News Report Cites Our Fourm--Slams E-cig Marketing and Assertion that E-cig is a Homeopahic Drug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Yes it can be done easily, specialy if you have "type diarrea" like that blogger, that site just sucks, a blog site presented as a news site, nothing good can come up from a site like that.

I do not like the link back to the Forum here--citing the Forum and using the posts and thoughts we throw out and around to one another seems very underhanded to me---Sun

Jhamer

Mar 6, 2009
Alberta,Canada
No matter what we write, they will go for the downsided threads. Bypass all the people here saying how much healthier they feel because they they haven't had a regular cigarette in weeks...months. They will go after the posts stating that they want to e-smoke to be able to bypass smoking bans and such. But yes, it is very underhanded.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
I added the following comment to that 'article.' I think it's a valid (nay, critical) point to counter the 'kid's appeal' argument.

What everyone (almost without fail) who thinks this is marketed (or appeals) to children fails to realize is that the initial purchase into the "e-cig" world costs roughly the equivalent of 2-3 cartons of cigarettes. You can't just decide to buy an e-cig vs your next pack of smokes. I don't know any children, very few teens, and some adults who can just drop the initial cost. If kids have that kind of money at hand, that sounds like a parental issue to me.

I just started a new thread about a NY Daily News piece on the ecig. The author made an interesting point about kids:

"No teen I know is going to make sure they put the cigarette in an overnight charger, go through the headache of unscrewing and replacing cartridges. How many do you think would shell out $60-plus for the starter kit?"

Electronic cigarette, or 'e-cigarette' may be a valid way for smokers to cut back

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
I just started a new thread about a NY Daily News piece on the ecig. The author made an interesting point about kids:

"No teen I know is going to make sure they put the cigarette in an overnight charger, go through the headache of unscrewing and replacing cartridges. How many do you think would shell out $60-plus for the starter kit?"

Electronic cigarette, or 'e-cigarette' may be a valid way for smokers to cut back

See my comment in the post above yours. I'm happy that someone finally pointed out what was obviously overlooked by just about every nay-sayer out there.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Here's my comment
Interesting take on the e cigarette. How do you feel about the Nicorette Inhaler, a primitive form of the electronic cigarette except that it is marketed and sold by Big Pharma. Because of its many side effects and overall nasty taste, it does not hold much promise as a cigarette alternative. The e cigarette, however, allows smokers to use a non tobacco alternative with no secondhand smoke and happens to come in flavors that help the smoker vape instead of smoke. Too bad the writer who visited the e cigarette forum cherry picked the quotes she took from the discussions there, focusing on the negative. As a journalist, perhaps you don't realize that one should present the positive with the negative for balanced reporting. Perhaps, that's why a search for your name finds that you write for anyone for bargain basement price. Your dislike of smoking clouds your judgment of electronic cigarettes and the people who have chosen them over tobacco cigarettes. As for those under 18, perhaps the parents of these kids should be watching what their children are spending their money on, especially when the purchase is well over $100, They might be in for a number of surprises.

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
I would contend that most of us know the difference and as for throwing this article together in a matter of minutes--that seems a bit impluasable as the Link to our Forum to some forthought---Sun

I knew this forum was going to be seen. I said a few days ago. It is so easy to find....and it's public! My fear is that some posts could be used against us.:confused:

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
The link to the story takes us to page 2 of 3 pages. This link will take you to page 1:
Misleading E-Cigarette Marketing Examined - Associated Content

"Spiders" have been here for awhile. Some threads have over 9,000 hits.

I would suggest the following:

1. Remove your personal photos. No one needs their health insurance carrier knowing who you are...

2. Close modders and DIY to public view, requiring over 150 posts to view the threads in those 2 sub-forums. And have all 150 posts reviewed by a moderator before the person is unlocked for viewing. Perhaps, the law section should be locked, too. But, definitely the DIY section.

taukimada

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Tullahoma, Tn
www.youtube.com
The link to the story takes us to page 2 of 3 pages. This link will take you to page 1:
Misleading E-Cigarette Marketing Examined - Associated Content

1. Remove your personal photos. No one needs their health insurance carrier knowing who you are...

2. Close modders and DIY to public view, requiring over 150 posts to view the threads in those 2 sub-forums. And have all 150 posts reviewed by a moderator before the person is unlocked for viewing. Perhaps, the law section should be locked, too. But, definitely the DIY section.

they ban my LED flashlights and somebody's gonna get hurt :shock:

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada

Well said, Monk..:thumb:

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Wow. Misleading is the article. Oh well. With links to chocolate and how to quit smoking products, it is exactly what she claims her article to be. Misleading E-Cigarette Marketing.

I find it interesting that the author apparently did not read my blog post at all. No where have I stated that the e-cig is a homeopathic drug, I simply asked "Why Not?" Oh well... The lawyers for several manufacturers and distributors have contacted me and they don't think that my idea is that far fetched. They see it as a middle ground where the eliquid would be regulated and taxed, but fairly and less than that of tobacco. Seems fair to me.

What is also slightly annoying is that in the same paragraph, the author refers appeal to age groups? Kind of confusing, but good "choose your own adventures" often can be.

Either way, I am going to have to give this article two thumbs up. Why? I will take free links any day! ;)

Heed

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
Dasein
People really need to relax about the forum -- it's a public discussion forum. Of course it will be looked at -- that's the whole point.

If someone wants to present something one-sided there's not much you can do about it other than close the forum completely to avoid it being used that way. All these calls for self censorship or locking down certain forums are not what make a healthy productive community. Hack journalism has been done before on this topic without reference to this miniscule corner of the internet -- and I'm sure it will be done again.

The proper response to this kind of journalism is to present your feedback calmly and rationally to the author or the author's superiors. Nothing will be gained by second guessing every post wondering if "they" will use it against e-cigs -- but things will be lost this way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread