Not open for further replies.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
LOL! I'm with you, Shy De. We may not be faced with an all-out ban, but I think that access to liquid nicotine / nic juice is likely to be significantly restricted, perhaps to the point that it becomes too costly and/or too risky for most juice vendors to stay in business. I'm hoping for the best, but like you, I'm preparing for the worst. In a fit of doomsday anxiety and poor impulse control, I rushed to get a nic order into Wizard Labs before they closed, so now I have 250ml /100mg on the way and I'm scrambling around trying to get all the measuring/mixing/storing supplies together.

My immediate concern is just dealing with the nic when it gets here. My plan is to pour it up into 2oz amber bottles (or maybe 1oz - I haven't decided that yet) so that only a little bit at a time gets exposed to air and light. The rest will stay in the freezer until I need it. From what I've read, if stored in that fashion, it should have a shelf life of about a year. I'm as new as you, though, so don't quote me on that. As far as safety, I'm taking reasonable precautions but nothing extraordinary - it's not like I'm taking delivery on a vial of Ebola or something. I'll wear gloves, open the window and set the amber bottles in a disposable aluminum roasting pan while I fill them in case I spill. I thought about buying the big HazMat mask on the WL website, but that's probably overkill.

Once I get the nic put away and the rest of my non-juice supplies together, then I can start on the fun part - picking the flavors :) I'll be watching this thread to see what you come up with. I'm not a DIY Master, but I'll certainly share my experiences - if nothing else, I can serve as the example of what not to do. :) This will be fun.

I have had nicotine in the freezer for almost 3 years that is just as good as the day I put it in the freezer. :) It will last in the freezer for many years.

Here is the info that you need
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/134842-long-term-storage-e-liquid.html

ETA- Nicotine in a PG base will hold up better than nicotine in a VG base from my experience.

Last edited:

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Even unfrozen, liquid PG nic-juice in the freezer will still have slower reaction kinetics than room temperature liquid. Increased viscosity, such as VG nic-juice, will further lower kinetics of reactions of nic with O2: the molecules do not move around much to find each other. But all reactions slow down with cold regardless of viscosity changes. The fact that neither of these liquids freeze solid in the freezer is good. Solid is chrystalline, and is generally not the same composition as the liquid, in other words, freezing solid will promote separations...although after it melts to room temp, it can be mixed back to original uniform composition.

Is freezer storage overkill? Maybe. As I said, sealed is sealed, and the total reactions possible if its sealed are low. But I get a singular pleasure from taking one of those 50 mL bottles out, knowing it will be as fresh and potent as the day I bought it, even years down the line.

Based on my decades of chemical knowledge, I do honestly think this is the best option for long-term unflavored nic-juice storage.

character limit...

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Just a little FYI for you ecig preppers. If your buying 100mg nic base, make sure 100% VG is the carrier. It has been shown that the thicker VG will help prevent the nic breakdown when stored in the freezer. It's been chemist confirmed it should last up to 10 years stored in 100% VG in the freezer.
Also my 2cents, wizard labs is FDA approved and nic was available before ecigs so like someone said the will probably just go after the juice vendors.

This is very useful and hopeful information. :)

Yes, it is - wish I'd read it last week :). As my Karma usually dictates, I picked the other thing. Oh well. If, before April, I a) can mix at least a couple of juices that I like, and b) successfully negotiate for the requisite freezer space with my Loved One, who really likes to put stuff like the food that feeds our children in there, I'll go that route next time. If I really get into it, there might be a mini freezer in my future :)

Catmau5

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Jacksonville, Fl
They couldn't ban nicotine liquids could they? They say that only tobacco and menthol liquids could be sold so in essence unflavored would still have to be sold to suppliers to make that tobacco and menthol flavors right? Also they can't ban Loran's could they? That's a food flavoring.. So no matter what they do I can build an e cig out of a flashlight and make liquid myself so they can ban me all that they want but they will never stop me!

EDIT: wizard labs.. Hahaha I can still make my liquids they are already fda approved and all the liquids on their own are not used for PV's but together are and no where on the site does it advertise use for PV's so that will be there to stay! Also they are a little cheaper than other sites I have seen and are practically a days drive from me!

Last edited:

rockymtnrobin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Colorado
I have had nicotine in the freezer for almost 3 years that is just as good as the day I put it in the freezer. :) It will last in the freezer for many years.

Here is the info that you need
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/134842-long-term-storage-e-liquid.html

ETA- Nicotine in a PG base will hold up better than nicotine in a VG base from my experience.
I found this link a couple of days ago and it is very good.
However please look a what's down with the FDA in April. I watched the FDA hearing and they have no clue what e cigs are.
And in the UK there fighting to ban e cigs. They are looking at nic being a RX and only at 4mg.You can bet if it happens in UK the rest of the EU follow.
And we will do the same. So if your ready for 4mg juice comming from One Drug Co. and doing it on a battery like Blu or Njoy your great.
I'm buying 100 mg juice and DIY, Learning about rebuilding and buying more. I have bought a Provari, a EA mod and a box mod.
Check out CASAA and join. So to call this DOOMSDAY isn't far off the mark at all.
P.S. Wizard Labs there moving and will be back up on Jan.28th.

Last edited:

RobertNC

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2012
Athens
I think they will not be effectively able to regulate batteries and carts from being bought, maybe have to go offshore, but not sure. Gonna evaluate that once the proposed regulations are published. But FDA has the authority to regulate foods, drugs, tobacco products and nicotine, I don't see how they can legally extend that to vaping hardware because it does not necessarily constitute a drug delivery device or a tobacco product.

As far as liquids go, I feel pretty certain that even though it may be FDA approved, if they do regulate you will see the end of days as far as the public being able to buy 100mg/mL Nicotine base (or 24, 48, etc for that matter). Of course that will still be somewhere offshore too, but you will never get bottles of liquids through Customs. I personally plan to stockpile a substantial amount.

You can check my blogs for tips on how to stockpile a relatively large (multiple liters) supply of nic base.

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
We know the FDA is going after the sale of Nic- they see this Vape thing and want to get into regulating (and taxing) it.
So the low hanging fruit is the Nic- Nic and tobacco sound the same to a sixth grader...'we should do something' !
The avalilability of nic juice will be curtailled, vendors will vanish as nic juice is taxed. Just my opinion.
I am preparing and will be able to do for myself for a few years.

When working with nic juice...please wear clear safety glasses, don't want that stuff in you eyes.

Shy De

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Oregon
I found this link a couple of days ago and it is very good.
However please look a what's down with the FDA in April. I watched the FDA hearing and they have no clue what e cigs are.
And in the UK there fighting to ban e cigs. They are looking at nic being a RX and only at 4mg.You can bet if it happens in UK the rest of the EU follow.
And we will do the same. So if your ready for 4mg juice comming from One Drug Co. and doing it on a battery like Blu or Njoy your great.
I'm buying 100 mg juice and DIY, Learning about rebuilding and buying more. I have bought a Provari, a EA mod and a box mod.
Check out CASAA and join. So to call this DOOMSDAY isn't far off the mark at all.
P.S. Wizard Labs there moving and will be back up on Jan.28th.
I completely agree.. It isn't just mixing your own juice it's about being able to maintain your equipment for several years

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
Yes, it is - wish I'd read it last week :). As my Karma usually dictates, I picked the other thing. Oh well. If, before April, I a) can mix at least a couple of juices that I like, and b) successfully negotiate for the requisite freezer space with my Loved One, who really likes to put stuff like the food that feeds our children in there, I'll go that route next time. If I really get into it, there might be a mini freezer in my future :)

The other thing PG is just fine no worries---seems to be alot of conflicting info posted here---salem has pg base last fine for 3 years time.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
wizard labs will be fine I'm sure, but that doesn't mean they will be able to sell us concentrated nic :(

I've had multiple nic vendors tell me that they note VG will turn the color of nic faster than PG, even different VGs --> different colors/rate of change, but then there's what Kurt says in the above post which is theoretically sound in terms of reaction kinetics, and the bottom line is the man knows what he's talking about. I also wonder if said nic vendors agitate the crap out of their VG nics more so than their PG nics in order to get them to mix/flow evenly, which would accelerate degradation (I think). Who knows.

So who knows. Either way, it shouldn't make a huge difference. I've had PG and VG nics change color without alterations in flavor, nics remain clear and start to taste like crap (there's one on my desk right now lol), and nics change color and taste *better* (if you enjoy unflavored). Its a bit of a crap shoot unfortunately. Only way around it is to try enough nics over enough time to know what you will enjoy/tolerate, and enough time seems to be exactly what we're lacking. And that would assume absence of alterations in the stock we buy from over time as well, which is a hell of an assumption.

Last edited:

infoimp

Sarcasm Cult Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
Vaping Underworld
You've got to follow the money. The $$$ is NOT in banning vaping. Big tobacco is already in, so that won't happen. The $$$ is in regulating/taxing and they'll do it the same way as tobacco, albeit slowly ramping up. It will probably NOT be as expensive as analogs, but they'll work on it until it's close.

Also, I'd been putting this off, but now might be the time. Build your own eCig Mod. From parts available at Radio Shack. For a few bucks. I think I can do this, even if I AM female and even if there IS soldering involved...lol!

Shy De

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Oregon
You've got to follow the money. The $$$ is NOT in banning vaping. Big tobacco is already in, so that won't happen. The $$$ is in regulating/taxing and they'll do it the same way as tobacco, albeit slowly ramping up. It will probably NOT be as expensive as analogs, but they'll work on it until it's close.

Also, I'd been putting this off, but now might be the time. Build your own eCig Mod. From parts available at Radio Shack. For a few bucks. I think I can do this, even if I AM female and even if there IS soldering involved...lol!

Women are pretty much better at everything when properly instructed. So shouldn't worry about smoldering! Haha

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
So no matter what happens in April wizard labs is okay?
I'm willing to bet wizardlabs is going to be the first vendor they go after to make an example out of, along with ecigxpress and the other top 3-4 nic vendors.
So shouldn't worry about smoldering! Haha
soldering*** lololol

Last edited:

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I'm willing to bet wizardlabs is going to be the first vendor they go after to make an example out of, along with ecigxpress and the other top 3-4 nic vendors.
soldering*** lololol

Wouldn't the fact that they are already FDA approved help at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread