The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Game over - "E-cigarette use doubles among U.S. teens"

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by ScottBrooks, Sep 5, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ScottBrooks

ScottBrooks Full Member

May 21, 2013
    Towson, MD., USA
    From USA Today:

"The CDC survey comes as the federal government is expected to announce, as early as October, its plan to regulate these battery-powered devices as tobacco products."

http:// www. usatoday. com/story/ news/nation/ 2013/09/05/e-cigarette-use-doubles-among-us-teens/2768155/

Time to stock up! :mad:

2. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Moved to Media and General News

3. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    And what are the actual numbers? From the CDC's report itself:

Doubling from 1.2 to 2.1% kind of reminds me of the claim of NRTs that they double your chances of quitting. Sounds impressive until you find out that without NRT you chances of quitting are only 3%.

Compare to the adult figures:

Awareness and Ever Use of Electronic Cigarettes Among U.S. Adults, 2010

It's difficult to do an exact comparison because different questions were asked.

And then, there is the voice of reason: Kids Are Trying E-Cigarettes. Everybody Panic! - Hit & Run : Reason.com

The question is worded something like this: Did you smoke (even one puff) during the last 30 days?
    A "yes" answer categorizes you as a "current smoker."

4. Maggiemw

Maggiemw Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 23, 2013
    Middle East
    I love misleading titles like that article. Just what is "doubles"? Did the number of users go from 1 to 2?

5. AgentAnia

AgentAnia Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

May 22, 2013
    Orbiting Sirius B
    I have this image in my head that there's a full-time government position (perhaps one each in FDA, NIH, and CDC) with a job title of "Statistics Spinner." There is an 87.3% probability that this is true.

ETA: Reran the figures. Probability is actually 94.8%.

6. Joeyjoe

Joeyjoe Moved On

Aug 19, 2013
    Canada
    Obviously the gears are in motion..this is disgusting propaganda..wasn't sure if i should try and stock up on nic..seeing as how i'm in Canada but quite sure "Health Canada" will follow FDA lead on this. BUT I am very happy to see the backlash these articles are generating from vapors..

7. gayhalo

gayhalo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 17, 2013
    Ross-on-Wye UK
    Is that your dog in your avatar. I am a breeder of Cavaliers in the UK.

8. Uma

Uma Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2010
    Calif
    I think you're all right on the money.

9. Joeyjoe

Joeyjoe Moved On

Aug 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yes, that's my boy Rocky Racoon..He's 15 pounds of love wrapped in fur ..:)

10. gayhalo

gayhalo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 17, 2013
    Ross-on-Wye UK
    Sorry everyone else.
    This is one of our boys Zak

Zac.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Pstarsr

Pstarsr Senior Member ECF Veteran

There needs to be regulation requiring age limits. Funny thing is all the sites I buy from ask you birthday info before even viewing. But we all know that doesn't stop much.

Regulation is coming on the nicotine content. I have no doubt

The article is like every other, small amount if info mostly misrepresented as something frightening

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Which doesn't work 50% of the time

12. AZHIGHWAYZ

AZHIGHWAYZ Full Member

Back to the topic

You know what's even more disgusting...not to be outdone by a scoop, the other media outlets are now posting their tripe to catch up.

What gets me is that they claim the e-cig industry is using celebrities like Stephen Dorf, Jenny Mcarthy, and Courtney Love to target teens into thinking it's cool. I could almost guarantee that 90% of TEENS don't have a damn clue who those celebrities are or that they are even celebrities for that matter.

13. tommy2bad

tommy2bad Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2011
    Kilkenny
  14. TyPie

TyPie Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    New Joisey (aka NJ)
    I find the timing of the CDC's "study" (I use the term very LOOSELY) is rather curious, dontcha think? (wink, wink.....the fix appears to be IN).

Do you think that the CDC and the FDA talk among themselves?

Edited to add: The tone and timing of these articles are just pathetic.
    OMG!!! How bloody SHOCKING!!!
    (I don't think anyone in the world would argue that e-cigs sales should be restricted to adults. Just as analogs are right now.)

15. vjc0628

vjc0628 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 23, 2013
    Maryville TN
    I would guarantee those kids are not getting it online as much as they would like you to believe they are impulsive and I would bet any amount of money there getting those ones you see in the corner shop

moreover in the article you have listed I looked at the video you see them asking a doctor and others questions to show eciggs might be safe and give the stern I don't know as if that's proof

even worse I see a lot of stuff like njoy and blue cigg actually pushing for these regs
    they sell there stuff in store they have big marketing budgets and are just trying to get the competition out of the way

Its a joke but I think we don't have a chance when the bigger ecigg companies are against us
    and they get away with this kind of propaganda making accusations with no proof

16. e-pipeman

e-pipeman Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Brown Edge, England
    At the end of the day the problem is money - big money - the money gained from tobacco tax and from NRT products.

There's a lot of hoop-la about government caring about our health. If that was the case tobacco would be banned.

Sadly this is all about money. :(

17. vjc0628

vjc0628 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 23, 2013
    Maryville TN
    exactly such a joke it just bothers me that people watch this stuff on the news
    and take is truth with no proof so swayed
    not just with this but with everything

18. AgentAnia

AgentAnia Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

May 22, 2013
    Orbiting Sirius B
  19. ElConquistador

ElConquistador Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    What this quote should say is “After we're finished with our e-cigarette regulations, many teens may be condemned to struggling with a lifelong addiction to conventional cigarettes.”

20. 2coils

2coils Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2012
    New Jersey
    The timing of this latest "survey" is suspect to say the least, as October is right around the corner. You are right about the backlash from vapers. Seems that since the "leak" reported by WSJ, in regard to the possible online ban, the media and legislative forum has been filled with ECF members. More so than I've see since joining. Looks like word is getting out and vapers are reacting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.