Fired for Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navy20

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2014
New York State, USA
Austink, sorry you lost your job over something like this. My employer says I can vape in the designated smoking areas but not on the production line. So that is what I do . . . Vape in the designated smoking areas. No damn reason to lose my job because I can't follow rules. I understand where you coming from . . . There is a difference between smoking and vaping. While I will forever believe that vaping is the better alternative, I am not going to put my family in a situation that I had control over and didn't. Wish you the best of luck in finding new employment.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Sorry to see the OPer deleted.
Glad he found a new job. Hopefully it is better than the last one.

When in doubt ASK dont assume, especially if it is your job or a place you plan to come back to! If you are a patron, I think the person asking you to stop would be more courteous (as they dont want to lose a customer), but you never know.
Vaping is still relatively unknown and personally I think asking give a less volatile opportunity to teach others about it. If they see you "smoking" they are instantly in "YOU SHOULDN'T DO THAT HERE!" mode. Some people are hard to cool down, and once they make the ruling, they will stick with it.

EL Pistoffo

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
S. FL
"Doesn't matter, you offended someone.

That is the moral of the whole story. That's all that matters in today's Amerika. It's all about feelings and emotions (Political Correctness). Rule of law and logic are no longer of importance and take a back seat.

The wussification of Amerika is almost complete.

AveryW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
KY, USA
Now xxxxxx is an at-will work state, but he has made it seem like you will not be fired for something unless it is wrong and breaks a rule in the employer manual. I'm still in shock about today, I have only worked there for a year but have never even had a warning.
KY is also the same way being an at will/right to work state. However I do know that laws here say that being fired for something along these lines would sound like discrimination. I know here smokers as well as non smokers are protected as a group to where you can't be fired for smoking or not smoking if you're not in violation of any direct rules, which honestly it doesn't sound like you are.

Sent from my GS3

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
After reading this and thinking about it... this being about the "e-cigarette" is merely a small part of the story. This seems more of the office group that always looks for things to gossip and tattle tale. I work in an office and this happens daily... someone forgets to put paper in the copy machine and that group comes slithering out mouthing off about it and trying to get someone in trouble. I've seen people get yelled at over a trash can that was emptied the night before but the bag was not replaced... I've even seen someone get in trouble because someone said they were late, and in fact, they were not late and even had security camera proof (didn't matter, they still got barked at)... This whole "it bothered someone" is a bit ridiculous... I get bothered by many many things every day and yet I don't go whining to the boss every time I smell a fart...

Office drama is worse than high school drama.

Last edited:

xICooRsYIx

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
Im sorry to hear about that. Its funny, these e-cigs have been getting really popular over the last 4 years or so and you still rarely see them being used in any buildings. I think ive seen them used by people sitting at a bar a few times, but thats it. Never when walking around in a store, never in restaurants, nothing. Mainly because we have it in our minds that it is not right to "smoke" in a building. And once you do it. even tho people know its not smoke, it still attracts the awkward looks and stares.

I was at a local bar the other night and had a disposable blu e-cig with me. I took a couple puffs and instantly had a bouncer come up to me and tell me i couldnt use it in there. I questioned him and he said i just cant use it. OK. Later that night before i left i did it again not even thinking, I saw the same bouncer with a couple others start walking my way. If i wasnt already on my way out i swear they would have kicked me out.

I know its not really related to work, but it just shows that places are still enforcing the "no smoking" law even if its just water vaper. I myself work at a cook, so its a little different for me to use this at work. I couldnt just pull out and start vaping with food around. even though its just vapor i just dont think its acceptable as far as proper sanitation.

-xICooRsYIx

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
The workplace. Ugh.... Wait until they start drug-testing for nicotine. God forbid your produce clerk should be a stoner, he might give you a squash instead of a banana.

Here in crazy-liberal California, ya never know which way the wind is blowing, or exactly what is in that wind itself. People are so confused and confusing, no labels apply. Do employees get to ask their boss about their smoking habits or give them a drug test when they think there might be a problem? Had an employer who blew the payroll on his coke habit once. Week and a half of physical labor I never got paid for. But not always all the employer's fault. Everyone at work is so law-suit happy all the time I don't blame them for being paranoid. Hear employees talk about their lawyers like the sharks they are: "Gotta talk to my boy, he'll get me some real money outta this joint."

So glad I'm old and get to stay home all the time now.

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
KY is also the same way being an at will/right to work state. However I do know that laws here say that being fired for something along these lines would sound like discrimination. I know here smokers as well as non smokers are protected as a group to where you can't be fired for smoking or not smoking if you're not in violation of any direct rules, which honestly it doesn't sound like you are.

Sent from my GS3

His county passed an ordinance. Since he worked for the county he should have been aware of it.

oxidus

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Canada
Hmm, I guess that is a bit of a grey area. I don't vape at work personally, I wouldn't even try. We have medical devices and I have no idea how it may affect them (if at all).

But if it's just an office environment, honestly, I think the employer was out of line. It sucks having no job, but if that's all it took to get 'fired' then maybe it's for the best that you aren't there.

Hi everyone. I'm in the UK and have recently made the switch to vaping after a long and damaging smoking career (if you can call it that). I use my Vaper in work, at my desk and so far nobody has batted an eyelid. If anything, it's provoked a lot of interest. I work in a drug and alcohol support service and have discussed the e-cig/vaper with some of my clients, many of whom have also made the switch. We obviously have a strict 'No Smoking' policy in the workplace but like I said, I haven't had any bad reports or been told I can't vape inside the building. I suppose things are different over the pond. Do you really have so many people who get deeply offended at the slightest thing without exploring it first? I'm intrigued...!

Thanks, AndyF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread