Ever Had an Analog Surprise Quiz test? I did... I Passed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
So, a a couple of weeks short of my 3 month analog free anniversary, I see two young ladies leaving my next door neighbor's house. The fact that they were very good looking is I suppose besides the point, but somehow seems worth mentioning for embellishment.

Shortly thereafter, I take the dog for a walk. There it was... a 3/4 full fresh pack of Marlboro's laying on the street where they had parked their vehicle. Oh... how the temptation came over me. I was a 3 PAD. I had quit analogs overnight with my V4L starter kit. I know I am the type that could go back all too easilly. No "test" analogs for this ex-smoker, I know better than that.

I looked at the pack. The dog pulled, as though warning me, yet I could not move, I was fixated on the object of my hatred. Although my urges are far less frequent, and very managable, I can still get them. Here was my chance. It would be oh so easy... a free pack of butts. Who would know? I shivered, and walked away, afraid to even touch them.

The next morning, there they were, still pristine, still inviting, still seductive. My mouth actually watered. I rushed past the pack. Why didn't I just step on them? I dare not touch them! The next day, incredibly, there laid the pack, still dry, still there.

Thankfully, by the next day, they were gone. I once posted here a thread about MY particular addiction, knowing that I am NOT the type to can dip my toe in that water, yet, there I was, on the verge. In retrospect, it was a wierd way to handle the temptation I think. I could have just stomped on the pack, but could not. I even hoped they would be there the next day.

I don't know the point of this thread, other than to just perhaps share this experience with others. It really did test me. Maybe I really am off the analogs forever. If I never take another puff, I can never return to smoking. That is my battle cry. I won this battle, and I found it to be bigger than I thought it would be.

People have seen me vaping outside of my workplace, and I've handed out at least 4 V4L cards. I've told them how I went form 2 1/2-3 PAD to zero overnight, and I think some of them will take the challenge. It is a battle worth fighting.

Ever passed a test like this one? It was perhaps my toughest yet. Keep vaping, and live.

Bogey

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2011
I had a similiar situation the other night. We have a friend that visits now and then. She was one of those occasional smokers and would always bum my smokes when she was here. Well I had been vaping for a few days when she came to visit. She brought a pack with her (my brand) thinking I was still smoking. It was HARD. She would go out to the porch and smoke and I really was tested not to go. I vaped heavily, but made it though the test. However, the worst part was that she left the pack HERE! I stared at it on the counter and almost broke. My wife (oh I how love her) saw me staring at the pack and quickly took it away. It was hard, but did it. Congratulations on how you handled you test!

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
Congrats Nomatches sir on leaving them there. Long time no see, where have you ben hiding out at? :)

Thanks for noticing, Morandir sir! Yes, I have been quite busy and preoccupied lately. A new job, new stress and less time.

Bogey, I understand... although I have a friend who stops by and smokes (outside) I accompany him, but even then the temptation for me was not great. It was when I was alone, and faced down with this lost pack of analogs that it really tested me. You were only a few days in, that I would think made it much more difficult. Your wife is a caring and alert friend! Bless her!

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
Thanks... 2/10/11 is a date I shall never forget, a day I thought could never come, an impossible goal, yet, through a fantasy football forum I heard about ecigs, found V4L, and the miracle happened, the ONE who could never beat tobacco did beat tobacco.

This test only has served to further my absolve to never ever go back. My urge for nicotine is still very strong, but vaping satisfies me and the nicotine addictition well enough to beat these challenges. I still would like to start lowering my 36mg stuff, but, in time, in time... I am off the analogs, and I'm not ready just yet to start reducing.

Patience in this case is a virtue I think. It's like planting a veggie garden, it takes time and patience. The biggest battles have been won.

Snow, I'm hard core and I know it. Addicted to Chesterfield non filters in the womb, I've been addicted since the moment of conception. Getting off nicotine will take some time and patience. The fact that nothing else worked but vaping did is testament enough. I just wish our government could wrap their stupid heads around that fact. Patches, gums and drugs don't work for people like me. Vaping does. In their delusional and crooked tobacco and drug company influenced views, they think taking away the most effective smoking cessation tool should be banned. Do they know or even care that banning ecigs would kill people? Ah well, old ground. Government for and by the people.... LOL.

plantlvr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Northern California
Wow, I guess it's true about how all us smokers are addicts, but different.
I had two packs of cigs, sitting on a table in my garage, for months, and never had a desire to smoke em when I started vapin.
Took me quite a bit longer to get off the other 'fun' stuff back in the day, but I still have my beer and a shot after work habit, and I'm not going to stop any time soon :laugh:

PS- Congratz to you both for not burnin the nasassty cigs!

Last edited:

popeye79

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2011
WA, USA
I'm proud of you! But you're stronger than I...

My wife still smokes on occasion, so they're always here. I've been having one every couple of days with her. And every time, the second I light up, I think.. "yuck, why am I doing this. It tastes so gross". And yet, there I stand, smoking it all the way down to the but. Funny thing is I have no urge, not even when friends light up. It just nice to get away from the kids with her, out in the garage. I know I could just vape with her, I can't explain it. I just take one and join her.

Damn I wish she would quit. :(

Nev

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2011
Las Vegas
I have that same problem Popeye...my roomie smokes. I found that if I take my PV outside with me I am okay....I just need to get away for a minute or 10. I do the same thing at work. Even though I can vape in the break room, I never really felt like I had a break unless I went outside....so out I go....and now it's okay....

Congrats NoMatches! I get that same urge (like when I get gas)...I can buy a pack, no one will know....then I realize it's just a mind game I am playing with myself. I lose if I light up :)

Codyh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Northen Michigan (TC) USA
Somehow with my wife still smoking a pack a day, and a few of those in the same room every day. I haven't had any inclination to light up.

yeah there's always that hmmmm. but I just can't do it i can breathe so much better now.

ATM im out of my liquid of choice, and im just sitting here vaping through random juice everything from tobacco the hella cinamon "fried apple im not fond of" and there's still a freshly opened pack of camel menthols on the table.

My theory is its harder for a non menthol smoker to switch and not want analogs, just because the tar taste can't be replicated by e-cigs.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I also live with a smoker..but he doesn't bother me unless we are in the car..I have to roll down the window and vape like crazy..just to block the smell! It's hard on the "do: too! He does try not to smoke when I am in the room or in my dining/office..but after 55 years he can'tquit..he started at 10 years old!

You guys are doing great with the temptations...keep it up!

Who_Wants_To_Know

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Good for you NoMatches. I have about a half a pack of Marb Lights sitting in my garage. I found them by accident when I slipped on my winter jacket for the last time about 3 weeks ago. I really don't have an urge to smoke them, but I can't bring myself to throw them out.

With how expensive those were I don't blame you. You should lock them up then resell them when their market value rises.

Nomatches good job on avoiding those smokes and congrats on three months. You did well great you should be proud :D. I have had my mindset about smokes almost totally changed now because of e-cigs. They just seem silly now compared to e-cigs. A paper imitation compared to a nice solid battery and carto or tank.

Amy41996

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, United States
awsome job on avoiding......everyday i go thru those tests uuuggg...i smell a cig, and i urge....but dont get one...i have slpped but got to vaping immediately the cigs tasted real nasty, and i love my tobacco flavors better then the "real" tobaccos :)
good job...think it will be a long journey for a lot of us
i go thru days still that i want a cig now and have a temper tantrum..happened last nite,,,,,didnt do it....i look for any reason to go back...but i havnt
OCD Girl here lolol but 4 1/2 months with out ciggs,,i am sooo happy happy happy....i smoked 3 packs a day smoked for 30 yrs and i have to accept that these urges will come my way
goood job to u did,,,iknow it wasnt easy :)
:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread