Dual user seeking support to quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
Good advice Anna, lovely day to you too!

Good to hear, redeuce, I've avoided around 300 smokes already, lol, thats crazy to think about.
I'm an artist and making art things always went hand in hand with smoking, so I guess it takes a while
to get used to not having those cigarette breaks, but the 18 mg liquid has helped a lot so far

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Looks like you are well on your way and received a lot of good advice. Read it without logging in but would have given everybody a like, nice job! I'm adding this not just for you but for anyone else struggling. And believe me, I struggled a lot and needlessly beat myself up a lot. Wish I'd found ECF sooner.

I could live in Denmark happily for the rest of my life. My father's family lived there for a couple of years while fleeing the Nazis. As a kid I was dragged through much of the country and was quite bummed to leave. Bornholm, Copenhagen, Tivoli (Gardens)...

Trivia alert: Back in the day, the best hourglasses were made from Bornholm sand. It wasn't just the color, each grain of sand is small and pretty uniform making the hourglass more accurate.

I can do without Denmark's nic restrictions.

I dual used for five frustrating months. I had the same problems you did with throat irritation, coughing, etc. Dairy products, something to coat your throat, helped a lot. You probably will cough for a while as your body gets rid of the gunk, just not the same as dual using.

Online research finally told me I should bump up to 18mg to 24mg. It was a complete overdose but it worked. I dropped back down within a month and then continued to drop periodically as the nic naturally became too much at each level.

Don't worry about how much nic you are using, everybody is different. My happy spot is 4-5mg. For other people it's much higher and for some it is none. Whatever works is the right way to do it.

Ever fly on a plane, run outside, light a cig and get sucker-punched between the eyes with the nic rush? With cigarettes you are free-basing nic. Unfortunately, that never happens with vaping. No quick fix and I miss that a lot. :( The trade off is you get many more healthy, happy years of living with a hell of a lot fewer doctor visits, colds, flu. Worth it. :thumbs:

I tried looking for one of those handy dandy vaping calculator/banners and could only find this one, humble apologies. Since My Last Cigarette | Create your banner! To date I haven't smoked about 75,000 cigarettes and saved over $25,000. Staggers the mind. That's 75,000 toxic butts that haven't gone into a landfill or somewhere else critters might get ahold of them. Worth it alone just for that.

Looking at a constantly updating banner gives you sort of an extra kick in the .... when you have a moment of weakness. If you do break down and have a cig, you don't need to be happy about it but do not beat yourself up over it either. As the others have said, it is the ones you don't smoke that count. :thumb:

You are correct in that there is a lot of crap added into cigarettes that make quitting a nightmare. BT has spent billions getting us hooked, we are stronger than they are especially if we stick together and share information and support. Here is a list of symptoms you may experience withdrawing from their toxic soup. A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

Keep up the good work!

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
Looks like you are well on your way and received a lot of good advice. Read it without logging in but would have given everybody a like, nice job! I'm adding this not just for you but for anyone else struggling. And believe me, I struggled a lot and needlessly beat myself up a lot. Wish I'd found ECF sooner.

I could live in Denmark happily for the rest of my life. My father's family lived there for a couple of years while fleeing the Nazis. As a kid I was dragged through much of the country and was quite bummed to leave. Bornholm, Copenhagen, Tivoli (Gardens)...

Trivia alert: Back in the day, the best hourglasses were made from Bornholm sand. It wasn't just the color, each grain of sand is small and pretty uniform making the hourglass more accurate.

I can do without Denmark's nic restrictions.

I dual used for five frustrating months. I had the same problems you did with throat irritation, coughing, etc. Dairy products, something to coat your throat, helped a lot. You probably will cough for a while as your body gets rid of the gunk, just not the same as dual using.

Online research finally told me I should bump up to 18mg to 24mg. It was a complete overdose but it worked. I dropped back down within a month and then continued to drop periodically as the nic naturally became too much at each level.

Don't worry about how much nic you are using, everybody is different. My happy spot is 4-5mg. For other people it's much higher and for some it is none. Whatever works is the right way to do it.

Ever fly on a plane, run outside, light a cig and get sucker-punched between the eyes with the nic rush? With cigarettes you are free-basing nic. Unfortunately, that never happens with vaping. No quick fix and I miss that a lot. :( The trade off is you get many more healthy, happy years of living with a hell of a lot fewer doctor visits, colds, flu. Worth it. :thumbs:

I tried looking for one of those handy dandy vaping calculator/banners and could only find this one, humble apologies. Since My Last Cigarette | Create your banner! To date I haven't smoked about 75,000 cigarettes and saved over $25,000. Staggers the mind. That's 75,000 toxic butts that haven't gone into a landfill or somewhere else critters might get ahold of them. Worth it alone just for that.

Looking at a constantly updating banner gives you sort of an extra kick in the .... when you have a moment of weakness. If you do break down and have a cig, you don't need to be happy about it but do not beat yourself up over it either. As the others have said, it is the ones you don't smoke that count. :thumb:

You are correct in that there is a lot of crap added into cigarettes that make quitting a nightmare. BT has spent billions getting us hooked, we are stronger than they are especially if we stick together and share information and support. Here is a list of symptoms you may experience withdrawing from their toxic soup. A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for that interesting post!
I was born here in Denmark, never knew about the hourglasses from Bornholm :)
I have actially never gotten to visit Bornholm.

Yes, you are so right about the thousands of butts we avoid to throw out into the environment. Definitely worth it. I found a quit-banner that works, but thank you. I will stay on mostly vaping 18 mg liquid for now, which is the highest you can buy in DK. Later I will try to cut down.

Thanks again, this thread really helped me the past 12 days

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Sorry, I forgot I couldn't see your counters when I wasn't logged in. :oops:

@NoobJens007, you are saving money, go to Bornholm. Granted it's been decades since I've been there, it probably hasn't changed that much. It's an island in the middle of a very big ocean... Seriously, it's a lovely place, very inspirational. Just stay away away from the smoked herring, unless you like that sort of thing. Ferry ride can be a bit rough sometimes. Check it out, you'll like what you see.

@WorksForMe, yeah, they dumped my banner too. :( Don't know why I couldn't find all the other ones. Maybe bad search terms?

Congratulations to all the quitters on here, you're doing great. :thumbs:

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
OK most of this is all on you,

It is going to be hard, but trust me on this... The Vaping.... Will make it ten times easier. But still not a magic cure all.
You need to put in work... but dont stress it too bad... cut back slowly... Whenever you want one... take a vape until you dont. And set a quit date. and make it so its the last one at night. Its easier to go a whole day without smoking than it is to go half a day.

And get some higher nic juice for when you get really bad cravings for cigarettes... try vaping see if it helps.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
OK most of this is all on you,

It is going to be hard, but trust me on this... The Vaping.... Will make it ten times easier. But still not a magic cure all.
You need to put in work... but dont stress it too bad... cut back slowly... Whenever you want one... take a vape until you dont. And set a quit date. and make it so its the last one at night. Its easier to go a whole day without smoking than it is to go half a day.

And get some higher nic juice for when you get really bad cravings for cigarettes... try vaping see if it helps.

But, but, but he's doing it! He is succeeding. :)

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
I smoked several cigarettes today, but see it as a small step back in an otherwise succesful progression.

They werent that enjoyable, except for the first one. I wasn't even stressed or anything, just thought what the heck. I dont regret it, that doesn't change anything. But now my throat feels sore again, and I just wanna vape.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sometimes I think falling off the wagon a time or two (I certainly did) can actually reinforce that cigarettes suck. Oh, I KNOW I'm going to enjoy the first one.... Every.Single.Time but I'm not the kind of smoker that can just enjoy the first one on any kind of ongoing basis, even while vaping. I've tried that experiment enough, so I just don't do it anymore.... And if I smoke one, I force myself to smoke for the rest of the day so that I have a smoking hangover and don't want to vape, but neither the smoking day nor the next day is any kind of fun.

Anna

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
Sorry, I forgot I couldn't see your counters when I wasn't logged in. :oops:

@NoobJens007, you are saving money, go to Bornholm. Granted it's been decades since I've been there, it probably hasn't changed that much. It's an island in the middle of a very big ocean... Seriously, it's a lovely place, very inspirational. Just stay away away from the smoked herring, unless you like that sort of thing. Ferry ride can be a bit rough sometimes. Check it out, you'll like what you see.

@WorksForMe, yeah, they dumped my banner too. :( Don't know why I couldn't find all the other ones. Maybe bad search terms?

Congratulations to all the quitters on here, you're doing great. :thumbs:

I think I must go to Bornholm sometime. It would be a mistake not to. I grew up eating fish, smoked or cooked, so I might like the herring :D

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
Sometimes I think falling off the wagon a time or two (I certainly did) can actually reinforce that cigarettes suck. Oh, I KNOW I'm going to enjoy the first one.... Every.Single.Time but I'm not the kind of smoker that can just enjoy the first one on any kind of ongoing basis, even while vaping. I've tried that experiment enough, so I just don't do it anymore.... And if I smoke one, I force myself to smoke for the rest of the day so that I have a smoking hangover and don't want to vape, but neither the smoking day nor the next day is any kind of fun.

Anna
I am prepared for a hang over tomorrow. And a fresh start. Im not going to reset my counter, since I didnt smoke that many cigarettes today, and the counter is set slightly lower than the number I smoked in average

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
I smoked several cigarettes today, but see it as a small step back in an otherwise succesful progression.

They werent that enjoyable, except for the first one. I wasn't even stressed or anything, just thought what the heck. I dont regret it, that doesn't change anything. But now my throat feels sore again, and I just wanna vape.

Awe you poor thing, it's only a minor set back. Tomorrow is a new day. That's the beauty of quitting smoking, there is always tomorrow to make a fresh new start. I am not surprised that you had a set back, it happens when you first try to quit, and don't be surprised if it happens a few more times. Just get up and knock the dirt off and start a new day. With each setback you will get better and better with each new attempt. Just don't beat yourself up or give up, keep fighting towards being smoke free. You can do this, it's just going to take time to get there. Just keep telling yourself how far you came, and how far you can go the next time. You get braver and go alittle further each time...that is still progress. You just need baby steps, heck most of us do. Like i said get up, have a good laugh, remember how far you got this time, and try again. Gotta remember you still have detoxed alot of crap over the time you haven't smoked so unless you keep smoking, your still on your way to lowering those toxins in your system. Everyday in life is a new start, just chose how you want it to end when you lay your head down on your pillow at night. Have faith in yourself.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't inherently look at falling off the vaping wagon as bad, if you learn from it. I learned from every single one of my "slipups." And I didn't stop vaping, just got back on the horse with more determination... LOL. Noob, good for you for returning to vaping. Cigs happen, and early on especially, it is SO not uncommon....

Anna

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Hey all.
I was a heavy smoker before I found vaping, and in the beginning when I bought my first
e-cig I was able to quit for a few months. Then I started dual using due to some stressful times. Also my motivation to be smoke-free wasn't very strong.

The thing is, vaping really irritates my throat when Im dual using, and I miss those months
where I was stinky-free and vaping was just a joy. Also, I'm starting to have
breathing difficulties. and it really worries me.

Have you tried NETs? Set up a second mod/atty and fill it with some strong NET (Naturally Extracted Tobacco) like this: Balkan or this: Organic Spirit When you feel the need for tobacco, hit the NET instead of smoking a cigarette. If you really want to quit the stinkies, NETs (and/or WTAs) might be worth trying ;)

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
Have you tried NETs? Set up a second mod/atty and fill it with some strong NET (Naturally Extracted Tobacco) like this: Balkan or this: Organic Spirit When you feel the need for tobacco, hit the NET instead of smoking a cigarette. If you really want to quit the stinkies, NETs (and/or WTAs) might be worth trying ;)
Thanks Ill look into that!

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
Awe you poor thing, it's only a minor set back. Tomorrow is a new day. That's the beauty of quitting smoking, there is always tomorrow to make a fresh new start. I am not surprised that you had a set back, it happens when you first try to quit, and don't be surprised if it happens a few more times. Just get up and knock the dirt off and start a new day. With each setback you will get better and better with each new attempt. Just don't beat yourself up or give up, keep fighting towards being smoke free. You can do this, it's just going to take time to get there. Just keep telling yourself how far you came, and how far you can go the next time. You get braver and go alittle further each time...that is still progress. You just need baby steps, heck most of us do. Like i said get up, have a good laugh, remember how far you got this time, and try again. Gotta remember you still have detoxed alot of crap over the time you haven't smoked so unless you keep smoking, your still on your way to lowering those toxins in your system. Everyday in life is a new start, just chose how you want it to end when you lay your head down on your pillow at night. Have faith in yourself.

Thank you for that. It happened again. I just finished some laborious work that needed to be done, and had to smoke during this process the last couple of days. Now things are more quiet and I can focus more on
exclusively vaping. Tomorrow I'm going to a birthday party and will only bring my vapes. Yay just received
flavours for DIY today, a flavour called Bro-nuts, and it smells good, cant wait to try it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread