Game over - "E-cigarette use doubles among U.S. teens"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CactusRose

Jul 13, 2013
Lubbock,Tx, USA
I just saw a news segment about the effectiveness of the anti smoking ads, featuring smokers with trachs, amputees, etc., citing statistics of how many smokers quit because of these scare ads, and how much that would save in health costs. First, I am sceptical of their numbers. How could they be accurate? Next, they also said it added years of life to ex smokers. If they live decades longer, I doubt there's any monetary saving. Lol, yes is good to live longer, but it isn't going to save money. I trust no one!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I saw the same news segment. The CDC reported that the ads "caused" 100,000 smokers to quit and added over 300,000 "life years". That means each smoker would live 3 more years in their 70's and 80's? Whoopie. What about the remaining 40 MILLION who still smoke? (100k is just .025% or 1/4 of 1% of smokers.) How long will those 100k remain smoke-free a year or two from when the campaign ends? How many would have quit anyhow? (1.2 million smokers quit every year on their own, so adding 100k isn't much.) And I wonder how many of those 100k who "quit" are now actually vaping?

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Gotta love FOX. On the segment airing right now, she asked the doctor speaking on the CDC report "We've done several reports on e-cigarettes. How do we know it's the CDC ads causing people to quit smoking?" LOL!

And he just said "tobacco causes $100 billion in health care costs" (um...you mean SMOKING) and that tells you right there why Big Pharma is doing everything it can to keep smokers away from e-cigs! Not to mention recent articles about how reduction in smoking is negatively impacting revenue from sin taxes and the annual tobacco settlement payments.

Last edited:

CactusRose

Jul 13, 2013
Lubbock,Tx, USA
If they put this much effort into any negative ad campaign, they could demonize any group. It isn't right, no matter what your issue might be. Diabetics aren't compliant, who could be 24/7? What if they decided to target them, and increase their insurance premiums if they don't comply? What about obese people? They aren't compliant, who can be, 24/7? Every person has an issue, each one could be targeted and marginalized, based on how they media and the CDC choose to portray them. I am so mad and frustrated, and can't see how we can be heard.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
What happened to the like tab, cause I'm wanting to like these posts.

Use refresh, the likes well appear.

Another thing......Noting that we as Vapers have lots of misinformation that the government has spewed to use in a Law Suit. Hopefully someone can set this forward when and if needed. I trust all this data is being saved for such purpose.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Gotta love FOX. On the segment airing right now, she asked the doctor speaking on the CDC report "We've done several reports on e-cigarettes. How do we know it's the CDC ads causing people to quit smoking?" LOL!

And he just said "tobacco causes $100 billion in health care costs" (um...you mean SMOKING) and that tells you right there why Big Pharma is doing everything it can to keep smokers away from e-cigs! Not to mention recent articles about how reduction in smoking is negatively impacting revenue from sin taxes and the annual tobacco settlement payments.
WTG Fox News!!

CDC is trying to make their stats true, by killing everyone off via stress related illness's, whenever the word Tobacco is used, heard, or read.
Tobacco used to be the #1 stress reliever, and now, today, it is full of angst. Big Pharma, with their magic pills, will win one way or another on some of those statistics.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Tobacco used to be the #1 stress reliever, and now, today, it is full of angst. Big Pharma, with their magic pills, will win one way or another on some of those statistics.

Popped-into-head-thought: Yes, I used cigarettes to deal with stress. So I suspect did a lot of smokers. Could this be a case of misery loves company? Do the ANTZ resent the stress-reducing capability of "smoking" and now of "vaping"? Do they, fundamentally, want us to be just as angst-ridden and stressed-out as they are?

This is tongue in cheek... I think....

Nat79

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2013
Springfield, OR
Popped-into-head-thought: Yes, I used cigarettes to deal with stress. So I suspect did a lot of smokers. Could this be a case of misery loves company? Do the ANTZ resent the stress-reducing capability of "smoking" and now of "vaping"? Do they, fundamentally, want us to be just as angst-ridden and stressed-out as they are?

This is tongue in cheek... I think....

of course stress leads to depression witch leads to anti anxiety meds and anti depressants. if a safer and effective nic delivery system is allowed with out any real reason to tax the hell out of it(tobacco taxes are to try to cover the health care gap, adds for anti smoking, and programs to quit smoking, plus "admin costs on all of the above"+ who knows) what will al those who struck out to make the world better by tobacco control, and pharma do

Sent from my iPhone
and already breathing better

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

Good article....right up until the end when he says:

Nevertheless, I am in no way arguing here that regulation is not needed. Just the opposite. The FDA needs to step in and do everything it reasonably can to ensure that electronic cigarettes do not become popular among youth, and especially that they do not become a gateway to nicotine addiction and cigarette use.

The problem here is two fold. First, the way the FDA would try to protect the kids is by limiting flavors to those that taste like the rotten rear end out of a dead skunk. No more fruit, candy, or snack flavors. Second, NO ONE switches from eCigs to analogs it's always the other way around. The only way this would ever happen is if someone started with eCigs, got addicted, then suddenly eCigs were banned and unavailable.

dave8944

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2009
If they put this much effort into any negative ad campaign, they could demonize any group. It isn't right, no matter what your issue might be. Diabetics aren't compliant, who could be 24/7? What if they decided to target them, and increase their insurance premiums if they don't comply? What about obese people? They aren't compliant, who can be, 24/7? Every person has an issue, each one could be targeted and marginalized, based on how they media and the CDC choose to portray them. I am so mad and frustrated, and can't see how we can be heard.

Funny, but diabetics CAN'T get health insurance (it's a pre-existing condition). At least that's one group Obama-care may actually help. Sorry, I know this observation has nothing to do with the actual substance of your comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread