• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Dorian: here we go again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
If anyone over 'yonder' needs a small bedroom fer shelter, ya can visit me fer a few days (west Bradenton). And bring your pets (I no longer have any; but miss 'em). BTW, no fence here.

I tend to my disabled bride, so ya won't find a sparklin' abode. But it is comfortable, friendly and will give ya a spot to rest your head(s). PM me if you're in dire straights...

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Cautiously optimistic but...

B66F36B6-06A8-4241-840A-3903ED55A57A.jpeg

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
If anyone over 'yonder' needs a small bedroom fer shelter, ya can visit me fer a few days (west Bradenton). And bring your pets (I no longer have any; but miss 'em). BTW, no fence here.

I tend to my disabled bride, so ya won't find a sparklin' abode. But it is comfortable, friendly and will give ya a spot to rest your head(s). PM me if you're in dire straights...
Iffy you're such a sweet man :wub::wub::wub:

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I don't know if any of you ever use Windy.com so here it is. You can check lots of things anywhere, including wind speed anywhere from the surface to way up. For instance where I live, as of now, Wedn AM will bring the strongest winds of that whole hurricane - 18 knots=20.7mph. You can move the flag by its ball to wherever you wish. I must say I wonder how accurate this is for a hurricane. I'll test it and let you know.

IMG_5284.jpg

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
I don't know if any of you ever use Windy.com so here it is. You can check lots of things anywhere, including wind speed anywhere from the surface to way up. For instance where I live, as of now, Wedn AM will bring the strongest winds of that whole hurricane - 18 knots=20.7mph. You can move the flag by its ball to wherever you wish. I must say I wonder how accurate this is for a hurricane. I'll test it and let you know.

WOW ! ! ! It is interesting to see what they predict for the coming days by the hour, including rain/rain accumulation, the air quality, etc. and there is even a link to webcams in your area too . . . NICE . . . :thumbs:

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
WOW ! ! ! It is interesting to see what they predict for the coming days by the hour, including rain/rain accumulation, the air quality, etc. and there is even a link to webcams in your area too . . . NICE . . . :thumbs:

And if you click on the menu bar on the right and go to settings you can change knots to mph and lots of other stuff.

For pilots they can find out what the winds are doing up higher in the air.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't know if any of you ever use Windy.com so here it is.
Yup. For Dorian, Windy's predicted paths have actually been leading the official forecasts by ~12h or so for the last few days.

Trouble is you have to hit "play" and that was quite slow at the cabin where I was last week. "High-Speed Internet" means something rather different in Appalachia than it does in most other places. Now I'm up in PA with a much better connection and that feature is far more usable.

Windy has also become my favorite site for live radar.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
How are you doing Bea?
Not too bad. We haven't "talked" in a while. Let's PM.

We're ready. Probably the worst thing to happen will be losing power for maybe days. With Irma we got hit with a cat 1 and lost power for 4 days.

So Genie is on the stanby, 7 dinners cooked and frozen (genie handles microwave, lights, water pump, TV. But not stove), pantry stocked, batts charged, gas tanks filled. All we have to do is close down the greenhouse and the chicken house and bring hanging plants to the lanai.

We don't evac unless it gets to a cat 3-4. Heaven help us if this area gets that. As far as I know this has never happened. Let's keep it that way.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Yup. For Dorian, Windy's predicted paths have actually been leading the official forecasts by ~12h or so for the last few days.

Trouble is you have to hit "play" and that was quite slow at the cabin where I was last week. "High-Speed Internet" means something rather different in Appalachia than it does in most other places. Now I'm up in PA with a much better connection and that feature is far more usable.

Windy has also become my favorite site for live radar.
My only problem with Windy is the wind speeds seem all wrong. For instance right now Dorian is over the Bahamas at a reported 185/mph but Windy shows surface winds at 70/mph and at 2000 feet 101:mph. What am I doing wrong?

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
My only problem with Windy is the wind speeds seem all wrong. For instance right now Dorian is over the Bahamas at a reported 185/mph but Windy shows surface winds at 70/mph and at 2000 feet 101:mph. What am I doing wrong?
Hey, I saw that same 185 mph report. I surely hope it was wrong.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Hey, I saw that same 185 mph report. I surely hope it was wrong.

Nope - 11 Pm report the winds got up to 200 mph, but back to 180 mph right now . . . :facepalm:

@Bea-FL . . . :thumbs: :wub:

All I can say right now is - Stayin' here, since WPB is supposed to get hit pretty hard . . . AND - Although there maybe power lost around here when Dorian comes by tomorrow evening/night, I really hope the winds don't take the electricity out for too long, especially not having any AC (breathing problems) - NOT NICE . . . Just Sayn' . . . :facepalm:

BTW: How is everyone else doing? :blink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread