Electronic Cigarettes vs Personal Vaporizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
When talking to non smokers I refer to my eGo as either a personal vaporizer or nicotine delivery device. When in the company of smokers I refer to it first as an electronic cigarette.

I never use the common terms used in this forum - "vaping" and "analog" as I feel they are inaccurate in the second case and and bespeaking counterculture newspeak in both cases and thereby counter productive if one ever wants pv's to be accepted by the general public. Besides all that I think those same terms are ridiculous whatever the case.

SlimXero

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
Seffner, Florida
In point of fact, the term electronic cigarette would be a misnomer if applied to my Silver Bullet, which contains no electronics of any kind. Even the type that employs an LED and the circuitry to make them flash when the battery expires are electronic only to that degree; electronics have nothing to do with powering the atomizer or producing vapor.

Even more so, 'cigarette' is a misnomer. Analog cigarette's consist of paper, tobacco and a filter (or lack thereof). PV's lack all of those features, as well as smoke, acrid smell, etc. The only thing that PV's and Analog's have in common is nicotine, general shape (although not always in the case of juice Boxes, etc), and method of delivery (which is only similar best, as smoke and vapor are very VERY different). You wouldn't call dip "shredded cig's" or "paperless cigs". You wouldn't call a pipe a "wooden/glass cigarette". I agree 100% we should steer away from the "e-cig" terminology. The only time i ever refer to them as e-cigs is the first time i introduce the item to a friend or coworker. "What is that? One of them fake cigarettes?" my response: "Not fake, electronic. It's actually a personal vaporizer and blah blah blah."

Just my $0.02

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
When talking to non smokers I refer to my eGo as either a personal vaporizer or nicotine delivery device. When in the company of smokers I refer to it first as an electronic cigarette.

I never use the common terms used in this forum - "vaping" and "analog" as I feel they are inaccurate in the second case and and bespeaking counterculture newspeak in both cases and thereby counter productive if one ever wants pv's to be accepted by the general public. Besides all that I think those same terms are ridiculous whatever the case.

I can't argue with the inherent inaccuracy of analog, but to the extent that counterculture implies that we're in opposition to the larger culture, I'd argue in favor of subculture. As for newspeak, the implication is deliberate deception, whereas the truth--as I see it--is the use of an accurately descriptive verb for what we're doing. And we ain't smoking. For the same reason--but approached from the opposite direction--that analog is objectionably inaccurate, vaping is equally proper.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Maybe its just me but i really feel like if these had been marketed from the begining as PV's instead of using the word "cigarette" would have given this whole market a lot less problems with the FDA and big tobacco and such. Granted they probably wouldn't be as popular as they are now but we'd probably get a lot less grief about them....You guys agree with me??

Good point. cigarette sounds too tobacco-ee. How about vapor sticks.

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
I can't argue with the inherent inaccuracy of analog, but to the extent that counterculture implies that we're in opposition to the larger culture, I'd argue in favor of subculture. As for newspeak, the implication is deliberate deception, whereas the truth--as I see it--is the use of an accurately descriptive verb for what we're doing. And we ain't smoking. For the same reason--but approached from the opposite direction--that analog is objectionably inaccurate, vaping is equally proper.
FWIW, the last time I checked "vape" is not an accepted verb in any widely recognized dictionary that I know of. Therefore it is invented newspeak to me. I can't quite picture myself telling non-ecig people that what I'm engaged in is "vaping".

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
FWIW, the last time I checked "vape" is not an accepted verb in any widely recognized dictionary that I know of. Therefore it is invented newspeak to me. I can't quite picture myself telling non-ecig people that what I'm engaged in is "vaping".

Personally, I do it all the time. I have no problem countering the misconceptions people around me have, even in the language used to do so. The English Language is a living organism; any dictionary--widely recognized or otherwise--is a static, inanimate object, and they're always a step behind. I can't wait around for them.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
In point of fact, the term electronic cigarette would be a misnomer if applied to my Silver Bullet, which contains no electronics of any kind. Even the type that employs an LED and the circuitry to make them flash when the battery expires are electronic only to that degree; electronics have nothing to do with powering the atomizer or producing vapor.

The electronics in the battery contain a voltage regulator circuit that controls and maintains the voltage at a certain level (3.2-3.3vdc in a 510 or Ego). That allows the atomizer to maintain a relatively even temperature from charge to discharge of the battery.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
The electronics in the battery contain a voltage regulator circuit that controls and maintains the voltage at a certain level (3.2-3.3vdc in a 510 or Ego). That allows the atomizer to maintain a relatively even temperature from charge to discharge of the battery.

Every party just has to have a killjoy...

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Personally, I do it all the time. I have no problem countering the misconceptions people around me have, even in the language used to do so. The English Language is a living organism; any dictionary--widely recognized or otherwise--is a static, inanimate object, and they're always a step behind. I can't wait around for them.

In full recognition that tbe English language is ever evolving, still and all I will continue to consider the term ridiculous and counterproductive to the image we might want to display in order to achieve acceptance amongst the non "vaping" public. We might disagree on terminology but at least neither of us are smoking. I can hear it now, "ebony and ivory...., forever in perfect harmony".

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
In full recognition that tbe English language is ever evolving, still and all I will continue to consider the term ridiculous and counterproductive to the image we might want to display in order to achieve acceptance amongst the non "vaping" public. We might disagree on terminology but at least neither of us are smoking. I can hear it now, "ebony and ivory...., forever in perfect harmony".

That's not what I hear...I'm told nothing but Are you still smoking those things, or you haven't really quit smoking, you know...

Slea

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Tennessee, USA

Erm, what do you think makes it go, then? Electronics have everything to do with powering the atomizer and producing the vapor.

I've always preferred electronic cigarette, it's to the point, and people immediately grok what you mean. If they'd been PVs, I'm, sure I never would have found them in a Google search as I did.

Superbals

ECF Veteran
I agree finding them would have been much more of a shall we say challenge?? I just don't like as someone said the tobacoo-y kinda sound to ecigg and think it obviously gives it a negative light. I don't really like calling a PV too much either just cuz i don't like the way it sounds for some reason (same with vaping....doesn't sound as cool as smoking i guess idk). anyways i just think for the good of the cause we need a better name for these lol

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Erm, what do you think makes it go, then? Electronics have everything to do with powering the atomizer and producing the vapor.

I've always preferred electronic cigarette, it's to the point, and people immediately grok what you mean. If they'd been PVs, I'm, sure I never would have found them in a Google search as I did.

There's a fundamental difference between electrical and electronic.

Rykk

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Florida
"Personal Vaporizer" sounds, to me, like one of those steam producing jugs my mom used to run in my room when I was sick and makes me think of the Vicks VapoRub she rubbed on my chest and covered with a hot towel. Sort of a pretentious name, imho, and sounds also like maybe some medical device for someone with emphysema!

I've always called it a "Vaporette" (or "Vapourette" if you want to get fancy and euro-like - lol) since I started a year ago and the action of using it I call/called "Noking", which is short 4 "Not Smoking". My boss always says to me, "Noke em' if you got 'em" and in the restroom, I get to sing the old Brownsville Station song, "Nokin' in the Boys Room" - lol. "Vaping" just doesn't roll off the tongue so well...imho...
C-ya!
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread