Feb 23, 2010
upload_2017-10-21_8-5-56-jpeg.694929

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Firefox had yet another update (73.0.1) and now my Logitech M705's scroll wheel doesn't scroll with it.
rPGa26q.gif

Long and checkered history of issues with Logitech gear and Firefox

I use the M275 which comes as part of the Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo MK345 set

Heres one thing i never do: install the logitech software (or browser addons)

Unless you have a fancy keyboard or mouse with multi function button or keys you need to reprogram, then theres no need for their software, its just bloat anyways...and the only other thing its useful for is to give you battery levels, and yours like mine has an LED in it that will give you battery status....

Without the logitech software your PC will detect it as an "HID compliant mouse" (which is the most basic mouse possible) and should work fine, no matter what program youre in.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Long and checkered history of issues with Logitech gear and Firefox

I use the M275 which comes as part of the Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo MK345 set

Heres one thing i never do: install the logitech software (or browser addons)

Unless you have a fancy keyboard or mouse with multi function button or keys you need to reprogram, then theres no need for their software, its just bloat anyways...and the only other thing its useful for is to give you battery levels, and yours like mine has an LED in it that will give you battery status....

Without the logitech software your PC will detect it as an "HID compliant mouse" (which is the most basic mouse possible) and should work fine, no matter what program youre in.
Tell me about it. I really detest Logitech software and I don't run it as often as I can get away with it. And worse, depending on your Logitech device, like my M705 mouse, you need SetPoint plus another one called Logitech Wave Options. Without Logitech Wave Options, the middle button doesn't work. And SetPoint doesn't do anything with the M705 and won't even detect it.

Now my Logitech gaming mouse G903 which costed $150, can't use SetPoint or Logitech Wave Options, but Logitech Gaming LGS software instead. And this one never detected my G903 which I never got to use since I got it. Probably a good thing in the long run since the internal lithium battery only lasts 24 hour per charge anyway. :(

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Tell me about it. I really detest Logitech software and I don't run it as often as I can get away with it. And worse, depending on your Logitech device, like my M705 mouse, you need SetPoint plus another one called Logitech Wave Options. Without Logitech Wave Options, the middle button doesn't work. And SetPoint doesn't do anything with the M705 and won't even detect it.

Now my Logitech gaming mouse G903 which costed $150, can't use SetPoint or Logitech Wave Options, but Logitech Gaming LGS software instead. And this one never detected my G903 which I never got to use since I got it. Probably a good thing in the long run since the internal lithium battery only lasts 24 hour per charge anyway. :(

Its insane isnt it, i had been away from Logitech for a while when i bought this combo (which has stellar battery life and the only reason i bought it), got home plugged in the transceiver and thought "hmm, wonder if theyve managed to finally sort out the software and put both mouse and keyboard controls in the one program?". 3 minutes later the answer came, no. As you say one program for the mouse (SetPoint), and one for the keyboard (Logitech Options for mine), and just both bloated still.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
HID Compliant is a USB protocol to where all USB mice and keyboards are compliant. This is written into the BIOS of a computer but the OS could add extra functions (the Windows key on a keyboard as an example). For mice, the first 3 buttons should be functional, left/right click and middle. These are actually number 1 to 3 respectfully. Any additional buttons (4 and up) will require a driver but the OS may provide basic functions. Windows defaults buttons 4 and 5 as browser forward and back buttons.

So if your middle mouse button (button 3) is not working without a driver, the problem is elsewhere. I’ve used the M705 driver/software free for many years – all buttons functioned as they should.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
So if your middle mouse button (button 3) is not working without a driver, the problem is elsewhere. I’ve used the M705 driver/software free for many years – all buttons functioned as they should.
Oh the Logitech M705, middle button works with and without Logitech Options. It just defaults to something else than a middle mouse click without the Logitech Options software. :(

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Oh the Logitech M705, middle button works with and without Logitech Options. It just defaults to something else than a middle mouse click without the Logitech Options software. :(

I don’t understand - it is working as it should. Modifying button 3 will require a driver. It’s default functions will be dictated by the OS or the application you are running.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Kensington Expert Wireless Trackball was my answer to all these problems. [There is a wired version also.] It is ambidextrous so I can use it with either hand alternating weeks reducing repetitive stress. The software seems fine to me. The batteries are replaceable AAA and last a long long time. I never noticed a problem with the numerous Windows 10 updates, FireFox 73.0.1 64 bit, Thunderbird, WordPerfect or Microsoft Excel. These are most used programs.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I’ve used a number of Logitech mice in the past, can't recall ever having an issue after an OS or software update. Setpoint is legacy software that was replaced by Options for their general mice lineup. Options may not be compatible with older hardware and Setpoint may not be compatible with newer.

Browser developers (Firefox, Chrome etc) do modify the scroll input. We can see this by comparing FF to Chrome when scrolling a web page. The scrolling on Chrome is awful IMO. So I can see how a FF update could break this function.

The Logitech Gaming software is exclusive to their gaming lineup of mice. Logitech obviously felt it was beneficial to develop different software for their gaming line up which does offer additional features over their general lineup. I agree with this decision.

Have used both the G900 and its evolution G903. Great mice, but in order to combat some of the known deficiencies with wireless mice, such as latency, different transmit/receiver and sensors were required which do consume more power. Add in a small battery so that they keep the weight down (weight is very important to a gamer), and you have poor battery life. All wireless gaming mice of the time that were at least on par with the G900/G903 suffered from the same poor battery life. Further development has improved battery life.

My only gripe with the G900/903 was premature switch failure. Both are plagued by the infamous double click issue.

Users who are viewing this thread