Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Just noticed the Provape badges, nice touch, I was looking at this on my phone earlier and missed that.:toast:
I actually am temped to have a custom skin made for my ProVari using this picture.

If you get serious, let me know and send you a hi-res (with or w/o led eyes).

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Quote Originally Posted by PLANofMAN View Post
I really don't understand the "it's expensive, I can't afford it" mentality that many people have. I'll throw a lowball estimate out there that people were paying $4 a pack, probably per day on their habit. That is over $2,000 per year. Personally, I was spending 10% of my paycheck on smokes. Compared to smoking, there isn't a kit out there that is "unaffordable" to the average ex-smoker. If they are willing to put aside what they used to spend on smokes, 95% could probably buy a ProVari in a month or less. ProVari's are not exclusive, they are always in stock, and compared to some mods out there, mechanicals and Hybrids in particular, the ProVari is a mid-priced model. Just my two cents.

I agree. I forget which thread I saw it in the other day but I actually saw someone post about their 40 dollar investment in a Vamo.

As a full time student I understand being on a budget, and a rather severe one at that, but I couldnt help thinking that if someone considers 40 bucks an investment they have bigger issues than just quitting smoking.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
Hell that would get me 6 packs of American Spirits at the average cost in town.

During a heavy drinking week in the middle of summer, chances are thats a few days.

Given all the other weird stuff people buy for hundreds of dollars that will be outdated or garbage in a few years time, the price of a Provari really doesn't seem that extreme.

Then compare it to some of these one-off mechanicals and the price seems quite reasonable.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I really don't understand the "it's expensive, I can't afford it" mentality that many people have. I'll throw a lowball estimate out there that people were paying $4 a pack, probably per day on their habit. That is over $2,000 per year. Personally, I was spending 10% of my paycheck on smokes. Compared to smoking, there isn't a kit out there that is "unaffordable" to the average ex-smoker. If they are willing to put aside what they used to spend on smokes, 95% could probably buy a ProVari in a month or less. ProVari's are not exclusive, they are always in stock, and compared to some mods out there, mechanicals and Hybrids in particular, the ProVari is a mid-priced model. Just my two cents.
I just realized my math was wrong. $4 a pack x 365=$1,460. Of course, I can't remember the last time I paid $4 a pack. I was buying the cheaper ones at $5.75, and that would equal just over $2,000 a year. 7% of my income straight into my lungs and the trash.

XeniaMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Xenia, Ohio
40 bucks wont even get most folks through a week of cigs. I was smoking a ProV every three weeks or so.

Was still on analogs last week and bought a carton. I don't know how it is in other states, but Pall Mall Lights are up to $55!!! They went up $11 in 2 weeks. How is it where you all live? I'm guessing the California and New York people have it the worst.

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
Was still on analogs last week and bought a carton. I don't know how it is in other states, but Pall Mall Lights are up to $55!!! They went up $11 in 2 weeks. How is it where you all live? I'm guessing the California and New York people have it the worst.

The last time I bought a carton (Dec 2011), it was just a few pennies shy of $40 for Marlboro Gold. The last time I looked (a few months ago) they were right at $42.50. I just couldn't get used to the taste of "budget" cigs i.e. Pyramid/Basic/etc.

Jeremy Evans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2013
Columbus, Georgia, United States
It's rarely about what is best for an individual patient or what is in his best interest, its more about how can we get the most money from the insurance carriers. Or from the insurance carriers' viewpoint, what services can we disapprove of to save our investors the most money.

One would think working for a hospital that I would have great insurance. :lol: In order to take full advantage of my current insurance benefits, my kids have to go to the "in network" Children's Hospital 50 miles away in Dayton, instead of using the "not in the network" Children's Hospital right here in Cincinnati. Something's fishy in this setup. It's certainly not making things convenient for their customers.
:-x

This is sadly true, when my daughter was born, they checked her bellyrubin (I'm sure that is mispelled) and told us they were low and she was doing fine. Then a couple hours later the head nurse or whoever comes in and tells us that her levels were really high and that my 12 hours old baby had to stay in a diaper under what I would call a tanning bed for newborns, and insisted that we had to keep her in there even though she was screaming bc she was stuck over there and we couldnt hold her or console her unless we were feeding or changing her. So I asked to see the labwork where her levels magically spiked to a unhealthy level. Did they ever comply with my requests to see the results that dictated my child stayed in this "torture device". My daughter wasnt yellowish at all and everyone that seen her was saying how great her color was and they didnt see why she had to be in there. When they finally gave us the results they were hidden among her discharge papers in the back. Guess what the levels were the same. Our last nurse was actually super nice and told us to keep her out if she got fussy. She said her levels were fine and didnt understand why they told us she needed that "extra" treatment. Come to find out that there was 2 other military babies born on or around our daughter and magically there babies needed the same "extra" treatment. Overall that was a terrible experience there, I was ready to start knocking people out bc they would snap at my wife and wouldnt explain anything to her or anything only threaten her with the baby would have to stay after she got released. It was pretty bad.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012

Someone in Hawaii posted and said a carton was over $100.00, I think that's true for NYC too. Eeek!

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Someone in Hawaii posted and said a carton was over $100.00, I think that's true for NYC too. Eeek!

Hawaii is one of the best-kept secrets of tyranny in the US. They have outrageous cigarette and gasoline taxes. Their gun laws are nearly as bad as Illinois. And institutional racism is seen as a fundamental operating principal in government. It is a vile cesspit of oligarchy, classism corruption and nepotism.

But they sure have pretty sunsets...

XeniaMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Xenia, Ohio
Ocelot: Yes, Hawaii has horrible prices for lots of things, but $100! OMG that's awful.

Susieq: I grew up in Schaumburg, IL, when I started smoking there in 1984 they were $1.10/pack. Of course I think Chicago has lost its mind since then judging from the news reports lately. Seems like a scary place to live now.

These prices on cigs are like any industry, even though they're addictive they can still price themselves right out of the market. Pretty soon cigs will only be seen as a luxury of the elites and swells at cocktail parties.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Hawaii is one of the best-kept secrets of tyranny in the US. They have outrageous cigarette and gasoline taxes. Their gun laws are nearly as bad as Illinois. And institutional racism is seen as a fundamental operating principal in government. It is a vile cesspit of oligarchy, classism corruption and nepotism.

But they sure have pretty sunsets...

Can I safely surmise you don't surf?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I used to smoke Marlboro Menthols until they suddenly started tasting weird and had a tight draw. I later learned that was from the additive that made them FSC. I started buying "King Mountain," a Native American Marlboro-clone at the reservation smoke shop, since they were exempt for awhile. When I could get to the shop, I paid about $40.00 a carton; I hadn't bought a carton of Marlboros in years, but my guess was that they were in the $50. range.

After all that, was there ever any definitive answer to the question whether or not "Fire Safe Cigarettes" (one of the best oxymorons ever) made cigarettes more harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread