Flavor chaser - wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
On Tuesday I rewicked my Zeus dual rta. After encountering some issues before that, I successfully rewicked with no leaking or gurgling. It was just perfect.

Anyway, yesterday I continued using it and it started feeling a bit like it was burnt. And also, flavor doesn’t seem to be too intense.

Would the amount of cotton influence how good of a flavor I get? I’ve heard nothing but good things about flavor on this rta, so perhaps I’m not using enough cotton?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Would the amount of cotton influence how good of a flavor I get? I’ve heard nothing but good things about flavor on this rta, so perhaps I’m not using enough cotton?
The amount of cotton does indeed influence flavor, and also influences if the RTA will be leaky.

The "quality" of your cotton used can also influence flavor. Some folks get by with regular organic cotton balls, while others swear by cotton bacon with the fibers all running in the same direction. Still others swear by cellucotton (Rayon). All of these materials will eventually break down and fail to transport e-liquid to the coil, resulting in a muted flavor or burnt taste.

Every RTA has a learning curve concerning wicking. It's often said that RTA's are less forgiving to wicking errors compared to a RDA. RTA's are extremely fussy IMHO. I would watch as many You Tube videos on the Zeus dual RTA as possible. You're bound to find at least one method that will work for you. It will be trial and error. Sorry, but their are no absolutes in this area of vaping.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Agree with @Baditude . What kind of cotton are you using? And it's possible you used too much cotton after the whole flooded deck event, in which case the wick can't keep up and gets a little dry. Not enough for a full on burnt hit but enough to mess with the flavor. I know this sucks, but very very few, hit it right off the bat. It took me quite a while to get consistent in good wicking for consistent performance.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I’m using Cotton Bacon Prime :) I guess I’ll have to continue testing it.

Here's a list of vendors who sell Muji cotton. Totally worth taking a look.

UNBLEACHED COTTON PADS | eBay

[MUJI MoMA] UNBLEACHED CUT COTTON Organic Facial Pads 180pcs ELECTRONIC CIGARETT 765343077071 | eBay

Ships from Taiwan.
Excellent price !.

This is probably the best way to buy cotton for vaping. Muji is great, all fibres run parallel, great price for 180 pads.

Probably take about a month for it to be delivered. I buy from China now and again. Similar length of time for deliveries.

(Edit:
In fact, if you check further down the page it says 5 to 8 weeks to Brazil & Peru.)

A pack of 180 muji organic cotton pads for vaping could literally last years.

You'll find some vendors might sell Muji Cotton Pads for ridiculously high prices.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You'll get used to it with the cotton bacon. There are cheaper options. You can look for unbleached organic Japanese cotton pads typically sold for makeup removal like the Muji Evan described. You might well find it in the pharmacy or cosmetics shop locally. Work just fine and less expensive than the cotton bacon.

• Agree
Reactions: evan le'garde

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Eskie said:
But do they have Sally's Beauty supplies in Peru?

Someone here stated in a similar thread that Kotex feminine tampons had the appropriate Rayon that could be vaped. (Not previously used, of course.)

TrollDragon said:
If you are stuck for a source of Rayon or even want to try it. Then Kotex U Sleek tampons (available everywhere) have an medical grade, top quality Rayon core.

You just have to skin and gut them. :D

giphy.gif

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
KohGenDo Japanese Cotton. No wet t-shirt taste like rayon.
Twist the end of your cotton to start it through. You should feel a slight drag as the cotton fills the coil. If you have to force the cotton through, it's too much. If there is no slight drag, it's not enough. Either could cause burnt wicks.
Might I ask what kind of voltage you are vaping at ?

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
Ok guys, since I’m still talking flavor I’m just gonna ask here. Vaping tastes nasty on my RTA right now. I went out last night and I had to switch back to my regular tank with drop ins. Honestly, it tastes so good I don’t even wanna mess with the RTA anymore ;/

I wonder if I’ve actually burnt my coil already or if I used too much cotton and that’s what’s making it taste bad

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
Pic of the coils would help. Good that you have a drop in tank for backup, these things happen.. think it takes a while for most to find a tank/mod combination they are comfortable with as a daily driver. Once you did that setup though, it's pretty smooth sailing from there.. how long that takes, and how much it cost getting there??? Like juice flavor's, everyone is different.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
Pic of the coils would help. Good that you have a drop in tank for backup, these things happen.. think it takes a while for most to find a tank/mod combination they are comfortable with as a daily driver. Once you did that setup though, it's pretty smooth sailing from there.. how long that takes, and how much it cost getting there??? Like juice flavor's, everyone is different.

My RTA was just fine :( but then I rewicked with more cotton than usual and now it’s grossie gross :(

• Optimistic
Reactions: Eskie

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
Never said finding a good drop in coil tank was easy either!! Sorry, it should be easier, but it isn't. What works for me, may not work for you..(that's actually a good thing, I'm old and use old tanks, don't think you could buy one anyway).. I know you have just been buying what is carried at a local shop. That really limits your choices. I would really be learning to coil and wick if I had to depend on local vape stores.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
One of the issues with vaping oppose to smoking is the learning curve that goes along with it. Some devices are super easy to deal with, but the compromise is they may not provide a satisfying vape. I’d put RTA’s on the higher end of that learner curve, but once dialed in they can provide a very satisfying experience. There is always a compromise.

Given Cotton Bacon comes in large(ish) bundles that has to be broken down, it can be a challenge on getting a consistent amount each time. You will get the hang of it, just have to be patient and keep trying. There are also brands out there that make for easier wicking, such as Firebolt Cotton. These come in shoe lace type strips that are perfect for a 3 to 3.5mm coil. Tad more expensive than Cotton Bacon but you are paying for convenience and consistency. Again, always a compromise.

Japanese pad are extremely inexpensive in comparison to the “Vape” marketed cotton. I find these just as easy as the shoe lace type cotton for the pads are consistent in density and you can measure and keep track of each cut. With the pads that I use, I multiply the inner diameter of my coil by 4 and use that measurement to cut a strip. So a 3mm coil I will cut a 12mm strip. Just to note these pads come with a harder outside layer that should be removed being careful not to remove too much of the softer cotton underneath. Do this after you have made your cuts but prior to wicking your coil.

Among the different cotton I have tried, I don’t really find any to excel in flavour and or longevity. Haven’t tried Rayon, but curiosity has gotten the best of me and I have a small sample on its way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread