Extreme burn from new coil. Joytech Penguin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
Sounds like you actually melted the plastic coil holder. That was one dry coil
Reading through her posts I was thinking that she had burnt plastic going on. Makes a dry hit look like a picknick. She primed the wick and let it sit. The thing should not have done that. I am not familiar with that mod or tank set up but it seems to me the power is dialed up way too high or some bad arcing going on in the coil for some reason. She should not be going through coils that fast.

Mandy88

Oct 3, 2014
British Columbia
Sounds like you actually melted the plastic coil holder. That was one dry coil
I have no idea.. But I'm frustrated. I just started vaping again after it not working for me 4 other times over many years. Just wish vaping would work for me.
Back to the store to waist more money. I've contact Joytech. I have never had to contact a company about vaping will be curious if anytiing can come from it

Reactions: stols001

Mandy88

Oct 3, 2014
British Columbia
Ye
Reading through her posts I was thinking that she had burnt plastic going on. Makes a dry hit look like a picknick. She primed the wick and let it sit. The thing should not have done that. I am not familiar with that mod or tank set up but it seems to me the power is dialed up way too high or some bad arcing going on in the coil for some reason. She should not be going through coils that fast.

Yeah this was nothing like a
normal dry hit. It was awful,
and now that same smell is on the plastic. Seems like something is not working right. I can't even try it again. The smell of that plastic insert instantly makes me feel sick. Sounds dramatic but it's true.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
@Mandy88 I have no experience with your rig but from years of using a Kanger Evod I can tell you that once you burn the silicone insulators in a coil (If your set up uses them) you can not get that taste to go away. The coil is trash. I would say, and you are not going to like this, that it's just the wrong set up for the type of vaping you are trying to do. If you are burning through coils that fast I am taking a complete guess that you like long slow draws. You can't do that with a tank that uses a tiny coil. The thing will superheat on you and start frying things. You will need something with a larger build in it.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have no idea.. But I'm frustrated. I just started vaping again after it not working for me 4 other times over many years. Just wish vaping would work for me.
Back to the store to waist more money. I've contact Joytech. I have never had to contact a company about vaping will be curious if anytiing can come from it
Following this thread as I understand it anyway newer penguin coils have problems.
(To quote various other people who posted)
The problem was reported as an issue where they wanted to fix a leak issue so they wound the cotton in the coil tighter. The result was worse than the problem. Penguin coils now need a lot of babying to wick at all.
The new method of changing a coil:
1 make sure your pod is full
2 poke two holes with a pin in the top and bottom of the exposed cotton on the coil head
3 thouroghly wet the cotton with juice
4 prime the well which is a little hole behind where the coil sits with about 2ml of juice
5 insert the newly witted coil and let it sit for 20 min

On the whole imho not worth the trouble. Get a better device.

Mandy88

Oct 3, 2014
British Columbia
Thank you all, I appreciate all the help and feedback.
What I wanted when I purchased this, what a mtl tank that can handle high Vg (100%). I have been looking for something like that for a while.
Honestly I prefer a simply mtl evod or Protank 2. Lol I haven't evolved much. But realize they don't work wth high Vg. So I gave up on them awhile ago.

The store recommended this for mtl and high Vg, but I actually started doing more Dl and didn't mind it so I kept going with that. I guess my options are more open now. I just don't like a warm vape.
I'm very out of the loop on everything that is available now. It seems it used to be more simple. But I will start researching.

But I agree, it's not worth the trouble. I like something that is easy and simple to use.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Mandy88, are you looking for high VG for a particular reason? I am sensitive to PG and use very high VG mixes in my juice. I put a drop or two in my tank of distilled water when needed, and that helps thin the vape. If your preference is still high VG, you could still be using your old equipment. I started with a Nautlius 2 and that's really not designed for high VG. If you like long slow draws, what I do to help with consistent wicking is keep drawing a few seconds AFTER I release the fire button, and that wicks juice up into my coil consistently-- I never get dry hits.

If you want more VG for more clouds, I think there are better setups out there for you than the penguin, especially if you've used other vape equipment. You could look into getting a true sub0hm setup, there are some good, reliable models out there, fairly inexpensively especially if you don't want to do TC.

Good luck!

Anna

3daysNcounting

Apr 25, 2017
Anna, just chiming in on the pg sensitivity... OMG what a nightmare! (makes me super itchy) I made a Beard 32 diy juice and I think I had issues with Cinnamon flavor as well as the pg.

Anyway, I LOVED my Penguin but gave it to my partner because I got a starter squonker kit. Sort of changed my vape style...

Mandy88, are you looking for high VG for a particular reason? I am sensitive to PG and use very high VG mixes in my juice. I put a drop or two in my tank of distilled water when needed, and that helps thin the vape. If your preference is still high VG, you could still be using your old equipment. I started with a Nautlius 2 and that's really not designed for high VG. If you like long slow draws, what I do to help with consistent wicking is keep drawing a few seconds AFTER I release the fire button, and that wicks juice up into my coil consistently-- I never get dry hits.

If you want more VG for more clouds, I think there are better setups out there for you than the penguin, especially if you've used other vape equipment. You could look into getting a true sub0hm setup, there are some good, reliable models out there, fairly inexpensively especially if you don't want to do TC.

Good luck!

Anna

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
@Mandy88 what ohm coil have you been using? I'm wondering if the 0.25 coils are lower causing overheating. It wouldn't be as noticeable in the 0.6. Usually I have the most issues when the mod is fully charged also, so I'm thinking it could be poor quality control letting bad specs through. 3 of 5 in this pack so far were garbage. I need to try some 0.6 coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread