Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
That is the moral of the whole story. That's all that matters in today's Amerika. It's all about feelings and emotions (Political Correctness). Rule of law and logic are no longer of importance and take a back seat.

The wussification of Amerika is almost complete.

Rule of law is exactly why the OP was fired. In his county it is illegal to vape anywhere smoking was prohibited.

This is why it's important for us to pay attention to what our local officials are up to.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Hi everyone. I'm in the UK and have recently made the switch to vaping after a long and damaging smoking career (if you can call it that). I use my Vaper in work, at my desk and so far nobody has batted an eyelid. If anything, it's provoked a lot of interest. I work in a drug and alcohol support service and have discussed the e-cig/vaper with some of my clients, many of whom have also made the switch. We obviously have a strict 'No Smoking' policy in the workplace but like I said, I haven't had any bad reports or been told I can't vape inside the building. I suppose things are different over the pond. Do you really have so many people who get deeply offended at the slightest thing without exploring it first? I'm intrigued...!

Thanks, AndyF

Short answer: YES

Especially if one is dealing with office cliques. Female ones are the most predictable and underhanded. The office the OP worked for may have had him on a short list to be terminated anyway. Maybe one of the "ladies" had a friend of a cousin who needed a job. Maybe the OP rebuffed an advance by one of the clique. All it took was for the office busybodies to complain to seal the deal.

Last edited:

Leenuna

Jan 27, 2014
Indiana
Unfortunately I agree with other posters that there is nothing that can be legally or anything else that can be done as vaping is still a very grey area. I typically just go with the smoking rules in my state. Some people will never understand that vaping is not smoking and not harmful. While awareness is a great thing some people are just not able to accept new things outside of their realm.

Back to vaping at your desk.... Well, until the greater population understands that vaping is loads more safer than smoking doing it indoors in a public place is not the best way to go. So many view vaping as e-tabacco! (Not to mention that so many people need to have the government say ,"Yes, e-cigs are safe!" & even then would question it!) Try to be patient with those who do not understand. In the mean time would be best to stuck with the smoking laws.

I would file unemployment though as they did not give reason for termination. Best of luck finding a new job... When you get a new job be sure to see what their view on vaping around the workplace is. Good luck again & get on the unemployment for sure! (Sorry for long post! It got away from me!)

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Unfortunately I agree with other posters that there is nothing that can be legally or anything else that can be done as vaping is still a very grey area.

Rubbish! If employees are given a handbook that specifies termination causes and procedures, that handbook is known as an implied contract. The employer MUST follow the letter of the contract in order to terminate an employee. Failure to do so would be a breach of said contract. At will state of not...

MrsPressley

Jan 24, 2014
United States
I am sorry you are going through this mess, especially since you had never gotten into any sort of trouble or had a warning before hand. To me he should have sit down and spoken with you about it so you would know the rules because when I worked at Days Inn at the front desk I was using those crappy e cigs from the gas station and my boss had absolutely no problem with me smoking right there inside the building. I don't think you deserve to lose your job over something that most people have no knowledge about. Its unfair to you but seems to be too late to try to get your job back at *****. I would go to the unemployment office and if you don't want to receive unemployment try to find another job - at your interview find out all the information you need to know about vaping and where you can do it without getting into trouble.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
... Well, until the greater population understands that vaping is loads more safer than smoking doing it indoors in a public place is not the best way to go. So many view vaping as e-tabacco! (Not to mention that so many people need to have the government say ,"Yes, e-cigs are safe!" & even then would question it!) Try to be patient with those who do not understand. In the mean time would be best to stuck with the smoking laws.

I agree, but I think there is some responsibility on us 'the vapers' to help to educate. If it wasn't something you were interested in why would you take time to learn about it? We have to spoon feed it to most, I think.
If only smokers new about vaping, and we all stuck to the smokers rules, how would the rest of the general public know anything about it?

There is a problem in the US (and else where?) with the whole PC thing. It's always driven me nuts, and as a result I'm a more reserved person when people other than my close friends are around.
I wish people would just pipe up if they have a problem with something and not go around gossiping about it. "No, I don't have a problem with it" and then goes and talks to the boss... what a bunch of crap. I can think of several examples of this sort of behavior I've seen first hand. She could have apposed with some tact. either "I dont, but I know there are others in the office that have allergies, so you may want to take it out side" (if thats the case) or "I would prefer if you didn't smoke that around me", and probably the most appropriate: "I think there is a county rule about vaping in government buildings, I would put that away before anyone else sees it." case closed. job done. no one needs to get fired over dumb stuff.

Sorry for the mini rant, I guess some people need this kind of drama in their lives. I have sisters like this. They don't seem to be aware of what they are doing, or that they are doing anything wrong... I have pointed it out, and they dont like that either... LOL ... Its obnoxious.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
The world is slowly going bananas isn't it. You know back in the 90's a prison cell would constantly smell of crap, literally, crap, that was where you'd go to toilet, in your cell. Fast forward to the present day and what do you find, bunch of sissified youngsters telling you your feet smell, wearing their trousers halfway down their thighs calling each other bruv. Honestly, you'd have to see it to believe it. :laugh:..:facepalm:....It's just so ridiculous !. I blame hammerheads like thatcher !.:laugh:

Wonder if employees are allowed to vape in cigarette factories !.

Last edited:

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I lost my last shred of outrage 3 years ago, when I learned (the hard way) that my employer's HR department had adopted a policy of "ambush" interviews, to respond to any employee's complaint against another, no matter how frivolous. The target of the grievance is tricked by a manager into "taking a walk", then steered into a conference room, where the attackers are waiting for an unprepared victim ...

Not "illegal", though certainly the practice of a morally bankrupt management team, and a predatory HR department ...

There is some vindication. My division's HR staff is now under investigation by their corporate superiors. For unscrupulous practices ? No ...

Apparently they participated in a cover-up of some accounting abnormalities ...

I used to feel some sense of fulfillment from my job. Now I am counting the days to retirement, and regard my workplace as a mine field ... :(

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I just saw this and had to go see what happened.

If the OP knew the back story it could be most anything. Maybe the supervisor was told that he had to cut one from his work group. Maybe he was making a point by taking out the first vaping offender in hopes that the "problem" would go away in fear of like treatment. Sounds like the company has a wide group of potential employees to pick from or they wouldn't be so quick to kick people out on the first offense.

At my company an infraction was treated by a warning and the next offense put people "on the plan" where they had to be upstanding corporate citizens for 90 days to avoid corrective action. It looks like companies are taking advantage of the relatively high unemployment rate by adopting a tough policy.

I'm glad to be retired. I smoked when I worked and all I had to do was walk outside. I had someone ask me the other day, "Is that medical <something unmentionable here that several states have legalized>?". I went through the explanation of vaping as I usually do.

Last edited:
Sorry to get "Political" - but you can thank the Repukes - I mean Tea Baggers - I mean Republicans for pushing the "Right To Work" stuff down our throats. My company reimbursed me for my EVOD purchase because I was making a "Healthy Choice" but a few weeks later they made a ruling that it (vaping) had to be done outside. Not a problem - I will vape outside but I am not going back to analog!!!

BostonJim

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Sorry to get "Political" - but you can thank the Repukes - I mean Tea Baggers - I mean Republicans for pushing the "Right To Work" stuff down our throats. My company reimbursed me for my EVOD purchase because I was making a "Healthy Choice" but a few weeks later they made a ruling that it (vaping) had to be done outside. Not a problem - I will vape outside but I am not going back to analog!!!

No, you can thank the lib-tards- I mean democrats for cramming the Nanny mentality down our throat. Do as I tell you or be severely punished. If it looks like smoking then its smoking, I don't care if its harmless.

BostonJim

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Las Vegas

By the way...

Right to work means you can't be forced to join a union to keep your job.

It does suck. I took it like a man, but I just needed to vent about it.

Then I salute you sir, some would have made an ... of themselves. I would fall into the "did you read the manual and clear it with "HR, your boss, your supervisor" before I did. Not saying it's right for first offense.

You'll get a better job no time flat. Luck.

AnotherADDiction

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2010
St. Pete, Florida
Wow, this is so wrong in many ways.unfortunately, I can't say I'm shocked.
I guess I am pretty lucky...yesterday, my friend at work and I were trying new flavored out. The worst thing I heard was why do I smell cantaloupe from melon boba.
Sorry, the worst was when my buddy said "that tastes like Satan's ..." - he had some horrible menthol/mint arctic nose clearing flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread