RDA Flavor chaser RDA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bw86

Feb 12, 2015
CA
Hey everyone I would really appreciate some feedback based on experience or knowledge of different flavor chaser RDAs. I currently use a Subtank mini and that helped me kick analogs finally but I miss the freedom of an rda. I am looking for something that produces great flavor and some vapor would be a benefit too. I'm stuck between a couple of different atties with different designs such as the Freakshow, Holmes, and Manta. I like how the Manta is basically leak proof but the price is a little high while an authentic FS or Holmes is more reasonable. I'd probably take the FS over the Holmes. I'm looking for something that will give a nice warm vape like the ST mini and is versatile enough so that I can use single coils or dual coils. Not interested in a Magma at all. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Reduced chamber is the key to flavor. My best: A6 dual coil drilled, cyclone with AFC, and the derringer. The first two reduce the chamber with a smaller diameter, the derringer is short in height. The derringer is the largest chamber of the three and does require the lowest resistance (on a mech) of the three to hit peak flavor. I'm at .2 ohm with only two of the three airholes open.

Three other praised flavor atties out there I like to try. They all reduce the chamber by having a large block of metal as part of the deck: the hellfire shorty, the veritas, and the marquis.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Do you have an authentic Derringer or a clone? I was looking at those too but forgot to mention it. So a build around 1ohm to 0.5ohm would be lacking? Is it able to do single coil builds? Thanks.

I have the Captain Apes clone. I have a 1:1 fasttech clone coming in to see if they are made at the same place. The derringer does have a single coil mode. The air is adjustable, so I am sure you can choke it down to get performance at .5-1 ohm. I like a particular draw pressure and adjust my build from there to get the warmth and flavor I like. I also run a mech, so coil specs is where I make my adjustments.

Bw86

Feb 12, 2015
CA
^^ I ended up going with a Derringer clone. It makes a really flavorful warm vape but it's so leaky! I heard the authentics have the same problem too. Every time I put the cap back on it after juicing up, all the juice built up on that ring just seeps out of every crevice it can find. It's ok for using at home since I can keep a paper towel nearby but I took this thing out with me a couple of days and it was very annoying to use. YMMV as always. My next purchase will be a Manta V2 clone for sure.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
^^ I ended up going with a Derringer clone. It makes a really flavorful warm vape but it's so leaky! I heard the authentics have the same problem too. Every time I put the cap back on it after juicing up, all the juice built up on that ring just seeps out of every crevice it can find. It's ok for using at home since I can keep a paper towel nearby but I took this thing out with me a couple of days and it was very annoying to use. YMMV as always. My next purchase will be a Manta V2 clone for sure.

Well crap thats not good to hear.. Thats the problem the Magma has. I finally got the coil and wick far enough away from the deck that THOSE arent the culprits now but all the condensation in the top cap just drips right down onto the deck and everytime I open it, I have to soak up everything there. I put an oring from the spare pack that came with my old Kayfun Lites on it which seems to help keep it from seeping behind the AFC but man I just opened it to refill it now and probably wiped up a good vape or two worth of juice off the deck.. I guess Ill just have to see when I get it.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Well crap thats not good to hear.. Thats the problem the Magma has. I finally got the coil and wick far enough away from the deck that THOSE arent the culprits now but all the condensation in the top cap just drips right down onto the deck and everytime I open it, I have to soak up everything there. I put an oring from the spare pack that came with my old Kayfun Lites on it which seems to help keep it from seeping behind the AFC but man I just opened it to refill it now and probably wiped up a good vape or two worth of juice off the deck.. I guess Ill just have to see when I get it.
The leaky issue of the derringer is super easy to fix IMO, simply don't take the cap off to drip. Get yourself a nice friction fit drip tip that you can comfortably drip through and leave the top on! I do this with every RDA I own, I'm not sure why people constantly remove the top or drip tip because that stuff is completely avoidable with the right tip!

I have a derringer clone by tobeco, and a magma clone (unknown manufacturer). Both give me amazing flavor. I think the magma is a little bit better flavor, but it might just be the build being better than on my derringer? idk. Derringer gives me a LOT more vapor production and seems to be the best of both works. idk if I'm just being really careful or just haven't used the magma long enough, but I haven't had any issues with leaking unless I over drip. it does require a cleaning for maximum flavor every few drips due to the condensing on the top cap.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
I have a derringer clone by tobeco, and a magma clone (unknown manufacturer). Both give me amazing flavor. I think the magma is a little bit better flavor, but it might just be the build being better than on my derringer? idk. Derringer gives me a LOT more vapor production and seems to be the best of both works. idk if I'm just being really careful or just haven't used the magma long enough, but I haven't had any issues with leaking unless I over drip. it does require a cleaning for maximum flavor every few drips due to the condensing on the top cap.

I rebuilt my Magma last week and this time pushed the coil back so its pretty much hitting the posts and only covers about half the airhole, and it seems to have gotten rid of SOME of the leaking into the airholes, but Im pretty sure its the condensation in the top cap that keeps it going. Last night when I refilled it, I set the cap down on a paper towel and man there was ALOT of juice that seeped down into the towel. Like another 4 or 5 vapes worth of juice. I have an oring under the AFC as Ive seen suggested here, but even right now, I can see juice inside some of the holes on the AFC so its still seeping down. I just hope the Derringer doesnt do this. I got a pretty rad drip tip called the Mix Boy from 101 Vape for it when I ordered my Sig Mini. You can use the stainless tip by itself or its got a Delrin base you can put it in as well, so I should be ok just pulling off the stainless top and dripping through the Delrin base. I hardly ever drip directly into the Magma because if youre not careful you can drip right into one of the airholes, not to mention you cant really see if the well is overfilled or not.. Derringer should be a little better since its got all that 'room' in it as opposed to the well in the Magma that you HAVE to hit or things just go all over the place..

ObsceneJesster

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Baltimore
I love the Freakshow. Probably my favorite RDA right now. I used to hate it until I figured out what to do to keep it from leaking.

If you use the chuff cap, you can keep the chamber attached and just remove the chuff cap to drip. This way, you can still control where your liquid is going. I always like covering my coils and wick which is why I normally don't blind drip.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Like Verb said- reduced chamber size is key to flavor.

My top picks for flavor attys are: Doge, Freakshow, Mutation X, Holmes and CLTv2.

I own all of the with exception of the last one. If I had to pick a favorite based on flavor alone, I would have to say freakshow. However, due to it's problems with leaking/difficulty of building, it's in my #3 spot as overall favorite atty. My favorite with all things considered would be the Doge, with the Mutation X running a close 2nd. Well-built, easy to build, awesome flavor, reasonable price and no leaks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread