons of smokes and a simple little e-cigarette kit from the smoke shop. I wanted to know what this new fangled electronic smoking thing was all about. That little kit showed me that vaping would work for me. I never did smoke those smokes. I did upgrade my equipment quickly though once I saw that it was going to work for me. That was just over 7 years ago so yes. vaping did help me stop smoking.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Hi everyone, I got a SMOK V8 Stick to helpfully drop my tabacco habit for good. I just started on 6mg juice (that’s the highest mg I can find in stores). And I’m wondering if vaping has helped any of you stop smoking. I’ve heard a lot of contradictory reports, some saying it’s a great way to quit while others say it’s not an effective method. I would love to hear your personal stories on if it helped or not. Or if you have any tips to stop smoking and stick to only vaping. Your stories, opinions, and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It did for me. If you decide you need a higher level of nic (entirely possible), the good folks here will be happy to show you where, how, etc..

I'm still at 15-18mg (7+ years in), with no real plans or desire to change. Almost everything about vaping comes down to personal decisions, and if you have the desire & intent, you'll find you spots (all-inclusive).

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
I smoked for 42 years, 2 1/2- 3 packs a day. A dedicated smoker. I knew I would never quit. Until one day my living situation changed in a way that simply made it impractical. I found vaping as an option, bought a kit, and gave myself 10 days to transition. That was a little over 9 years ago, and I have not smoked since.

I cannot imagine I could have done it any other way. I did try seriously once to cut down on smoking, to a pack a day. It was a living hell. By a month later, I was more than making up for it. Switching to vaping was surprisingly easy for me- I was getting my nicotine and retaining the hand to mouth thing (while ditching thousands of toxic chemicals, which I felt pretty good about), and that seemed to be what mattered.

I did feel a bit, "antsy" maybe, for about 3-4 weeks- I figured a bit of withdrawal from the other chemicals in cigarettes- but all in all, it was quite painless. Yes, pretty miraculously, vaping helped me stop smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread