Fiber Freaks - a new wicking option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
Well, it may not be the Graham Cellucotton, but it sure looks and sounds like it's rayon. And rayon is made in many forms; pads are quite common.

Wait, I can get Japanese style rayon? Who wants to buy my last few pads of koga, lol.

I haven't been able to locate any on amazon. Do anyone know what term I should search for? Thanks.

imind

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2012
cleveland
^ im alittle confused.. are you talking about this fiber freaks? Or are you talking about regular sallys rayon? I love rayon my box from sallys barely has a dent in it and i rewick every two days because i can.. so if your talking about rayon how did you manage to "melt" a wick!?!

My love- Kawa Reo LP w/ TRA SL door & LokiLab Odin.. Mmm Mmm
mine "melt" all the time...i will put a sold piece in and when i go to change it three days later, i have to pull it out of both ends of the coil because it separates/"melts" in teh middle...i've stated the same in the rayon thread that i have no idea how someone is getting weeks of use out of one wick...i have no choice but to change it every 3-4 days...and yes, i have the correct stuff...bought from sally's and confirmed the product number...

2-2.5 ohm coils at roughly 5 volts on a provari in a fogger v2.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
mine "melt" all the time...i will put a sold piece in and when i go to change it three days later, i have to pull it out of both ends of the coil because it separates/"melts" in teh middle...i've stated the same in the rayon thread that i have no idea how someone is getting weeks of use out of one wick...i have no choice but to change it every 3-4 days...and yes, i have the correct stuff...bought from sally's and confirmed the product number...

I have had the middle of a rayon wick burn to where there were only the tails before. It sure as hell didn't melt. It is caused by a dry hit. A small coal develops inside the coil, if it is not quenched immediately with juice it will smolder the entire wick to ash, just inside the coil. It pretty funny how well rayon still wicks with just the tail.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I still haven't figured out why anyone would buy cotton, rayon or wire from a vape peddler. I'd bet my left nut that any wick product they sell is just repackaged with some gimmicky name (I'd call mine something like "the strands of God" and it'd just be Koh Gen Do but the package, hype and price would make you think it was grown and blessed by the man himself) and sold for ATLEAST 10 times more than you'd pay for it direct from a non vape reseller or manufacturer.

Fiber freaks need fiber marks. The question you have to ask yourself is: Are you a fiber mark?

There's a sucker born every minute and these vape peddlers are taking full advantage of that fact :) I'll go and hopelessly rest my head in my hands now and feel for all the marks getting bled by these vampires.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Anytime you see a few new members with near zero post counts hyping up a new product that doesn't really look like anything new.. red flag aka dontwasteyourtime

Yeah and another that's a member for a few weeks, I assume is a completely unknowledgable newbie, then comes out like and expert trying to make me look stupid... It's like dude I was simplifying it, thought you knew nothing. He was also taking shots at superX.

What I see is fiber freaks is carded lyocell rayon to make it easier to work with, for some, especially those coming from kogendo. And no there's nothing wrong with the product.. Just overpriced, like anything in small amounts.. The rayon we have in the states is not easy to find in Europe, they are simply taking advantage of that a little.

It's magnitudes cheaper if you figure out how to use the other varieties, but you have to be able to get them.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL

Unfortunately Imind, I think your doing something wrong.. Probably not using enough and dryburning the coil which will burn the rayon like paper.

Most recently I went 180ml at 1.3/6v. Wick was still intact and working, even after auto firing in the couch cushion, still in one piece... Tbev also went 225ml in his sqonker at .15, yes .15 mech with CCR

Last edited:

hippesthippo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit, MI
Rayon is totally different to wick with than cotton. I stopped using Rayon when I got turned on to Boosted. DAAAAAANNNGGG that juice is good. And my buddy just so happens to be a regional distributor for them. In other words, I vaped pretty much nothing but Boosted for a really, really long time.

Problem is, Rayon makes it taste like popcorn. Strawberry/Popcorn is still a decent vape, but... yeah, no. So, I switched back to the off-white kohgendoh. Voila, BoostedStrawberryYellowCakeCreamyNutty goodness!

When I finally got sick of Boosted, I tried going back to Rayon wicking and had problems for days. :( Too much, too little, blah blah blah.

Seriously, whatever wicking medium works best for you is the right one.

DejayRezme

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    I still haven't figured out why anyone would buy cotton, rayon or wire from a vape peddler. I'd bet my left nut that any wick product they sell is just repackaged with some gimmicky name (I'd call mine something like "the strands of God" and it'd just be Koh Gen Do but the package, hype and price would make you think it was grown and blessed by the man himself) and sold for ATLEAST 10 times more than you'd pay for it direct from a non vape reseller or manufacturer.

Fiber freaks need fiber marks. The question you have to ask yourself is: Are you a fiber mark?

There's a sucker born every minute and these vape peddlers are taking full advantage of that fact :) I'll go and hopelessly rest my head in my hands now and feel for all the marks getting bled by these vampires.

It's 30% less carbon footprint! You 'muricans always buy whole a metric tonné of anything "to save" but how will you ever use it up? How is that saving? What about poor mother nature? An 95% less water wat about draught in californica???

Haha just kidding. But seriously I'm going to order it. It probably is just overpriced rayon but I don't have rayon and I really don't want to have a huge box of it. Also we don't have a cheap supplier over here in Europe anyways. And it is possible that it wicks better than rayon even if it consists of the exact same stuff because of the thickness / length of the fiber strands or something. What's interesting is it apparently starts to burn at 460°C/860°F (compared to cotton with flashpoint / charring at about 210°C / 410°F). But of course it could char much sooner and they gave the "self ignition" temperature. Maybe it's a scam, maybe it's incremental progress.

BTW doesn't rayon have a slight taste of it's own?

Common SuperX, even if it's just 1% better? As a serious youtube reviewer can you even afford to not test it? ;) Hehehe

DejayRezme

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    Well, I take it all back :D The initial impressions are pretty bad.

First you have sheets that are crammed and crumpled into the far too small package.
    Worse is that the direction of the fibers are random and not parallel at all like in KGD. Maybe this doesn't matter but at least it's much easier to pull apart. Is rayon like this as well?

But so far it works and I haven't noticed any taste whatsoever. Haven't done any temperature / char tests yet.

Reactions: JeremyR
    Hi there,thought I would tell you my experience with fiber freaks.i am normally using ko gen do as good vape and cheap.I got given a sample pack of two different density,number 1 is like cotton,number 2 is like a thin pad which you need to cut with scissors.I found number 2 to be good in rebuildable tanks.I hate to say it as its quite expensive for me but the flavour is a lot tastier,can feel it more in your mouth.it wicks brilliant and I'm using 70vg juice.so yesterday I bought a pack for £3.99 and i think it's worth it,could get a bit more but it is very good.the density number 1 is more for drippers,i think anyway.I will have to see how long it lasts to see if I can afford to buy it regularly.it's not rayon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread