Extremely frustrated....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjmdrumz3

Jun 13, 2013
Oklahoma City
Alright, so after vaping 3 new tanks for the last day here is my initial assessment:

I must confess that 2 different juices were used. A tobacco flavor in the MT3 and Mini Nova, and a monster flavor in the SmokTech.

MT3 is not for me. Similar draw to my Evods, but has a plasticky taste with stock (2.4 I think?) head. A 1.8 head produces a burning flavor for me at only 3.9 to 4
volts. Yuck.

The Mini Vivi Nova isn't a bad tank at all. No leaks, only gurgles when I overfill. Vapes ok. Not as warm as my Evods but not as cool as the ProTank. Vapor production is ok. Nothing to write home about. Flavor is good. I'll be keeping this tank to use on occasion or to swap flavors on the fly. Decent tank and might try the full-size for more capacity.

The SmokTech dct cartomizer tank is my favorite so far. The draw is a little airy for my liking but not as bad as the ProTank. I'd say the warmth is about the same as the Mini Nova, maybe a touch cooler. Vapor production is middle of the road, not great, but not bad. Flavor is awesome. I'm pretty impressed with this tank. It will probably be my "go to" for flavors outside of tobacco. I may even try some of my tobacco flavor in it once I get replacement cartos. Considering the supposed life expectancy of the cartos as well as replacement cost, this may be the one.....for now ;)

All vaping was done with stock heads unless otherwise noted. Voltage was 4.0 volts. I'm going to experiment a little more. I'm a happy vaper today.

Last edited:

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
Do remember to check out other parts of the forum for tip & tricks and other specific how 2's when you find yourself in the "not a happy vaper today" mode. ECF has quite a few areas dedicated to repairing or improving a device that just irks you from time to time.

Glad to read that today is much better for you!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Just a thought for those having a lack of vapor problem on the vivi nova.

I just started using the knockoff one I got from fasttech today. It didn't leak at all but I was getting almost no vapor on my ego battery. SO I took it apart. It turns out it shipped with a 2.8 coil on it. No way my little ego battery was going to put out enough for that coil. Swapped the vivi over to my vamo and it is going great.

Some times it IS the little things.

MikeyPanoz

Verified Member
May 25, 2013
Illinois
I'm a fairly new vaper myself and from what would say is you just got some bad products and a bad experience. I've been vaping with halo for about 3 weeks now and I absolutely love it. Everything is simple and it just works. i started with 2 xl g6 batteries and ive already ordered back ups of those as well as a VV triton kit. All of their products and just incredible and worth the money. They are priced extremely well for the quality as well. good luck with your vaping man i hope it sticks.

I've been vaping since Nov '12, and I went through the exact same process you did. Started with eGo stuff and Vision tanks, but couldn't get enough throat hit. Upped my juice to 24MG, still failed the throat hit. Put in lower resistance wicks, boom - throat hit. I'm golden, right? No. The wick/coil assembly wore out on those after only a few days to where I was constantly fighting dry hits and burned vapor. I was replacing wicks about every 4 days and the last 2 days I was just ....... Then came the BCC tanks. Greatest idea to hit the vaping world since, well, ever. Problem was I started with a VapeOnly BCC and had unbelievable problems with leakage and gurgling, but I was bound and determined to chase the 'always-wet-wick' theory until I found something that worked. I bought a 'TABAC BCC', which is really just a T3 knockoff and uses the same wick/coil assembly. That was and still is my go-to vape. I would highly encourage you to give your T3 another shot, except take that little silicone cup in the top of the coil and turn it upside-down. It'll allow more juice to the wicks, but still won't leak or gurgle. Also, you mentioned getting a hot vape when you changed to a 1.8 ohm coil. The 1.8 ohm coil is made specifically for batteries that are fixed at 3.7V. Anything more than that and your risk of popping them goes through the roof. If you're using an adjustable voltage battery, set it at or near 3.7 and adjust on .1v increments to suit your taste. The trick, really is not in voltage or ohms, but wattage, which is volts x volts / ohms. (3.7vx3.7v/1.8ohms=7.6W) A battery mod like a VAMO or a SVD or EVic or something similar will allow you to set the wattage you want to vape at and make all the adjustments for voltage and ohms for you. No thinking required, just the same vape from the first draw until your battery runs out. I bought my VAMO V2 about 2-3 months ago, and it's the best thing I could have done. The good news is that they're getting really cheap on FastTech.com now. The bare V3 is going for about $40 right now, and the complete kit including the batteries, charger, and a Vivi clearo is right around $60 if I'm not mistaken. The bare V2 is around $30, and the bare SVD is about $40. I set my VAMO at 7.5 watts and don't even bother checking the ohms on my coils anymore. Now, for the ProTank. That's been a source of a lot of frustration for me too. It seems like they hit really well for about a day or two, then the flavor and vapor density just goes in the tank. I've tried cleaning the coils, and adding or removing wick material, but nothing seems to bring them back to the first hits. When it hits right, though, I LOVE the flavor, because the glass tank just gets out of the way and lets you taste nothing but your juice. I hit one of those exclusively for about 2 months, but just last week went back to an MT3, and I'm back to getting WAY more vapor again, and coils that last upwards of 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I think those coils are not long for this world, because the smaller EVOD/Protank/T4 styles are going to be taking over. I was on a site yesterday (can't remember which one) that had a bunch of T3 style tanks on clearance because they said that the coils are not going to be made any more. Other sites still stocked them, but I can't help but think they're on the way out.
You mentioned having spent upwards of $200 on gear since you started. How much would you have spent on smokes in that time? WAY more than $200. That's how I justify my eternal quest for the perfect vape... I'd have to spend a whole lot more than I am to even come close to what I would have spent on smokes. My wife even smokes in the house and the car, and I haven't had one since December. I've taken hits off hers every few weeks, but I give it right back because it just tastes like ..., and I remember again why I quit to begin with.
I'm definitely going to reseach some more about how dudes are making the ProTank work for them, but for now, I'm rockin my MT3 and lovin' it! Good Luck, dude!!

kjmdrumz3

Jun 13, 2013
Oklahoma City
1.8 you should keep between 3.3 and 3.7

I tried it at 3.5 and I don't get the burning plasticky taste, but it wasn't as warm as I like it. The 2.4 was better. Maybe I'll try a 2.2 and see how that tastes. Also correction to a previous statement that I made: the SmokTech is warmer than the Mini Nova.

Angiebubs

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2013
Amery, WI
I have been using e cigs for over a year now and quit smoking pretty easily. I started with disposable one (very short term) and moved to eGos for the past year. Then went to fasttech.com and ordered a Vamo Vivi (waiting on pins and needles for it to arrive) and discovered how much I was over paying at the mall kiosks!!! I was just dripping on an atomizer (had tried a tank and didnt care for it) but recently switched to the iClear16 and viola!!! no drips, leaks, etc what a difference! Good luck!!!

hellcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
GA
stick with it. sometimes you just have to roll with the good and the bad. I vaped on and off for nearly 4 years before I started having a consistant vaping experience. Although, I must say I have bad vape days, hell, I still have bad vape weeks where nothing I have works the way I want it to. I can't tell you how much money I have blown on crap that doesn't work or works well for 2 days then craps out. I totally understand your frustration and I know the last thing you want to hear right now is you should buy this or that. I am right there with you, I was frustrated and ready to put my head through a wall or run out into the street screaming.

I went back to analogs several times and for very long periods before I saddled up again with pvs. Don't lose hope. I came back and sought the help of ecf and I am 95% of the time a happy vaper. As far as the gear that you have, the RBA's are a totally different animal, but once you get it down you should have a good reliable vape. The problem is getting it down quickly. At this point in time I think I have mastered rebuilding vivi nova heads but every other RBA I have I get an average of 1 out 5 builds not tasting awful and getting good performance. Funny thing is, I am pretty sure I am building it the same each time but apparently not, so.... back to the drawing board and continue to find a rebuild method that works for me. As far as the evods, I am not surprised you are having issues. Now there are people that swear by them but, I hang out in my local brick and mortar a lot and it seems like every time I turn around someone is getting a head replaced because they had issues as soon as they walked out the door. I could be wrong but it seems there are a lot of bad heads floating around. I would definitely second the notion on the vivi nova should you decide to try another wick system. They always get me through when nothing else will work for me that day. I would use them exclusively but I am a vape geek and can't resist having different atty/tank/clearo setups. It is true that trial and error is the name of the game until you find what setup best works for you and your vaping style. Just know that you always have support here and guaranteed if you ever feel like smoking a cigarette out of desperation, I am sure if you posted an S.O.S you would have several responses in minutes talking you down from the ledge. We have all been there... keep trying and eventually, you'll find a sweet spot.

hellcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
GA
oh yeah, one more thing. I have spent a lot of money on e cig gear, but for the times when I am smoke free, I do save money. Even more now that I make my own liquid (its not for everyone, and can be just as frustrating as finding the right gear), but I digress. I don't know how much you smoked but I spent an average of $1200-$1500 a year on cigarettes as a pack a day smoker. There is no way that I come anywhere close to that with e cig supplies and I am a chain vaper. Rebuilding has also helped me greatly. I am just days away from my 6 month anniversary (the longest I have quit ever!) and I don't see any signs of ever going back to analogs. just stay steadfast and you will make it to the other side.

kjmdrumz3

Jun 13, 2013
Oklahoma City
Quick update...

I have been using all the tanks over the last week or so, and I keep going back to the pro tank over and over again. I can't believe that I hated this thing when I first got it. It has warmed up a bit, but the flavor still isn't quite "there". I like all of the tanks, and still use my Evod a lot, absolutely LOVE the flavor, warmth, vape, etc.
In order of preference now: Evod/Protank, Vivi Nova, SmokTech, MT3. Thanks for the patience, understanding, and motivation! I haven't had an analog in 18 days. That's the longest I've been since Basic Training, didn't really have much of a choice then lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread