Donate to Dr Farsalinos' new study

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Sticky: awesome! Total donated to date: really awesome! Idea to crowd fund ecig research: totally awesome!

Am busy reworking budget to donate more next month. Am fully confident in Dr. Farsalinos's ethics to use all funds for stated purpose or to disclose other uses if that happens.

Last edited:

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I am proud to be a part of this industry! It does seem when vapers need to join together, we get it done! CASAA wanted funding for a study....we got it! Dr F wanted funding for a study.... we got it! We needed 25000 signatures for the B.S White House petition that was ignored.....we got them too!!! If we can continue to join together to fight the legislative battles upcoming, we will be in pretty good shape. Science is on our side!!!!

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I am proud to be a part of this industry! It does seem when vapers need to join together, we get it done! CASAA wanted funding for a study....we got it! Dr F wanted funding for a study.... we got it! We needed 25000 signatures for the B.S White House petition that was ignored.....we got them too!!! If we can continue to join together to fight the legislative battles upcoming, we will be in pretty good shape. Science is on our side!!!!

Science was on Galileo's side too. But it was not enough to defeat the politics... We need politics to fight the politics, actions like this one, grass roots, crowd sourcing, vocal opposition to each and every Orwellian ruling thrown against ecigs.

DJLEC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Union City, California
This is wonderful. Thank you for posting.
It's shame that not many vendors are donating to this study yet.
But I see Totally Wicked has donated $8000.
I will start shopping there.

Just noticed Mt. Baker Vapor donated $5,000.00 so total is $23,733.00 now which is awesome with a number of Days left.

partyannimal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Near Jim Thorpe, PA, USA
In this case, there are no "extra funds". The more monies received , the more samples that will be tested. This is clearly indicated on the Home page of the funding campaign. "THE MORE FUNDS WE RAISE, THE MORE LIQUIDS WILL BE TESTED". As of 1/23, the total received has exceeded $34,000.00!

I did read that, I also read that most of the raised funds were going towards the costs of the lab.
I don't see the total being $34k though.
Regardless, I'll contribute because it's a great cause. It's about time we get some real studies done to stop the media from claiming vaping is unsafe because there are insufficient studies. :)

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I did read that, I also read that most of the raised funds were going towards the costs of the lab.
Regardless, I'll contribute because it's a great cause. It's about time we get some real studies done to stop the media from claiming vaping is unsafe because there are insufficient studies. :)

...Therefore the funding total has been exceeded already. However it is likely that additional funds can be used for testing more samples, as each test is expensive (several hundred dollars is usually quoted for a comprehensive analysis of a single sample)....

It can get pricey.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Update

I'm adding this, and the note within the OP, because it is our duty to fully inform you of the full circumstances, since we are asking you to support Dr Farsalinos.

Dr F reports that he has also received donations totalling $11,000 outside of the Indiegogo system and in addition to the total displayed there. Therefore we can add $11k to the Indiegogo sum displayed. (Some people had asked for direct bank transfer arrangements in order to donate larger sums than usual, to save money for the project on the site commission fees, and to save on Euro-Dollar conversion fees.) We regard this as a normal practice.

We expect him to be able to use these additional funds to carry out more tests; or to keep these funds available for future research projects. Either is perfectly acceptable to ECF.

We only mention this because it is our duty to fully inform you.

[edit]
I have asked Dr F what his plans are for the oversubscribed funds.

SecGuru

Verified Member
Nov 22, 2012
Pittsburgh

I have to agree with partyannimal here. There seems to be a bit of a head scratching moment here. Maybe I am in the minority here, even though I am all for testing vaping gear for safety.

Why are we (they) being so secretive on what they found in the initial testing? It seems to me if they found some chemicals or ingredients that were bad to vape, we should focus on removing those chemicals from the vaping materials. Not testing X number of liquids to see if they are present. I kind of relate this to Diacetyl. We found out that Diacetyl was bad, and now we are wary of buying products that contail Diacetyl.

In that vein, why not announce what was found, and focus on discovering the source?

I would never accuse Dimi or Dr. Farsalinos of any wrong doing, I am simply questioning were $35,000 is going.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
This is wonderful. Thank you for posting.
It's shame that not many vendors are donating to this study yet.
But I see Totally Wicked has donated $8000.
I will start shopping there.

Seems like vendors' donations would call the study into question just like how 'tobacco studies' are (and have been, by certain individuals) attacked.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I have to agree with partyannimal here. There seems to be a bit of a head scratching moment here. Maybe I am in the minority here, even though I am all for testing vaping gear for safety.

Why are we (they) being so secretive on what they found in the initial testing? It seems to me if they found some chemicals or ingredients that were bad to vape, we should focus on removing those chemicals from the vaping materials. Not testing X number of liquids to see if they are present. I kind of relate this to Diacetyl. We found out that Diacetyl was bad, and now we are wary of buying products that contail Diacetyl.

In that vein, why not announce what was found, and focus on discovering the source?

I would never accuse Dimi or Dr. Farsalinos of any wrong doing, I am simply questioning were $35,000 is going.

Am I missing something obvious here?

That study is already available (it's on ECF) so there's no secrecy--they're just casting a wider net. Or look here: Evaluation of the cytotoxic potential of e-cigarette vapor on cultured cardiac cells: a new study

And as far as as the testing costs, if 100 liquids were tested and the cost of a comprehensive analysis for each liquid only costs $300, that would be $30K. That's not including the cost of 100+ different liquids and shipping cost to Greece (or wherever it's going).

I only scratch mind head in amazement that this is just now becoming more common place.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Seems like vendors' donations would call the study into question just like how 'tobacco studies' are (and have been, by certain individuals) attacked.

I get that premise, but only partly. I see that House of Liquid donated 3K, but it should also be noted that HoL came out looking rather blemished in their last study. A few of HoL tobacco liquids were found to be cytotoxic. Hey, at least we know who the bigger donors are. I also read on the site that they do not accept requests to test any particular liquid, so it's not like a vendor can pay to get their liquids a clean bill of health. It apparently all mystery shopped so they get exactly what generally goes out the door.

But I do get the "industry" aspect of what you are suggesting.

Last edited:

SecGuru

Verified Member
Nov 22, 2012
Pittsburgh
That study is already available (it's on ECF) so there's no secrecy--they're just casting a wider net. Or look here: Evaluation of the cytotoxic potential of e-cigarette vapor on cultured cardiac cells: a new study

And as far as as the testing costs, if 100 liquids were tested and the cost of a comprehensive analysis for each liquid only costs $300, that would be $30K. That's not including the cost of 100+ different liquids and shipping cost to Greece (or wherever it's going).

I only scratch mind head in amazement that this is just now becoming more common place.

Thank you for the link. But, here is my issue. This study, at least by the abstract, only takes into account the possibility of an issue with Cinnamon base liquids. So here we are back on the Cinnamon debate.

What I want to see is an indication that this study will be one that takes each liquid, tests for toxicity, and produces a report based upon the findings. Not one that says, "hey, we found something. We want to test each liquid to see if it's in there". That is not a properly designed study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread