eCigs to be on CBS The Eearly Show - today 2/27

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
From a legal/FDA perspective I understand and agree. From a people-like-Whiteson-and-Chen perspective, I think their comments would be even worse if it wasn't marketed as a cessation product. Consider the public vaping posts. We know there is less hassle when we say, "it's my inhaler to stop smoking". Saying "it's my smoking alternative" falls pretty flat.

By submitting to the "it's my inhaler to stop smoking" comments, we do exactly what the anti-smoking campaign wants us to do and that is quit smoking or admit that we are ashamed by our habit. Why should any of us have to hide who we are and what we like to do?

RatInDaHat

Peace, I'm outta here
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
here is my response. Tasdad posted a very similar response right after i posted mine.

For those who would like to be a little more informed than the news will enable you to be... Here is a link to a study conducted by Dr. Murray Laugesen on the Ruyan Electronic Cigarette.
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport30-Oct-08.pdf

To say there are no studies supporting the safety of the product is just bad research on the part of the Dr. and the journalists. Dr. Murray is probably the best informed expert on the safety and effectiveness of e-cigs. Have a read and open your eyes.

-Dustin-

Tasdad

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
Pittsburg, KS
Great minds, eh Rat?

Here's my response:

If anyone is interested in the results of the testing that this doctor says has not been done on this vapor, please visit http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport30-Oct-08.pdf .

The main ingredient, Propylene Glycol, has also been tested as a vapor in the 1940s. Time magazine did a story on it. Air Germicide - TIME

Anyone who objectively watches or reads this story will see that the doctor had a clear objective to discredit these devices. Please do not trust this story.

Please do not allow one doctor's obvious agenda color your perception of a wonderful device that has helped many people. From a personal perspective, I literally could not speak an entire sentence without going into a coughing fit before switching to these devices. Now I can breathe freely. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night struggling for a breath. There is no doubt in my mind that these devices saved my life.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
agreed. Most of the positive comments were all personal experience ones, we were the two that pulled out the research that should have happened with the story.

Maybe Chen didn't have time to do any research... Isn't "Big Brother" Season 97 starting soon? :D

Rat and Tas make excellent points.

ejfan1977

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Kingston, Washington
Actually Lacey, I acted out emotionally. It was a knee-jerk reaction and it just really irritated me to see the way Harry and Julie were acting about it. It did not look like objective reporting when they behave that way. Okay... I'm getting upset again... I think I will go get another cup of coffee and top off my cartridge. (happy times!)

skullsoup432

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2009
Michigan USA
When I saw the post about e smoking and the Early Show I rolled my eyes. I knew what the Early Show would do. I haven't watched it yet, I'll come back and update after I see it if need be. Not to step on toes, but all (or most) of these "news/living/information" shows are to powerful, to opinionated. They are selling a TV show, not an unbiased look at things, including vaping. To many people give these shows credit as the truth. I personally hate H Smith. This guy is a ...... If he doesn't like something he will do his best to sabotage it. Not just him, but many of these host do the same, making faces, adverse reactions and body language. Some people take what they say as gospel, including my mother!
These information shows are not unbiased and neither are there "expert" guest. To many people don't think for themselves anymore. They see stories on TV and believe it.

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
I tried to post a response to the story, and it said I had succeeded, but for some reason it won't show up.

I decided that posting the Summary from the Health NZ study was a good idea, but the text might have been too long and exceeded the character limit....that is my only guess as to why my post didn't show up.

I will repost it here....would someone else please copy/paste and see if they can make it work?

Summary

Aim.
This report aims to assist regulators in initial assessment of the safety of the
Ruyan® e-cigarette and its cartridges, and the possible risks and benefits from permitting
its use.

Method.
Health New Zealand Ltd contracted with seven leading government, university
and commercial laboratories in New Zealand and Canada to independently perform
various tests on the Ruyan cigarette’s nicotine refill cartridge.

Findings.
Ruyan® e-cigarette is designed to be a safe alternative to smoking. The various
test results confirm this is the case. It is very safe relative to cigarettes, and also safe in
absolute terms on all measurements we have applied. Using micro-electronics it
vaporizes, separately for each puff, very small quantities of nicotine dissolved in
propylene glycol, two small well-known molecules with excellent safety profiles, – into a
fine aerosol. Each puff contains one third to one half the nicotine in a tobacco cigarette’s
puff. The cartridge liquid is tobacco-free and no combustion occurs.
Competency.

The author has authored or co-authored over 30 research papers and
reports in national and international scientific medical journals since 1995, on smoking,
and latterly on testing of cigarettes and cigarette substitutes.
Untitled Document

Financial disclosure.
This report is funded by Ruyan.

Disclaimer.
Apart from research Health New Zealand derives no financial benefit from Ruyan.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Actually Lacey, I acted out emotionally. It was a knee-jerk reaction and it just really irritated me to see the way Harry and Julie were acting about it. It did not look like objective reporting when they behave that way. Okay... I'm getting upset again... I think I will go get another cup of coffee and top off my cartridge. (happy times!)

i honestly didn't read emotion from any of the comments. They were all well written and made their points clearly. but yes...top that sucker off and take a deep drag! :)

I just decided to take the plunge and try out esmoking this week, so I've been doing some reading up on the subject both here and other places on the internet. One thing I've noticed is that lots of the people opposed to the ecig like to say is that we don't know what's really in them. While this is true, I would think that a PhD from a major university would have access to a chromatography-mass spectrometry machine (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GC-MS) Gas or know someone who does, and could do a little better than "we just don't know".

One of the other things they point out, like Dr. Whiteson is that "there's no proof that these cigarettes are safe...they are made in China." With all the news of tainted products coming out of China, this fact gave me a bit of pause. But if you think about it, we've had salmonella popping up in everything from broccoli to peanut butter produced in this country. But the whole Chinese thing got me thinking about other products we use every day that are made in China and we just don't realize it. That led me to this little tidbit: "Thousands of manufacturers in China supply about 50 percent of the ingredients for prescription and over-the-counter drugs made by pharmaceutical companies in the United States." - transcripts.cnn. com/TRANSCRIPTS/0711/03/hcsg.01.html

Sorry - can't post links.

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
My comment:
"I agree with the previous posters, that was a very biased interview, and quite unfair to what is becoming the best alternative to smoking to date. This technology is VERY capable of converting smokers away from a very deadly habit, which is something that can not be said for ANY of the cessation methods, or drugs, currently available on the market today.

"The Doctors" had a segment recently on this exact subject. They were incredibly impressed with the technology. Perhaps Dr Jonathan Whiteson could view that, and do a bit of research on the subject... and maybe you could have him back for a followup after he's picked up a few facts on the topic. There are several studies available with a few Google searches, plenty of lab reports...

My own family physician was equally impressed, by the way. She actually did research the product after I showed it to her, and said it's the best thing she's seen for smokers yet.

Here's a nice place to start learning:
University of Alberta School of Public Health FAQ on E-Cigs:
http://www.tobaccoharmreduction.org/faq/ecigs.htm#90 "

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
One of the other things they point out, like Dr. Whiteson is that "there's no proof that these cigarettes are safe...they are made in China." With all the news of tainted products coming out of China, this fact gave me a bit of pause. But if you think about it, we've had salmonella popping up in everything from broccoli to peanut butter produced in this country.

Exactly. And you know what is worse about this peanut butter infraction? 12 times that peanut butter was tested and came back with salmonella and they STILL served it to the masses. Salmonella outbreak: What you need to know

They hung the guys in China for adding melamine to milk... I wonder what will happen to the ones who "overlooked" the test results here in the US? A penthouse suite and a slap on the wrist, that's what.

See... what's happening here is that the anti-smoking campaign can't really demonize the e-cig. It's a wonderful product and they know it, tested or not. It eliminates second hand smoke and that has always been their main argument for why smoking is so bad, especially around children and in public settings. So what are they doing?... they are attempting to scare us with this anti-China propaganda.

I just had a lady call today who saw the CBS news this morning and she said it was apparent the doctor was on an anti-smoking mission so the e-cig obviously had to be wonderful! LOL!

nakli_dhumrapan

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2008
Illinois
www.jnanam.net
CBS Television Network

51 West 52nd Street

New York, NY 10019

Main Number: (212) 975-4321

We should all call or email theearlyshow@cbsnews.com to have them retract or correct the statements made today.

I wrote an email to complain about the lack of responsible reporting in this piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread