Favorite pod system 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I really liked the Penguin for a while. Especially when using pure tobacco flavors. It was nice and airy just like an ultralight cigarette. Fit in my shirt pocket nicely and weight was similar to a pack with a BiC lighter inside. I had no real reason to stop using it. But shinyitis took hold and it got shelved.

After trying modular devices and associated tanks for a while I kept thinking I shoulda stuck with the Penguin. The Dolphin kept giving me dry hits (with 70% vg) until I poked a hole in the wick, but then a flooding air chamber began.

For max flavor from fruits and vegetables the Penguin is lacking, but for NET tobaccos it's great. The 0.6 coil seems to be the best balanced as the .25 was too hot and the 1.2 kept giving weak production with my style of vaping like a cigarette drag.

After becoming frustrated with vaporizing tank systems on modular devices I discovered the Renova Zero and never looked back. But if I'd not joined ECF and been plagued with shinyitis I'd probably still be enjoying the Penguin as an EDC.

For times I want to smoke but vape instead I pull out the Penguin with Black Note Prelude (VA tobacco) and take a few drags. For times when only a tastey fruit gum-like flavor will do the Zero takes care of that easily.

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
I just picked up a Voopoo VFL. This little thing is great. I like it much more than my Orion for MTL. I like the Orion for DL, but it just doesn't work for MTL. The VFL gives a great MTL hit especially when you use the pre-heat function.

Attachments

• 20190112_171140.jpg
    20190112_171140.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 28

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
I know Juul gets a lot of bad press and its expensive to continually buy the pods, but I have to give it my vote.
45 year smoker, years as a dual vape/cigarette user and I haven't touched a cigarette since switching to the Juul last 4th of July weekend. I never thought I'd see the day when I could stop cigarettes and not even consider going back.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
'Round here the Juul gets bad press, but they went from a novelty to giant for good reason. They are a pretty good alternative to smoking. Some kind of fast acting something or other in the sauce that mimics the absorption of tobacco smoke that nobody else uses (yet).

Reputation is every pimple faced kid in America is puffing on one in the bathroom but in reality they are mainly used by adult smokers.

Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I know Juul gets a lot of bad press and its expensive to continually buy the pods, but I have to give it my vote.
45 year smoker, years as a dual vape/cigarette user and I haven't touched a cigarette since switching to the Juul last 4th of July weekend. I never thought I'd see the day when I could stop cigarettes and not even consider going back.
Yeah, there's a lot of hate on Juul, even here on ECF. But if you do some research, you'll see they did it right. They did tons of testing on nic salts in different formulations, trying to mimic the nic uptake of a cigarette, and succeeded. And they did a lot of testing on the optimum temperature, and even the pressure required to take a hit. Blood tests, heart rate, satisfaction surveys, the works. And it obviously worked. It may not be perfect for everyone, but it works better than most that have copied them.

Glad it's working for you!

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Me? I can't stand a Juul. Nothing to do with reputation, big money company or any of that. I just don't dig on the flavor, the hit or the vapor production same as Cue, Bo and other cig-a-like systems.

But if they work for others, Bravo!! :thumbs:.
I never liked Dale Earnhardt, but respected the man's ability enough to invest in his collectables back in the day. Feelings and finances should remain separate.

I'm just waiting for some things to shake out regulation-wise to see if big brother will crush Juul into submission or allow them to continue. My hope is they squeeze enough to cause Juul to move away from marketing tactics like they did Marlboro and Camel.

Juul has entered the AM radio talk show market, which is a money maker. Like the platform or not, those folks raise revenue for their advertizers. Again separating feelings from finances it stands to reason Juul will profit from their decision to pay talk radio show hosts into touting them. Plus there aren't too many pimple faced kids listening to the Rush Limbaugh show during the school day.

If Juul keeps people away from cigarettes and isn't loaded with things just about as bad...again, I say "Bravo" :thumb:.

It seems pod systems will become the dominant form of nicotine vaperizers if they haven't already. That is certainly not good news to big tobacco. If the FDA made them only available at places where liquor is sold that may help cut back on teenage vaping. I see too many so-called vape shops catering to kids who use illegal things in them. To me, that is the scurge not being addressed. But I'm lucky enough to have some responsible vape shops within a reasonable drive from home. :cool:

One not so responsible 'tobacco' store opened up within walking distance of my home. He carries just enough tobacco products to be legal. He literally had one carton of several popular brands of cigarettes and some loose tobacco poducts on one wall. The rest of his shelves were packed with glass, grinders and gizmos for those who partake in illegal products. And display cases were packed with every shiney item made by Smok. Oh, and what looked like a million bucks worth of e-juice.

No Juul or other devices aimed at smoking cessation. I left the place after like 3 minutes and put out the word to everybody who'd listen to avoid that guy.

Sheperd80

Dec 24, 2018
Suprised there are so many fans of the Renova Zero. I love the size, shape, battery life, juice capacity, etc but none of that matters because it has almost no flavor for me. Ive tried several juices with different vg/pg blends, different nic strengths etc and i just cant get a tasty or satisftying hit. I had a similar experience with the Vladdin RE so im starting to think its the ceramic coils. Both devices are now in that dusty box of vape garbage. :-(

Back to the infinix for my out and about device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: tdman77

raqball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
I have a Juul somewhere... Think I even have a few pods for it in stash... Got it about a year ago and only used it a few times. Nothing wrong with it and it's a decent pod system but the pods are ridiculously expensive.. I think each pod is like .7ml of juice so a 4 pack = 2.8ml of juice for $16? Seriously?

Also have the LV Orion. Like it as well but it has it's own quirks..

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
I have a Juul somewhere... the pods are ridiculously expensive.. I think each pod is like .7ml of juice so a 4 pack = 2.8ml of juice for $16? Seriously?

If you go by the amount of juice then the empty pods you buy for the Orion are a complete rip off since they have none. ;) :D Lots of companies are selling empty pods for as much or more $. The Juul is also refillable.

I've gravitated away from high nic and low output since my goal is to reduce and eventually quit vaping. But I still like the Juul as an emergency backup. If I have a strong urge to smoke, I'd use the Juul instead of a cigarette. I haven't used the Juul at all in maybe 6 months or so. But it takes up little space and its there if I need it.

But, I keep hearing about how good the Infinix is, that I may need try one.
I'm not big on salts.
How do you Infinix lovers like it with with freebase?

Someone posted photos showing that the pods had been revised-- he thought for the worse. I stocked up on the pods early and haven't bought new pods so my experience may not be up to date but I posted some thoughts here:
Smok Infinix

spaceman84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
North Carolina
I loved the tinyness of the Juul. Wish any of their juices were [for me] any good.
So far, it's the Orion. But, I keep hearing about how good the Infinix is, that I may need try one.
I'm not big on salts.
How do you Infinix lovers like it with with freebase?

Infinix pods use a 1.4ohm coil. Not sure that's enough power for low nic freebase. Won't make big dense clouds, but I don't know what kind of coil you have in the Orion or what strength juice you like.

Reactions: newyork13

raqball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
If you go by the amount of juice then the empty pods you buy for the Orion are a complete rip off since they have none. ;) :D Lots of companies are selling empty pods for as much or more $. The Juul is also refillable.

I didn't even know you could refill the Juul pods. How many refits to you get per pod? With the Orion I get about a month per pod....

I used the Juul as a out and about vape for a few weeks then gave up on it. Just found it and I have 2 of the starter kit pods left. Can't complain as I got the starter kit (Juul, charger and 4 pods) for $1 during some sale they were having..

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
I didn't even know you could refill the Juul pods. How many refits to you get per pod? With the Orion I get about a month per pod....

I used the Juul as a out and about vape for a few weeks then gave up on it. Just found it and I have 2 of the starter kit pods left. Can't complain as I got the starter kit (Juul, charger and 4 pods) for $1 during some sale they were having..

As I wrote previously, I haven't used it at all in over 1/2 year. It's been nearly a year since I used it regularly and refilled a Juul. But I think you're just trying to make a point that you get more use from the Orion. Preferences vary greatly. I would not want to use a pod for that long without at least replacing the cotton and cleaning every week. I said that early on in the Orion topic. A lot of the used coil photos make me cringe--haha! I like a fresh coil and that is the main reason that I use rebuildables mostly--the cost of replacing the coil and cotton is pennies and I change it as often as I want with no worries. I don't own the Orion since I am a MTL vaper and it seems better suited for other vaping. But if they design a new MTL pod, I would be interested in it.

Reactions: Foggy Road

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans

I've gravitated away from high nic and low output since my goal is to reduce and eventually quit vaping.

I switched from RDAs to the pod to consume less liquid and still get my nic. Was going through a 60ml bottle of 6mg juice in a week. Now I'm using less than half of a 30ml bottle of 25mg juice a week. High wattage means more vape and more toxins being inhaled.

How is the Orion a rip off? Pods last 4 to 5 times longer than any Juul pod and 30ml of juice is $11.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
How is the Orion a rip off? Pods last 4 to 5 times longer than any Juul pod and 30ml of juice is $11.

I don't think the Orion is a rip off. I was teasing about a hole in his argument. See smilies.

I have no doubt that the Orion pods last longer than the Juul pods even though the Juul pods can also be refilled. But people have different ideas about how long pods last. I would not want to use the same pod for more than a week unless I can clean it and replace the cotton.

I switched from RDAs to the pod to consume less liquid and still get my nic. Was going through a 60ml bottle of 6mg juice in a week. Now I'm using less than half of a 30ml bottle of 25mg juice a week.

I vape 2ml per day regardless of whether I use a pod or a RBA. And I vape the same amount of nicotine in both. 2ml is more volume than the Juul (0.7ml) but not as much as the volume used by some sub ohm vapers.

High wattage means more vape and more toxins being inhaled.

Do you have much expertise with toxicology? What is the chemical analysis of the crud on a coil/cotton after 1 month without cleaning? I have never tested it. But I also wouldn't assume that it is okay just because the taste is acceptable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread