Status
Not open for further replies.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Never said it was not a natural component, just Man Made cellulose.
But I see I got everyone thinking! :laugh:

Nothing wrong with buying a Sampling to see if it is something of interest. However Hyping a $1 Bag of Cellucotton as something new and High Tech might be going overboard. Man made Cellulose has been around for over a century.

I went the review route and when the Thread hit 50 pages of good to great reviews I new it would be a good investment.

One Warning - Dry hits can lead to MELTED Wicks. Nope this wood don't burn - It melts to nothing - I Know for a fact.:facepalm:

RGLP4Lyfe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
PA
I went the review route and when the Thread hit 50 pages of good to great reviews I new it would be a good investment.

One Warning - Dry hits can lead to MELTED Wicks. Nope this wood don't burn - It melts to nothing - I Know for a fact.:facepalm:
^ im alittle confused.. are you talking about this fiber freaks? Or are you talking about regular sallys rayon? I love rayon my box from sallys barely has a dent in it and i rewick every two days because i can.. so if your talking about rayon how did you manage to "melt" a wick!?!

My love- Kawa Reo LP w/ TRA SL door & LokiLab Odin.. Mmm Mmm

Ponchik

Nov 16, 2014
^ im alittle confused.. are you talking about this fiber freaks? Or are you talking about regular sallys rayon? I love rayon my box from sallys barely has a dent in it and i rewick every two days because i can.. so if your talking about rayon how did you manage to "melt" a wick!?!

My love- Kawa Reo LP w/ TRA SL door & LokiLab Odin.. Mmm Mmm

Does rayon wick better than Japanese cotton? Thanks a lot in advance.

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
Never said it was not a natural component, just Man Made cellulose.
But I see I got everyone thinking! :laugh:

Nothing wrong with buying a Sampling to see if it is something of interest. However Hyping a $1 Bag of Cellucotton as something new and High Tech might be going overboard. Man made Cellulose has been around for over a century.

It's not man made cellulose. It is cellulose, a natural not man made product, turned into a fiber by man. And it burns. Does not melt. Nothing melts away to nothing.

Last edited:

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Both have their advantages.. i think rayon wicks faster, slightly. But the Japanese(kgd) lasts longer than rayon..

You think so? My rayon builds last several weeks without a problem. Someone gifted me some Japanese-style cotton pads, but I just haven't had the heart to use them. Maybe I'll try them some day. I really should, but rayon just works so well.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
It is lyocell rayon aka tencel. That goes back to the beginning of the rayon thread.

They claim its a new wick but its not. They didn't read far enough in the thread to see its not as good as standard rayon. All they did was "card" the tencel into a sheet. Other than that, its tencel top.

I do not care for lyocell/tencle, it doesn't seem as pure as standard rayon. The lyocell process is not as good imo has a funny taste to me.

Rayon was created in Europe. Lyocell is made in Europe... Oh yeah European cellulose is not special.

Fiber freaks wick is viscose/rayon made by lenzing

Last edited:
Reactions: memnoch

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
It is lyocell rayon aka tencel. That goes back to the beginning of the rayon thread.

They claim its a new wick but its not. They didn't read far enough in the thread to see its not as good as standard rayon. All they did was "card" the tencel into a sheet. Other than that, its tencel top.

I do not care for lyocell/tencle, it doesn't seem as pure as standard rayon. The lyocell process is not as good imo has a funny taste to me.

Rayon was created in Europe. Lyocell is made in Europe... Oh yeah European cellulose is not special.

Fiber freaks wick is viscose/rayon made by lenzing

So, is it viscose, or lyocell? Two different processes.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
It is quite confusing.

Lyocell still produces viscose just different chemicals used. There is no positive benifit with lyocell in the end product.

It was only easier to dispose of the byproducts back in the old days. Today they repurpose the byproducts of rayon production to other industries.

The same basic principals apply between the two, only difference is the chemicals to produce a cellulose chain.

I believe the lyocell type is not as pure, based on taste. I was the first to get tencel/lyocell type rayon.

Viscose is the liquid cellulose mix before its run through the spinneret.

Tencel - Viscose produced with the lenzing chemicals.

More confused yet? Lol

Its been so long since I've talked about tencel.. But I have plenty of documented posts on it early in the rayon thread.

Last edited:

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
It is quite confusing.

Lyocell still produces viscose just different chemicals used. There is no positive benifit with lyocell in the end product.

It was only easier to dispose of the byproducts back in the old days. Today they repurpose the byproducts of rayon production to other industries.

The same basic principals apply between the two, only difference is the chemicals to produce a cellulose chain.

I believe the lyocell type is not as pure, based on taste. I was the first to get tencel/lyocell rayon.

Viscose is the liquid cellulose mix before its run through the spinneret.

Tencel - Viscose produced with the lenzing chemicals.

More confused yet? Lol
Tencel is just a brand name of lyocell. It's the same thing. It's still made from chemically melted cellulose before being run through the spinner. Viscose is the same thing made with harsher chemicals. It's not the liquid.
Btw, I'm not confused at all. But someone is.

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood

Yes, that's what you should read. Slowly and carefully.

Viscose vs. Lyocell

What differentiates these two methods is simple. There are approximately 13 different toxic chemical solvent processes in the Viscose Rayon (Bamboo) method. There is only one solvent in the Lyocell (Tencel+Plus[emoji769] Eucalyptus) method; and the FTC has recognized the Lyocell solvent as “a non-toxic solvent and in that process is almost 100 percent recycled and reused.” Additionally, with every stage of processing comes further energy and water savings.

Last edited:

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
Rayon or "Cellucotton" is a man-made product derived from a natural substance. It is neither purely natural or synthetic. It is made from taking cellulose (usually wood pulp), and treating it with chemicals until it resembles cotton in texture. Cellucotton literally means "looks like cotton".

Rayon is not cellulose; It is derived from cellulose

abpigdoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Alpharetta, GA USA
Tencel is just a brand name of lyocell. It's the same thing. It's still made from chemically melted cellulose before being run through the spinner. Viscose is the same thing made with harsher chemicals. It's not the liquid.
Btw, I'm not confused at all. But someone is.

STILL like it in my Rose, but the Erls are just wonderful with the Sally's...always a pleasure, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread