The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Florida Chat

Discussion in 'Florida Vapors Club' started by Mary Kay, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Corki2

Corki2 Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 16, 2009
    USA, TampaBay, FL
    Here ya go MaryKay :D

Rings Christmas 2007 079.jpg

2. Mary Kay

Mary Kay ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    House..or box..NOT condo! That looks like it should be among the Mexican pyramids!:rolleyes:

3. Corki2

Corki2 Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 16, 2009
    USA, TampaBay, FL
    Lol, it's actually a bat tower in Key West. It was supposed to attract bats, which, in turn would kill mosquitoes. It didn't workout too good, probably because nobody told the bats to go there. :)

4. greyeyes

greyeyes Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2009
    Florida
    Have any luck with the Listerine keeping the mosquitos away MaryKay?

5. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    Greyeyes, No idea! It doesn't look like there are as many as before, but that may be due to the bug spray. Who knows..it smells nice though.:rolleyes:

Corki, Signs..just put up signs! Or maybe make it look like a bell tower?:p

6. MissVapor

MissVapor Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2009
    Vapin Hot Florida
    The listerine spray is a myth for mosquitos..try using dryer sheets , I heard they work.

7. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    So how do I get the little guys to wipe themselves down with the dryer sheets? Or should I try hanging them around the door? gee won't that look fab?

8. marg

marg Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 28, 2009
    FL/MN
    hahaha, you're really making me want to run back there, heat, hurricanes, loss of power/water, mosquito's and you haven't mentioned the giant snakes and spiders (most poisonous, lol)
    I stopped to see some friends at a campground last weekend, Tammy had this white sheet pulled thru her zipper pull on her sweatshirt (yes, sweatshirt at 3pm, it IS MN afterall) I didnt ask but finally figured out it was a fabric softener sheet. next time I see her I'll see if she is still 'wearing' it. that will tell if it worked or not, lol

9. marg

marg Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 28, 2009
    FL/MN
    BTW @ MaryKay
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :thumbs:

10. MissVapor

Apr 25, 2009
    Vapin Hot Florida
    ON a TV show, they said to just put a new dryer sheet in your pocket...I wouldn't put it on my skin,,but might rub it on long sleeves and pants..

11. MissVapor

Apr 25, 2009
    Vapin Hot Florida
    Uggh..I hate spiders..we have brown recluses here and cottonmouth snakes..8-o

12. T-BAYJ

T-BAYJ Full Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Tampa Bay , FL
    I get asked from time to time "what kind of cologne are you wearing?"
    I tell them Skinsations by Cutter

you would think with the 4000 + chemicals in my body from analog's they would leave me alone , WRONG! they love me for some reason I get bit the fastest , most &and worst then anyone I Know

and I banned smoking inside my house when my daughter was born and we moved to a bigger home

when I get my first e-cig kit soon , Maybe I'll check see if they some juice with DEET in it

the trucks came and sprayed finally in my area , helped for two days ..one my neighbors must have a mosquito farm (standing water) gonna have to do some snooping

13. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    All those critters need is a dog dish! I have to make sure we empty ours everyday and refill with nice fresh water. I don't even know why we bother..the dog won't go out in the heat!
    I saw some contraption on T.V. today called a 86 or something..it's a leafblower that sprays a mosquito spray. $247.00! The guy from the insect study group said sure it would work..for a few hours and then only if it didn't rain (In florida..in the summer, fat chance!). But since mosquitos live in the neighbors yard, they will just fly on over for a bite.
    I have lived in Florida for most of my life, but in the tampa area. When we moved to central Florida..I was shocked by the sheer size of the spiders! They are humongous!!! I am afraid to just hit them with a broom, instead I herd them outside. Yeehaw! It's like being in 8 legged freaks...lol

14. groundsclown

groundsclown Moved On

Apr 12, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    If I may chime in here. There's a product on the market called Mosquito Barrier Mosquito Repellent | Tick Repellent | Natural Mosquito Control by Mosquito Barrier thats a garlic oil based repellant to be used in your yard.
    Now I've got no affiliation to it & never used it myself but on another forum (landscaping related) I visit, those in the pesticide forum that have used it says it worked pretty well.

Being licensed for pesticides for the state of FL, I get/use the harsher stuff myself but for those that lean towards the "greener" more natural side or have pet/children concerns, this might be an alternate choice.
    Plus I hear it makes your yard smell like a pizzeria for a few days (yummy)

Rob (..."I''ll have a Deet on the rocks, please")

15. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    Rob, I know you can make your own tobacco mix with loose tobacco, a dash of dishwashing liquid and water for plants (to keep the pests off) but I wonder if you can make a mix with garlic or garlic powder (not garlic salt) that would work as suggested above? I used to feed it to my dog for fleas but it didn't seem to work..plus I hated the breath! :p

16. SudokuGal

SudokuGal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2009
    USA-Florida
    MaryKay, when do you sleep????? Seems like your postings are throughout the day and night <grin>.

17. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    1983..I slept!:D I post in the afternoon and after dinner..until I get sleepy. One day I will have a life again..yeah right!:rolleyes:
    But I look at it this way, it's legal, and it's mostly free entertainment. On the downside, I guess it's time to do the 1999 spring cleaning.

18. SudokuGal

SudokuGal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2009
    USA-Florida
    LOL. I have problems sleeping through the night but had to break the habit of getting online during those periods...once I started with it, there was no way I could ever go back to sleep.

P.S. I haven't done spring cleaning since I moved to Florida...there is NO spring (at least it gives me a good excuse).

19. groundsclown

groundsclown Moved On

Apr 12, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    I don't know, Mary. I suppose it's possible. Not so sure I'd spray MYSELF down with garlic or my dog for that matter LOL. I'd be carefull spraying plants with any kind of oil mix though unless it's made for it. If you do decide to try something like that, I suggest you spray it on plants either real early or in the evening (best) so the sun/heat doesn't damage the foliage. Like I said before. For me, I use Deet. Walmart, Coleman brand, little pump bottle in the camping section, stated 100% Deet.
    For my dog it's Advantage & Frontline. Not at the same time but swapped every 3-6 months. Rotating products keeps critters from building a tolerance.
    As for skeeters, I don't spray my yard or where I work for them specifically. Although the stuff I use, Bifenthrin mostly, I'm sure there's colateral mosquito damage LOL. Plants/shrubs both at home here & at work get either Bifenthrin or an Acephate based mix...Also sold as Ortho Systemic at Home Depot. God awefull smelling stuff but works well.

Rob

20. Hi Ladies,

Thought I would join in on the bug talk :). I have been camping for many years, most of it in FL (from tents to our travel trailer). When we are outside, the best thing that works is a breeze to keep the skeeters away. That's when I plug in a fan. They are attracted to CO2 and dark clothing. We also found a cool gadget called a Thermacell that you can get at wally world and sporting good places. Just be careful as sometimes the refills are all over the place on price.

Someone once mentioned to me there was something made out of catnip that was all natural that worked indoors as well as outside. But we have two cats and I like my furniture :oops:

I agree with the poster that called them the state bird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.