Status
Not open for further replies.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
If the deeming regs really do end up being as bad as the whispers we're hearing I wonder how everyone will react once the dust has settled and vape liquids and possibly devices become hard to get a hold of and smoking rates go back up because they will go back up. The ecigs sold by BT won't be enough to keep the smokings rates from climbing. What then? I don't think that's something many will be able to ignore. I'm thinking there's gonna be an uproar and I don't think the ANTZ will be blaming the evaporation of the vape industry as the cause of the uptick in smoking, they're gonna have to come up with something good for that one.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
If the deeming regs really do end up being as bad as the whispers we're hearing I wonder how everyone will react once the dust has settled and vape liquids and possibly devices become hard to get a hold of and smoking rates go back up because they will go back up. The ecigs sold by BT won't be enough to keep the smokings rates from climbing. What then? I don't think that's something many will be able to ignore. I'm thinking there's gonna be an uproar and I don't think the ANTZ will be blaming the evaporation of the vape industry as the cause of the uptick in smoking, they're gonna have to come up with something good for that one.

That's easy--they'll just say it was vaping that created all these new smokers ...

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
That's easy--they'll just say it was vaping that created all these new smokers ...

It would be kind of hard to prove a gateway affect when the very thing they're blaming is absent and the whole time it did exist rates were down. They won't be able to deny the rise in smoking rates occurred after vaping was done away with. Just watch, the rates for teen smoking will definitely go up. This is going to be very interesting to watch.

Reactions: skoony

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
It would be kind of hard to prove a gateway affect when the very thing they're blaming is absent and the whole time it did exist rates were down. They won't be able to deny the rise in smoking rates occurred after vaping was done away with. Just watch, the rates for teen smoking will definitely go up. This is going to be very interesting to watch.

Yes, I know smoking will go up. And I think they're going to then argue that vaping got all those teens addicted to nicotine, and then they turned to smoking when vaping became unavailable. They're never going to admit a mistake, even in the face of otherwise reasonable evidence. But, hey, that's politics. Right?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
They're never going to admit a mistake, even in the face of otherwise reasonable evidence. But, hey, that's politics. Right?

Right.

To the public and survivors:
"It's the video!"

To PM's of Egypt and Libya (and daughter)
"We know the video had nothing to do with it."

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Yes, I know smoking will go up. And I think they're going to then argue that vaping got all those teens addicted to nicotine, and then they turned to smoking when vaping became unavailable. They're never going to admit a mistake, even in the face of otherwise reasonable evidence. But, hey, that's politics. Right?

Well, that didn't take long ... just found a new article on Fox News that implicates e-cigs as starting off new teen smokers. I won't bother with the broken link--it's easy enough to see on the front page.

Reactions: LaraC

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Well, that didn't take long ... just found a new article on Fox News that implicates e-cigs as starting off new teen smokers. I won't bother with the broken link--it's easy enough to see on the front page.

Reuters - everyone is running it - HuffPo, CBS, NBC - I think it's the AAP story just posted here a few days ago.

Reactions: LaraC

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
lol Yep, AND just after the other study proved just the opposite. The sciencedirect thread by SJ.
I wouldn't say "proved just the opposite" - but it certainly made the case for no existing detectable gateway effect - which is now explicitly stated by UK gov.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I wouldn't say "proved just the opposite" - but it certainly made the case for no existing detectable gateway effect - which is now explicitly stated by UK gov.

'Prove' is a bit strong but did you see my comments in that thread? And the quotes - certainly 'suggests' that - ie. IF you accept method/math, etc. I was going to list you in the people who might not buy into it but since you posted it, I thought I'd give you a pass. :lol:

Access to e-cigs associated with Decrease in cigarette smoking in adolescence

Access to e-cigs associated with Decrease in cigarette smoking in adolescence

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
I speculate and keep speculating... This process is just one first step. The steaks are high, the growth of vaping products are exponential, inversely proportional to cigarette products. Even pharmaceutical NRPs or psychoactive drugs, like Chantix, own by big Pharms like Pfizer are taking heavy and progressive hits... First, lets take away the business from small companies by imposing heavy regulations; second lets the large corporations BT, Pharma take over this business who are used to comply with FDA regulations and also great at escaping from taxes. Third, highly financed publicity, new products labels even new marketing concepts away from cig (no more ecig label) a bit like medicines "may cause airways irritation, insomnia, some have shown allergic reaction to PG... talk to your doctor about our products and live a cig free long life... blalblablablablabla... The greediness of the top % is off limit and they can pay to get what they want, hypocrites, addicted to profit even if that means the death of others. I speculate and keep speculating further... Who knows how doing so may impact their credibility...

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The Golden Era is coming to a close. It was (still is) a great era, but we all knew this wasn't going to last.

You favor a ban to minors? Then expect that to come bite you in the rear end. To act all surprised that it is not going to affect adult use and that the under regulated golden era is going to last forever makes me say, "welcome to ECF newbie, enjoy your stay!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread