E-Cigs will never be Legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

m201

Jan 18, 2010
Arizona
I have been using njoy Ncig for just over a year (I was a 5-10 analog cigs-a-day closet smoker)... and have been using the:

NO-NICOTINE apple-flavor cartridges since my third week of vaping.

I found this forum because I was so frustrated when my 7th Ncig quit working that I did a search for 'ecig maintenance' and found my way here. THANK GOODNESS! I now have 3 of my Ncigs working again and have ordered two m201 kits with juice from Absolutely eCigs! because of the wonderful "M201 & 402: My dream e-cigs!" thread. (THANK YOU Thank You thank you to all of you e-cigarette-forum members ... you have helped me SO MUCH !!!)

My question: what about me?

pertains to the fact that I am vaping PG only -- using NO NICOTINE -- so how can the FDA or anyone else have the right to ban me from using my PV of choice???

The reality is that smokers have also been the scapegoat to pay for many many programs. In Wisconsin the state took the money that was won in the class action suit against big tobacco and used it for other things saying they would pay it back. This money should have gone to helping people quit and nothing else. I guess they figure we can quit in 10 years when they pay the program back.

m201

Jan 18, 2010
Arizona
Has everyone done the

10 Easy Ways YOU Can Help Fight The Ban!

this thread needs to be getting more hits!

Regarding:
2. Send an email to the FDA.
I sent the email on Feb. 17 and received this reply today:

Thank you for contacting the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
(CDER), one of the seven centers within the Food and Drug Administration
(FDA). Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate FDA office.

Best regards,

Division of Drug Information LC
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
Food and Drug Administration

For up-to-date drug information, follow the FDA's Division of Drug
Information on Twitter at FDA_Drug_Info

Every ONE who wants to vape needs to do at least this ...

ChipCurtis

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Every ONE who wants to vape needs to do at least this ...

It sounds like exciting and forward-thinking activism, but apparently you haven't been reading up on what the FDA has been doing over the last year on e-cigs. They've made up their mind already, they want it either banned or regulated as a drug-delivery device. Read up on their "tests" conducted in May/June of last year (and the false-alarm reports given to the press), read up on the SE vs. FDA lawsuit. At this point in the game, FDA will simply ignore all e-mail pleas from ordinary citizens (as they always have, anyway). Activism is good, but don't be naive about just e-mailing the FDA. Those e-mails will never be read. You probably received an "auto-response".

Even just e-mailing senators and congresspeople has had limited effect, except maybe at the state level. There have been some successes in California, perhaps Utah. But many states have been pushing for public bans and pretty much getting away with it. Sure, there are many ways to be politically active and make a difference, but the FDA is serious about wanting to ban e-cigs, and they only listen to lobbying groups that have lots of $$$$.

tpatterson

Unregistered Supplier
Feb 25, 2010
Arkansas
e-SmokeSupply.com
From strictly economic point of view, we find that the individual users of the electronic cigarettes are very impressed with the cost savings alone. When you add to that the fact that they are able to enjoy the flavor they have become accustomed to as well as still being able to get the nicotine, that is an added bonus.

From the health point of view, I completely agree with you. The other side of that is how my personal health has been effect by using the e-cigs. Being diabetic my doctor has been at me for years now to quite smoking. Using the e-cig provides me a way to still get my "fix" while at the same time making him happier.

DaShiVa

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Texas
You left one out, the morticians. Of course they are not a hugely organized conglomerate like pharma, healthcare and the taxman.

Hehe, it sounds like you think if people quit smoking they'll live forever.
Assuming that everyone quit smoking and switched to vaping today. and as such, lived 20 years longer, then there'd be a slight downturn in the mortician's business for 20 years, probably starting a few years out, but probably not big enough to notice, and then things would be back to normal as everything catches back up.

Assuming real life happens, and not everyone quits at once, and the 20 years is a less than accurate figure, it'd be a slight effect probably not even noticed over the other medical advances over the next 20 years.

Either way, I hightly doubt morticians really care about people quitting smoking.

Ajaxus

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
South Bend, IN
Plus the fact that many of our polititions have stock in tabacco, Pharmacology and other companies that will lose money if they become legal.

I could see many of those companies jumping into the e-cig market if they were legalized.

They make money off of nicotine, not tobacco. If they can get you addicted, they can make money. It's another product for them.

And not all smokers will magically switch over to e-cigs, many will stick with what they currently smoke. I see this as being a big opportunity for any big tobacco company that wants in.

Dion615

Mar 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
The economy works on competition. Anything to compete with cigarette companies will bring down the cost of cigarettes and then increase its consumption further which will keep cigarette-related illness even with today. Cigarette companies can refuse to ship their products to stores who also sell e-cig merchandise just as boar's head refuses to ship it's deli meat to delis that carry any other brand. There are always ways for companies to use their leverage against one another. I don't think that it will ever be necessary to make e-cigs illegal. Further, with the health care reform now under way, more healthy people will DECREASE taxes.

In the end, a good majority of the country would prefer to stick with their tried and true cigarettes and in the future I'm sure e-cigs will become the "....." way to smoke. I'd rather be a ..... than dead, though.

Tobacco products are legal. Judge Leon said that electronic cigarettes can be regulated as a tobacco product. Pass a law that says so or wait for the FDA to do it and e-cigarettes will be legal. (I'm leaning toward us pushing forward legislation cuz the only thing you can rely on from the FDA is that they will find a way to screw it up so we need to beat them to the punch)

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
yeah, I hate the idea of making them taxable but you know, at least I'd still get to vape. On the other hand, I sort of wish the FDA would do the real testing because then after they don't find anything, this whole issue could be put to rest. On the third hand, at least if they were considered tobacco products, we'd have the time to get some backing (ie: money) for real testing and be able to fight it at a later date. On the fourth hand (?), if the FDA found trace amounts of anything in the e-cigs we'd be sunk forever - but cigarettes would still be on the market.
That's the part that gets me all steamed up! How could they ban PVs and leave cigarettes on the market???? I agree with the doctor in the video, it should be all or nothing. At this point, don't get me wrong I love vaping, but the only solution I can see is all or nothing.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I don't get people being worried about taxes. How did you ever believe for a second that they wouldn't be taxed in SOME way?

Either way, a taxed cigarette is still cheaper than a nicotine drug.

A cigarette is 35 cents, tax included. A Nicotrol cartridge is $1.05!!!

If ecigs are declared drugs, they will be 3X more expensive than if they are taxed as tobacco products.

Additionally, the FDA has nothing to do with taxes and each state taxes differently for different tobacco products. Cigarettes are taxed higher than other tobacco products. Ecigs are NOT cigarettes any more than a cigar or chew is. if a cigar is taxed less than a cigarette, then ecigs could easily follow suit.

In order for these to be taxed at the same tax rate as cigarettes, they'll first have to be declared tobacco products. Then each state will have to figure out the overall sales of ecigs, price points, etc. in order to determine what they can tax them. Finally, they have to pass a law to initiate the new tax. Because they would be a reduced harm tobacco product, the chances are high that they won't be taxed as severely as cigarettes.

So, as taxed tobacco products, the prices will most likely still be more affordable than cigarettes and 3 times less than gum, patches or inhalers.

So quit freaking out over taxes!!

dk2

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
cheers
I think taxing them is fair, however if they are not as dangerous health wise as cigarettes Vapors should demand that they be taxed less than cigarettes as the strain on the health care system isn't the same as the strain caused by combustible tobacco (in Canada). Smokers have had to endure large and aggressive tax hikes as legislators and non smoking public could always fall back on the argument that smokers are draining the Health Care System's resources; with ecigs the same argument can't be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread